Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yet another garbage game against a garbage team, always seems like this lowly wings team too.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Not at his ppg it won't.
It is getting tough to watch such an inept offensive display on a team with supposedly the best forwards in the league.

I am without any answers, this has been like the movie “Groundhog Day” forever.

Do we need a few Michael Ferland bangers on the forward lines? Someone to inject energy?

Is it the coaching? I didn’t want to go here but Nylander and Kadri with less than 10 minutes of 5 on 5 last night? More Brown than Kapanen? Like 20 seconds of Kapanen in overtime?

Help?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
They did, he was replaced by Nylander on the top unit.

But it's really dumb that Babcock pulls the top unit off the ice after 40-50 seconds. Then the second unit plays 40-50 seconds, does nothing, and the first unit but with two D comes on for a garbage final 20-ish seconds.

Just leave the stacked unit on for 1:30 like other coaches do.
They don't leave them out for 1:30 when they struggle to generate much of anything especially something such as zone entry.

The issue is the PP is too much of the Marner show running an ISO with him and his decisions with the puck have not been good at all for some time now not to mention way too slow in moving the puck.

When the PP was successful Marner moved the puck quickly. The puck moved around and when it got to Marner on the half wall he attacked a transitioning PK before they were set that gave him 3 options. It's one deadly set up when puck movement sets up Marner to make plays rather than giving him the puck like a guard in Basketball ISO play with the others sitting still waiting for him to do something.

Once again even for the PP it comes down to compete leading your skill rather than your skill leading your compete. If not everybody is on board with this simple tactic your skill level doesn't matter how talented it is will take you only as far as your goaltender can take you in the long run...

The issue isn't system, isn't Babcock... It's a wakeup call for the players to put there big boy pants on and start to make COMPETE the bread and butter of there game in bringing there skill level and not the other way around.

How do you beat high end talent? You outwork it
How do you beat high end talent that outworks you? With a hope and a prayer your goalie is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd star of the game.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe Leivo was that guy. Their point pace when they had him was easily second in the league. Without him it is lottery pick pace.

You might be joking but team chemistry is a weird thing, its a hard thing to create. They certainly have not had as good of a record since then. Correlation or causation?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You might be joking but team chemistry is a weird thing, its a hard thing to create. They certainly have not had as good of a record since then. Correlation or causation?

I agree. I wasn't joking. Of course, I have no idea, but I think that he could have been a bit of dressing room presence, and I think that other players seeing how strong he was making that fourth line would be a boost to the overall team attitude. They just don't seem to be "bringing it" any longer.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Well, I don't know thing losing him had a big effect on our record, but I will say that Leivo was an excellent PP player and with him the 2nd PP was a lot better.

Reactions: yubbers

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Well, I don't know thing losing him had a big effect on our record, but I will say that Leivo was an excellent PP player and with him the 2nd PP was a lot better.
He's better than Brown. I'm still mad about that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad