Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That ref..right there..should lose his Job, be summoned to a hearing for a suspension or a huge demotion down to peewee.

Publicly shamed? like in GoT for Cersei.

or should be planted face down, face in front of the net, and let every leaf take a slapshot... like paul walker in that movie.
" You wanna close your eyes now DONT YOU REF"!?!!?

I'm just ranting and jk around... but i am sick of this.
Refs anti-leaf bias is becoming more and more blatant

If it was Mo who hit a blue jacket, and our guys cheat changing like that, it'll be a 5on3 for the jackets so quick, you'd think the whistle noises were part of the damn MUSIC

end rant///

I can see the case for interference, but that reply doesn't look nearly as bad as it did live. It was shoulder to shoulder. A bit of embellishment by Rielly, but still could be an interference call for sure.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Where were you when the Swedish player got his stick slashed out of his hands and that led directly to a turnover that resulted in Canada scoring to make it 3-1? That was after a 6-1 penalty parade that included 2 PPs to Canada in the final 10 mins of a championship game.

Like most on the winning side, you may have been celebrating the win and telling Swedish fans to suck it up.

Refs influence games. That's what happens. Roll with it.

I believe my first comment was about how that obvious penalty wasn't called but I dont expect you to have looked that up of course. That is also with the usual crap junior refs and I also believe I expressed gratitude that we were on the right side of the random incompetence that is the IIHF refs. Swedish fans had every right to be angry with that non call. Like many others on the winning side, are you trying to generalize me as some brainless homer in an attempt to be fair? I dunno?

I mean, heaven forbid the announcers wonder why our number one dman gets taken out with a high hit at center ice nowhere near the puck and his glove goes flying off down the ice and there is no call. Doesnt matter right? I'm sure theres also an equivalent hit that the Leafs have done in overtime this year but I cant seem to find it. Help me out if you can. Maybe Martin took out Doughty or OEL this year the same way with the game on the line? I just cant remember it though......

What if Rielly was injured on the play....does it become a penalty then? I dunno.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol how the hell did they lose? I turned off the game when the leafs were winning 2-0. I woke up this morning to check the final score and it was 3-2....ffs

LOL. I had similar thoughts last night, we're up 2-0 and I'm enjoying life (duh), then my wife asks me to have a look at something. Normally I'd be recording the game so I'd just pause it but I'd pressed a wrong button on the remote earlier and was no longer recording so I go away, come back a few minutes later, it's 2-2 and I'm like WTF happened? :rant::rant:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I believe my first comment was about how that obvious penalty wasn't called but I dont expect you to have looked that up of course. That is also with the usual crap junior refs and I also believe I expressed gratitude that we were on the right side of the random incompetence that is the IIHF refs. Swedish fans had every right to be angry with that non call. Like many others on the winning side, are you trying to generalize me as some brainless homer in an attempt to be fair? I dunno?

I mean, heaven forbid the announcers wonder why our number one dman gets taken out with a high hit at center ice nowhere near the puck and his glove goes flying off down the ice and there is no call. Doesnt matter right? I'm sure theres also an equivalent hit that the Leafs have done in overtime this year but I cant seem to find it. Help me out if you can. Maybe Martin took out Doughty or OEL this year the same way with the game on the line? I just cant remember it though......

What if Rielly was injured on the play....does it become a penalty then? I dunno.

I'm not characterizing you as anything.

However, you seem like a knowledgeable hockey fan (maybe played at some level) and as a result you already know the answer to the question you seek.

You just want it to be different.

Officiating is mostly about controlling the game (to the direction of the GMs/League).

They want to see certain things curtailed but not at the expense of the entertainment of the game. It's why not every stick tap is called.

They also don't want to see officials "decide" the outcome of games. It's why the old addage, "let the players decide" has been so widely accepted. (Even if that means a high stick to Doug Gilmour in OT that draws blood).

Of course, that's an idealistic goal. Calls and non calls do help decide games.

But we know based on our wealth of collective experience, that the same penalty in the 1st period is questionable in the 2nd, ballsy in the 3rd and downright rare in OT. The whistle goes away. Right or wrong, it does.

Arguing against it may generate change 50 years from now but I dare say it's like that Simpsons reference of an old man yelling at a cloud.

You know the answer. You are having trouble accepting it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Except they didn't stop attacking. They were very much in control of that third period, limiting the Blue Jackets to 1 shot through the first 15 minutes, outshooting/chancing them. The Blue Jackets got one lucky bounce on their first goal, and capitalized on really the only mistake the Leafs made in that period.

I know they were attacking but I didn't see the intensity to score, more like the BJ's were sitting back rope-a-doping and the Leafs were throwing ineffective shots at them. And it really, to me, looked like the Leafs were trying to run down the clock. Yes, the first goal was a fluke, but the Rielly floater with the Leafs making a horrible change and the BJ's had Ali'd them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there any video of the hit on Reilly? I just assumed it was two guys bumping into each other but reading some of the posts it sounds like he was targetted.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This game brought back bad memories of past habits of the Boston playoff series loss in game 7 with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes and another in OT to snatch what looked like a sure win.

Leafs will need to learn how to close out games better when protecting a lead. More sustained Ozone time and running down the clock with puck possession and structure still needs improvement.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not characterizing you as anything.

However, you seem like a knowledgeable hockey fan (maybe played at some level) and as a result you already know the answer to the question you seek.

You just want it to be different.

Officiating is mostly about controlling the game (to the direction of the GMs/League).

They want to see certain things curtailed but not at the expense of the entertainment of the game. It's why not every stick tap is called.

They also don't want to see officials "decide" the outcome of games. It's why the old addage, "let the players decide" has been so widely accepted. (Even if that means a high stick to Doug Gilmour in OT that draws blood).

Of course, that's an idealistic goal. Calls and non calls do help decide games.

But we know based on our wealth of collective experience, that the same penalty in the 1st period is questionable in the 2nd, ballsy in the 3rd and downright rare in OT. The whistle goes away. Right or wrong, it does.

Arguing against it may generate change 50 years from now but I dare say it's like that Simpsons reference of an old man yelling at a cloud.

You know the answer. You are having trouble accepting it.

Yikes, what a terrible post. I mean, not everything you say is wrong but some of it is just ... especially the part of Gilmour, the ref simply missed the call, regrets it and has said this:

f I had one opportunity to turn back the hands of time for a “do over” it would be to catch that high-stick.

Sorry but your comment that this wasn't called because:

"let the players decide" has been so widely accepted.

is beyond ridiculous. Here's a link, go educate yourself. If you really are a Maple Leaf fan then there is simply no excuse for not knowing this.

Kerry Fraser opens up about Wayne Gretzky’s infamous high stick on Leafs’ Doug Gilmour: ‘It was missed. Period’

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This game brought back bad memories of past habits of the Boston playoff series loss in game 7 with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes and another in OT to snatch what looked like a sure win.

Leafs will need to learn how to close out games better when protecting a lead. More sustained Ozone time and running down the clock with puck possession and structure still needs improvement.

You're over-reacting with this. We've been very good protecting leads for quite some time now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yikes, what a terrible post. I mean, not everything you say is wrong but some of it is just ... especially the part of Gilmour, the ref simply missed the call, regrets it and has said this:

f I had one opportunity to turn back the hands of time for a “do over” it would be to catch that high-stick.

Sorry but your comment that this wasn't called because:

"let the players decide" has been so widely accepted.

Is beyond ridiculous. Here's a link, go educate yourself. If you really are a Maple Leaf fan then there is simply no excuse for not knowing this.

Personally, I don't believe Kerry missed it I think he just didn't call it. IIRC there was a questionable penalty to Anderson near the end was there not? I think officials are influenced by location and crowd reaction, they are after all not robots.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Personally, I don't believe Kerry missed it I think he just didn't call it. IIRC there was a questionable penalty to Anderson near the end was there not? I think officials are influenced by location and crowd reaction, they are after all not robots.

He describe the entire incident in great detail, it's pretty clear he missed it. There was some error with the link I tried to provide, here's another one. Read through this and ask yourself this - does he sound like he's making it all up?

Kerry Fraser opens up about Wayne Gretzky’s infamous high stick on Leafs’ Doug Gilmour: ‘It was missed. Period’

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We now have 53 points (the same as Boston). The reason for this is Boston just blew a 5-3 lead to Pittsburgh the night before and lost 6-5 in OT.
When it happens on a regular basis I'd be concerned. I'm sure Babs is using this as a new, fresh motivational speech today.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Yes Willy should have been coming back full tilt to cover Werenski, instead he was just sort of drifting. But OK, if it becomes a 2on1 then Gardiner played the 2on1 very poorly. Instead of staying roughly in the middle of the two attackers as he should, he drifts all the way over to Panarin as he's approaching the blue line, this over-committing early leaves Werenski wide open, then as the pass is made, he immediately starts drifting over towards Werenski leaving Panarin wide open.

I believe different coaches will say different things here and it also depends on a few things (the angles and "handedness" of the attacking players probably being the main ones) so there's no easy 100% clear cut answer here but I think most would say something like this: You don't want to just stop the pass and let the guy with the puck have a breakaway, you want to stay roughly in the middle of the two so you're not giving the puck carrier a clear path down the middle and at the same time, you're making it difficult to make a pass. A full description of strategy would be a lot longer than this but I believe that's the general idea.

Watched the replay a few times, and Nylander was actually in really good position until Columbus made their line change, but then didn't pick up his new man fast enough. Jake actually doesn't play it as a 2-on-1, he read that Werenski had run out of room and wanted to get on him tight to prevent him going around the net and hopefully create a change of possession along the boards. Would have been a good play, except he jumped the gun and abandoned Panarin coverage too early. He probably doesn't look as bad if Andersen doesn't lose position. (He also overplays the puck carrier.) So I think all three are at fault to some degree. (And in spite of those mis-plays, they still had it covered well enough that it took a really good play by Panarin to kick it up and get a touch on it with his stick.)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Watched the replay a few times, and Nylander was actually in really good position until Columbus made their line change, but then didn't pick up his new man fast enough. Jake actually doesn't play it as a 2-on-1, he read that Werenski had run out of room and wanted to get on him tight to prevent him going around the net and hopefully create a change of possession along the boards. Would have been a good play, except he jumped the gun and abandoned Panarin coverage too early. He probably doesn't look as bad if Andersen doesn't lose position. (He also overplays the puck carrier.) So I think all three are at fault to some degree. (And in spite of those mis-plays, they still had it covered well enough that it took a really good play by Panarin to kick it up and get a touch on it with his stick.)

I've probably watched it 10 times by now, it was just such an ugly play - in the end there you could draw a circle maybe 6ft in diameter that contained Werenski, Andersen and both our defenders while Panarin was alone in front of the open net. I agree, all 3 are at fault to some degree and that's all I wanted to say really, I don't usually get into dissecting plays in detail but most people seem to be all over Nylander and are putting all the blame on him. So it's not so much that I want to get on Gardiner's case, it's more that I'm sticking up for Nylander as IMHO he had some "help". ;)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Still collecting points in phase 1 of the Cup run? Check.

8 playoff spots still awarded? Check.

In a playoff spot now? Check.

End panic.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think you mean Freddy is bailing them out consistently to make it appear Leafs are in control.

Andersen has put up a brick wall in his crease and its still masking a lot of problems. IMO

I agree Andersen is masking a lot of problems, couldn't agree more in fact, however, this "masking" is evenly spread out throughout the games. Since it's not restricted to when we're protecting a lead, there's no reason to say we need to learn how to close out games and I think it's more accurate to say that we need to learn how to play better period.

Last night is actually a good example, Andersen was doing plenty of "masking" in the first two periods.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Still collecting points in phase 1 of the Cup run? Check.

8 playoff spots still awarded? Check.

In a playoff spot now? Check.

End panic.

Is anyone "panicking"? It might help if you quoted someone, as it is you seem to be tilting at windmills.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

At the end of the day, expect Nylander to be on the 4th line come Wednesday :sarcasm:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

To be fair, weren't they 15-1 when leading after 2? We outshot them 13-4 in the third, giving up only 1 shot for 15 minutes. Yes, they need to close but they've been doing alright.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

the leafs are 15-1-1 when leading after two.
i think they learned how to do that.

let me say this again because i am sure you missed it.
Vancouver deserved to win Saturday night but the Leafs scored two goals in the last what? 10 minutes of the period, and won it in a shootout.
the Leafs deserved to win last night, but all 3 goals the Bluejackets scored were lucky (1st shot = 1st goal, bad mistake, and a turnover). it balanced out.
equating this to the Boston series is dumb. saying the Leafs need to close out games better, without citing their record when leading after 2 periods is also quite silly.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs played an excellent third period last night. Games like last night will happen from time to time. They will win far more games than they lose if they continue that play.

Reactions: Raging Bull

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leafs played an excellent third period last night. Games like last night will happen from time to time. They will win far more games than they lose if they continue that play.

They were pounding CLB for a while there weren't they? I don't even remember what the 3rd period shots were at one point but they were grossly one-sided, maybe 12-1 or something when I was thinking LOL so much for score effects, we've started to play finally and it's wonderful to be in their end all the time with a 2 goal lead, this one looks to be in the bag and then bam, the party's over.

Just one of things. It happens.

Mess - if that game brought back memories of the Boston debacle then I feel sorry for you, I really do. I hope you get over it.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Things have a way of balancing out. Leafs came back 2 down and beat the Canucks and returned the favour yesterday.

You win some and lose some.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They were pounding CLB for a while there weren't they? I don't even remember what the 3rd period shots were at one point but they were grossly one-sided, maybe 12-1 or something when I was thinking LOL so much for score effects, we've started to play finally and it's wonderful to be in their end all the time with a 2 goal lead, this one looks to be in the bag and then bam, the party's over.

Just one of things. It happens.

Mess - if that game brought back memories of the Boston debacle then I feel sorry for you, I really do. I hope you get over it.

right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad