Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Things have a way of balancing out. Leafs came back 2 down and beat the Canucks and returned the favour yesterday.

You win some and lose some.
Leafs are supposed to be a way better team than Vancouver. Columbus isn't supposed to be better than us.
Besides, we really pressed in the 3rd to outplay Vancouver and tie the game up. Columbus did the opposite

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This was probably answered many times but who was calling the game last night. And who was he working with cause it wasn’t Ferraro. Cuthbert and who?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This team is far from a finished product.

But on any given night, we have a chance to beat any team in the league. Young team will go through ups and downs. We should still comfortably make the playoffs

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
When you watch the replay of the winning OT goal, note that Gardiner left the right side of the ice and went towards the puck carrier. Nylander was on the same side of the ice as the puck carrier. He did not switch quick enough to cover After watching the replay several times there is blame I feel to be shared.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes Willy should have been coming back full tilt to cover Werenski, instead he was just sort of drifting. But OK, if it becomes a 2on1 then Gardiner played the 2on1 very poorly. Instead of staying roughly in the middle of the two attackers as he should, he drifts all the way over to Panarin as he's approaching the blue line, this over-committing early leaves Werenski wide open, then as the pass is made, he immediately starts drifting over towards Werenski leaving Panarin wide open.

I believe different coaches will say different things here and it also depends on a few things (the angles and "handedness" of the attacking players probably being the main ones) so there's no easy 100% clear cut answer here but I think most would say something like this: You don't want to just stop the pass and let the guy with the puck have a breakaway, you want to stay roughly in the middle of the two so you're not giving the puck carrier a clear path down the middle and at the same time, you're making it difficult to make a pass. A full description of strategy would be a lot longer than this but I believe that's the general idea.
The problem is, it isn't a straight 2on1, it's a broke play because of the missed assignment. You can't expect the D to assume coverage will breakdown like that, he plays it correctly as a 2on2, then adapts to that breakdown.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The problem is, it isn't a straight 2on1, it's a broke play because of the missed assignment. You can't expect the D to assume coverage will breakdown like that, he plays it correctly as a 2on2, then adapts to that breakdown.

Yeah that's a fair point. I don't think he "adapted" as well as he could have but it all happened so fast from there so it's hard to assess too much blame to him for that. After watching it a few more times I think you're right, Gardiner is less to blame than I thought.

For anyone interested, check this out. It starts with Nylander seemingly in pretty good position but instead of skating hard to get between his man and our net, he just sort of coasts towards Gardiner's man and thus what looked to be a 2 on 2 becomes a 2 on 1. If he doesn't do that we're fine.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe I've watched them too long because I had a feeling it wasn't over.

I also quietly screamed (wife doesn't like loud screams) wake-up when it was still 2-0.

The feel of the game was what I was going on not the stats.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
still dont understand why babcock is looking to play defense 3 on 3...literally only rielly jake zaitsev on D and matthews nylander marner kadri marleau jvr bozak should be playing in OT

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I thought this was Gardiner's best game of the season. Going to be interesting to see how he plays with Carrick.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
One of the best 55mins all season.

They were getting outshot 20-10 early in the 2nd, so not exactly. From 30:00 to 55:00 they were totally dominant, though.

The surprising thing is that they didn't try to turtle and trap their way through the third period, and it was working well... until an unlucky break and an ill-advised stretch pass by Rielly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad