Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 in OT | Down 3-0 in the Series

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares had a bunch of meetings with those interested teams and he chose the Leafs. He was being wooed tenaciously with fancy presentations, etc.. People were following it very closely...you could google it.

Longer term does not mean lower AAV when we're talking about buying prime UFA years for star players...so you're telling me Matthews would have settled for Eichel's $10 million AAV for 8 years? At $11.634 million AAV, a reasonable deal at the time would have been an 8 year term for Matthews...for 5 years, Matthews got everything. Dubas literally rocked the GM boat with that contract, and there were agents talking about how Matthews got everything. Marchand even trolled that Marner should get $12 million, and ironically $10.9 million AAV on a 6 year term is around McDavid money on an 8 year term. It's incredible that Dubas conceded everything.

It's quite obvious Dubious didn't value Nylander in the same light as Matthews and Marner, and he was the first to sign among the Leaf RFA's, so he didn't have as much leverage...no way he would have accepted that deal if he knew what Matthews and Marner would have gotten, though he was still overpaid for the term at the time...he just wasn't as overpaid as Matthews and Marner.
Yes, people were talking about it - I guess that's proof that it is real. Btw, did you know that the earth is flat?

Of course Dubas didn't value Nylander as much as Matthews and Marner, and probably still doesn't. Which is why Willy had to fight to get even the underpayment he did. Thanks for proving my point again.

Because Marchand tried to cause trouble for the Leafs by saying Mitch should have be paid more than Matty, you think he's the authority you should quote?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What do you think ROR would sign here for? I say here, because I assume he's gonna take slightly less to go to a contender or he goes for the longest term where he can get it..
No idear .. but if it was me running team he would be da 1st guy i would sign up for shortest period i could get .. team will need a C going forward as JT is washed now as a C .. and Matty who knows where his head is at but my guess not here unless $$$ is stupid which is why i think he goes soon

Reactions: thewave

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, people were talking about it - I guess that's proof that it is real. Btw, did you know that the earth is flat?

Of course Dubas didn't value Nylander as much as Matthews and Marner, and probably still doesn't. Which is why Willy had to fight to get even the underpayment he did. Thanks for proving my point again.

Because Marchand tried to cause trouble for the Leafs by saying Mitch should have be paid more than Matty, you think he's the authority you should quote?

What point did you prove? The 3 bent the Leafs organization over.

You must be ignorant and naive to think there wasn't demand for Tavares to pay him more than what the Leafs paid him...he was one of the most sought after free agents in the history of the NHL...and there was news out there of what a team like the Sharks were willing to pay him...after the fact , there's no reason for any insider to be digging up details from GMs like Doug Wilson of the Sharks, "Sorry that you lost out on JT, but exactly how much were you offering him?" It's old news and would be asinine for a journalist to asks a GM after the fact.

Marchand trolled because it didn't take a genius to figured that Matthews was overpaid for his term...there is such a thing as comparables, and Matthews had none because his contract was so outrageous...it was recognized by the industry that Matthews got everything while Dubas conceded everything...Marchand obviously saw that Dubas was willing to be bent over, and that attitude would be transferred over to Marner's contract as well, which it did.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

You must be ignorant and naive to think there wasn't demand for Tavares to pay him more than what the Leafs paid him...he was one of the most sought after free agents in the history of the NHL...and there was news out there of what a team like the Sharks were willing to pay him...after the fact , there's no reason for any insider to be digging up details from GMs like Doug Wilson of the Sharks, "Sorry that you lost out on JT, but exactly how much were you offering him?" It's old news and would be asinine for a journalist to asks a GM after the fact.

Marchand trolled because it didn't take a genius to figured that Matthews was overpaid for his term...there is such a thing as comparables, and Matthews had none because his contract was so outrageous...it was recognized by the industry that Matthews got everything while Dubas conceded everything...Marchand obviously saw that Dubas was willing to be bent over, and that attitude would be transferred over to Marner's contract as well, which it did.
You still don't get it?

First, people can say anything they want, without it having to be true.

Second, just because someone is willing to overpay, doesn't make it a bargain.

I see you missed my earlier example, so here's a very simple one:

Someone wants to sell a 2010 Toyota Corolla, and names an asking price of $50,000. One person agrees to that price, while another says he knows someone who will offer $60,000 but the car has to be delivered to Winnipeg. The seller decides to take to lower offer.

Just because one person paid $50,000 and another might have offered $60,000, do you think the car is worth $50,000? And do we know that the $60,000 offer was real?

You still don't get it?

First, people can say anything they want, without it having to be true.

Second, just because someone is willing to overpay, doesn't make it a bargain.

I see you missed my earlier example, so here's a very simple one:

Someone wants to sell a 2010 Toyota Corolla, and names an asking price of $50,000. One person agrees to that price, while another says he knows someone who will offer $60,000 but the car has to be delivered to Winnipeg. The seller decides to take to lower offer.

Just because one person paid $50,000 and another might have offered $60,000, do you think the car is worth $50,000? And do we know that the $60,000 offer was real?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad