Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1; lose series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I sometimes think Dubas was picked for GM because he looks good on camera and talks a good game. I think it's all demographics trying to get the younger crowd on board. It's has nothing to do with results it's about ratings and $$$ coming in. It's a bit like our prime minister
Do you think the limited airtime Dubas gets produces more fans and generates more interest than a winning team?

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Do you think the limited airtime Dubas gets produces more fans and generates more interest than a winning team?
It's all about the next generation buying merchandise etc. Lou wouldn't relate to them. If winning was the priority Lou would still be here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's all about the next generation buying merchandise etc. Lou wouldn't relate to them. If winning was the priority Lou would still be here.
I've never seen a Dubas jersey in all my life, but I do know they hike ticket prices substantially each round and the humiliation this fanbase is going through doesn't generally "attract" anyone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
hiring women or the GM showing up to a pride parade and having a winning organization are mutually exclusive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uncleben

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nothing wrong with that but what l am saying is he is a poster boy to bring in $$$ for the Leafs that is his priority not winning. Lou had a track record of winning and then we let him go and he still is winning with less resources. I think the hiring of Dubas came from above Shanahan. As a fan l want to win period. I could care less about being political correct.

Fairly sure MLSE can get a lot more money by winning a Cup and if they wanted to do some PC stuff, they wouldn't hire another white guy.

They hired Dubas because he is worthy of being hired. Not because he is young or looks a certain way or to attract fans. That is just ageism.

Lou also has had zero track record of winning in the Cap Era and made a ton of crippling mistakes within it, which is all that matters. He can't do most of what he did before the Cap Era anymore.

Maybe Dubas is not the guy to win a Cup, but Lou was worse based on his three year term with the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I sometimes think Dubas was picked for GM because he looks good on camera and talks a good game. I think it's all demographics trying to get the younger crowd on board. It's has nothing to do with results it's about ratings and $$$ coming in. It's a bit like our prime minister
Well it’s working, he has plenty of disciples on this board drinking his brand of Kool-Aid......

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I got agree with you I think his silliness worked in the minors but no one was really paying attention you kind a job in the deep end this time Kyle I think people are not buying what you’re selling anymore

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
So, this is my first time back in here since before Game 7.
sigh.

It never should have gotten to game 7 if we had played every game like Game 2 . . . like we know they can. So it really is mind boggling that we couldn't go back to that "A" level of effort in the final three games of this series. (it's also mind boggling that we didn't come out with a better effort in Game 1).

Before the series, we thought the only way we lose this is if Campbell poops the bed and Andy has to go back in net.

Instead, Campbell played great I thought - on par with Price I thought 5 out of the 7 games. Finished with an extremely low GAA. Gave us a chance to win every game.

Obviously with Tavares out early it changed things a bit, but you would have figured Matthews, Marner, would be at the top of the stats sheet by the end of this series . . . instead it ended up
8 (5g, 3a, 7gp) Nylander
6 (1g, 5a, 7gp) Kerfoot
5 (3g, 2a, 7gp) Spezza
5 (1g, 4a, 7gp) Matthews
4 (0g, 4a, 7gp) Marner
4 (1g, 3a, 6gp) Galchenyuk

Our top two centres were Alex Kerfoot and an old (but amazing for his age) Jason Spezza.

Matthews should be ashamed of himself for the way he played, he played with zero heart, doesn't seem to understand how to play his best in the playoffs, and has zero maturity in terms of self knowledge of this. Marner I thought was ok in spots to be honest, and he at least played very solid defensively for the most part so there's always that.

And the coach needs to take heat for many of his decisions - but specifically, something that hasn't been talked about much but needs to - if he can't motivate his top 2 guys to play at the high level they are expected to and CAN do . . . then maybe he isn't the right coach. Yeah, maybe Matthews is a coach killer type player, maybe Marner is too . . . but if it isn't working, then something has to change to try and make it work. And part of the coach's job is to understand how to motivate players to do this or that and perform at their highest level. And it's not happening.

As an example off the top of my head for instance - there is NO WAY I am letting Matthews and Marner use some of the phrasing they have - it's just not acceptable. "We just didn't come ready to play at the start of the game" - Marner, after game 6 loss . . . like, WTF?!? How is that even remotely possible?!? Were there strippers and blow in the dressing room beforehand, like how can that be even said?!?
Matthews said similar things but I can't find it right now...his schtick is more just general nonchalance at everything, he constantly gives 'nothing' answers.

I never heard ONCE Auston Matthews say, "I wasn't good enough / I didn't score enough / etc etc" . . . zero self accountability, and again, those precedents are set by the coach. It's top down.

I really am at a loss for how mentally fragile our core is.
But coupled with that, how the coaching can feel like it is still okay for every player to turn away from trying to body check anyone or have physical contact with forecheckers at every cost - so much so that players took penalties multiple times for puck over the boards to avoid getting hit? Do they really not watch hockey in the playoffs, for how the successful teams play?!? Again, it boggles the mind.

I'm sick of this team effing things up so badly one way or another.
I deserve better for my loyalty.

Reactions: Indiana and myleafs

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Fairly sure MLSE can get a lot more money by winning a Cup and if they wanted to do some PC stuff, they wouldn't hire another white guy Lou is still playing and we are not

They hired Dubas because he is worthy of being hired. Not because he is young or looks a certain way or to attract fans. That is just ageism.

Lou also has had zero track record of winning in the Cap Era and made a ton of crippling mistakes within it, which is all that matters. He can't do most of what he did before the Cap Era anymore.

Maybe Dubas is not the guy to win a Cup, but Lou was worse based on his three year term with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad