Leafs Lose 2-1 - But The Future Is Bright

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Rielly and Nylander both missed two grade A scoring chances that could have given us the unwanted 2 points. The Leafs had some fantastic pressure in the final minute and looked poised to get one more great look until Jake Gardiner made a half spin slap pass to Nylander from the high slot that basically ruined it.
How great it is to see Rielly and Nylander in a same sentence.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Anyone else worried that with this talent infused we're going to catch some of the teams ahead of us and finish 5th last, and then end up getting like the 8th pick? All of Edm/Cgy/Buf/Wpg are within five points and we have games in hand on some of them.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
douche·bag
ˈdo͞oSHbaɡ/
noun
D bags; noun: douche·bag; plural noun: douche·bag
a small syringe for douching the vagina, especially as a contraceptive measure.
NORTH AMERICAN informal
an obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man.

Nah he's right. Comparing him to Datsyuk and McDavid after one game is just setting him up as a failure in the minds of fans even as he turns into a perfectly serviceable player.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Anyone else worried that with this talent infused we're going to catch some of the teams ahead of us and finish 5th last, and then end up getting like the 8th pick? All of Edm/Cgy/Buf/Wpg are within five points and we have games in hand on some of them.

No, you're overrating the immediate impact these rookies will have on the team.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

I really don't think this will happen... or at least, I don't want to think about it happening...

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Nah he's right. Comparing him to Datsyuk and McDavid after one game is just setting him up as a failure in the minds of fans even as he turns into a perfectly serviceable player.

The guy was just excited, he used top comparisons because he was pumped, no need to point out his post for what it was, so I was playing around, I don't think he seriously believes Kaps is as fast as Mc-D, and Nylander does have a lil Datz in him.

Anyways, we have a bright future in front of us regardless, can't wait to see Marner with the club next year either, and fingers crossed for Matthews or one of the two finns.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Doubt it.

We might not finish last but I don't see us getting out of a top three finish. These rookies (and there are so many of them!) will make mistakes. It is natural and it will pile up.

If they really do jump up that much, we'll be busy praising how advanced these rookies are in their development anyway.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I honestly thought we dominated a lot of the game even though we didn't win. Was extremely impressed by Kapanen and Nylander, but Kapanen really stood out for me. His skating is insane, we may have robbed the pens boys and girls.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The future:

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Johnson - Nylander - Kapanen
Timashov - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Gauthier - Soshnikov
-Hyman/Leipsic/Bracco

Rielly - Nielsen
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
-Harrington/Loov/Valiev/Percy

The bolded are definitely not bottom 6 players

The Red are also expected to grow into top 6 roles

But extremely excited for the future, i don't think i've ever been happier after a loss

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Wow really? If they can pull this team out of the bottom 5 that would be amazing. It means we actually have something good building.

You'd rather they be worse than the best case scenario? 8th pick will fit nicely in when they're ready.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The bolded are definitely not bottom 6 players

The Red are also expected to grow into top 6 roles

But extremely excited for the future, i don't think i've ever been happier after a loss

Komarov has no place in the top 6 of a good team and is better suited to be a bottom 6 player regardless.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
How were Laich and Carrick?

Laich wasn't good overall. Carrick was shaky for 1st period but settled in pretty good for the rest of the game. For his size, he sure isn't soft. Was engaged physically. The potential is definitely there, just needs more structure to his defense.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Komarov has no place in the top 6 of a good team and is better suited to be a bottom 6 player regardless.

I could definitely see Leo Komarov slotting in on any of the top 9 slots on a contender with substantial PK time and limited PP minutes.

Komarov is one of the best forecheckers in the league, and is a pain to play against in more ways than one.

He's currently on a 25G-50pt pace and when you couple that with his two-way game and physicality - I could definitely envision Komarov as the third wheel, in a Mike Knuble-esque role, on any scoring line in the league.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I liked Carrick. And I think that he would do much better if he was paired with Hunwick, and Marincin with Rielly. When Hunwick was not playing, Marincin played with Rielly and they did good together. And Hunwick would be much more calming presence for Carrick. But he showed progress through the game, so I am really looking forward to next games.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I only saw the first period last night but watched the highlights this morning. I think our young guys looked great. A lot of positive energy that also seemed to have effected Kadri, who looked a bit more lively but also focused then usual. I wonder if it is not until now that he realised what the Leafs actually meant when they said they wanted him to be a young leader, a pro to look up to for the young ones. Both Nylander and Kapanen are the same age as him when he made his debut. Not really sure he understood he is no longer the youngest and least experienced kid on the team, a role he played ever since his own debut. I liked what I saw from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad