GDT: Leafs @ Lightning 7 PM - the Grand Finale, 70 or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Rest Rielly and Lilly they looked tired. Get Timmins and Gio back in.

EDIT: The tribe has spoken. See lineup below

Jones is in.

(Alt plan: Pull the goalie all game on OZ faceoffs.)
“The coach (Cooper) also joked that one way to ensure the two milestones happen would be for him and Leafs bench boss Sheldon Keefe to pull their respective goaltenders “in the first five minutes.”

However, to the Maple Leafs’ and Matthews’ benefit, it sounds like the Lightning may be icing a slightly weaker lineup for the game.

“We have barely enough guys to dress 20,” Cooper told reporters when asked if he would be resting anyone. “If it doesn’t go the right way in the next few hours, we’re playing short. We’re resting out of necessity because we have to heal some wounds. … Hopefully, we get some of these guys healthy here for the weekend.”
IMG_3311.jpegIMG_3313.jpegIMG_3314.jpeg

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For hockey histories sake, It would be great to see Matthews 70th and Kuch's 100 assist in the final game.

Something more likely than not we will never see again
Did you forget Willie's charge to 100 points. Kutch has more assists than Willie has points and Matty has 29 more goals than Willie. Puts into perspective how good Matty and Kutch have been.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Did you forget Willie's charge to 100 points. Kutch has more assists than Willie has points and Matty has 29 more goals than Willie. Puts into perspective how good Matty and Kutch have been.
I didn't.

While Willy's quest for 100 points is still a great feat, the other two are chasing hockey history.

All 3 occuring would be an amazing night though.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Nylander is 3 points back of 100 still no guarantees. He's been cold. Matthews is 3 points back of Pastrnak for 5th overall in scoring. A top 5 finish would sound better to Hart voters than 6th.

Hoping for big games from both of them but all that matters is they show up against the Bruins.

These last 3 games have been a let down. Boo urns

Reactions: torontoblood

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Woll and Samsonov are absolutely putrid right now. We’re in huge trouble

Goaltending is the only thing that matters

Reactions: rumman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gio Brodie Timmins should play. Rest a few guys.

I'd definitely give Rielly the night off regardless. Lyubushkin could use the reset as well, he's been completely awful lately... can barely lift a puck and his physicality has been non-existant, I wonder if his shoulder is bothering him? He's at the point where I don't even think he's playable game 1.

Rest Rielly and Lilly they looked tired. Get Timmins and Gio back in.

Sammy’s time to shine.

(Alt plan: Pull the goalie all game on OZ faceoffs.)

Liljegren needs to play. He's missed a lot of time in the last month. Rielly definitely needs to sit out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I assume Samsonov starts this game?

I hope so. He needs to get back into it and shrug off his terrible last couple starts. Knowing the Leafs and if I'm a betting man, Jones will probably play.

I'm not sure it's wise to keep your projected starter for Game 1 out of game action for a full week, but I'm no expert. This is why I don't understand why Woll didn't start against the Red Wings and Sammy could have had the game yesterday.

Reactions: Whacky5

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Woll and Samsonov are absolutely putrid right now. We’re in huge trouble

Goaltending is the only thing that matters
It's not the only thing,but you're right it is important. Hopefully one of them or even both will turn it around.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The more I watch him the more I become convinced that his elevator doesn't go to the top floor.
Not sure if you're allowed to say 'dumb' anymore but he appears to be.
He looks fantastic when he can skate and the forecheck is slack. But, again last night, when pressure comes he folds and just makes braindead decisions, he doesn't process the situation at all. Sorry to say, but he doesn't look like he can handle playoff hockey, but perhaps he finds it. Zero poise.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Really hope Rielly sits this one out and rests, need him at his best.

Also need Sammy to play this game and get his confidence back. I don't trust him in the playoffs unless he does well today.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Pretty sure Willie would easily get his 100 points playing in the women's hockey league and he wouldn't even have to change his physicality. He could work the perimeter play better than anyone in that league has done before and he might even achieve a +/- better than his +3 2023-24 NHL numbers over the course of the season. Can't stand players like that who shy away from contact. Send him a message and let him watch Game 82 from the stands. Same with the slow and soft John Tavares and Meek Marner. Let them all watch and learn! In the playoffs the players who have the most ice time need to play like grown men for team success.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Auston getting 70 would be the highlight moment of the cap era Leafs but talking heads debate sitting him for a cup we're likely not going to win.

Tampa should be playing soft tonight, this is a great time for a great moment in Leafs history.

Legit shouldn't even be part of the discourse to sit him. I hope upper management over rules Keefe if he tries to sit him and to remind that he's on a short lease until he wins something.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Auston getting 70 would be the highlight moment of the cap era Leafs but talking heads debate sitting him for a cup we're likely not going to win.

Tampa should be playing soft tonight, this is a great time for a great moment in Leafs history.

Legit shouldn't even be part of the discourse to sit him. I hope upper management over rules Keefe if he tries to sit him and to remind that he's on a short lease until he wins something.
I think there is no chance that Matthews doesn't play in this game.

Reactions: bax

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
He looks fantastic when he can skate and the forecheck is slack. But, again last night, when pressure comes he folds and just makes braindead decisions, he doesn't process the situation at all. Sorry to say, but he doesn't look like he can handle playoff hockey, but perhaps he finds it. Zero poise.
That's the difference between good and great. Great defencemen don't always make flashy plays, they just don't turn the puck over or make nonsensical plays... a play that leads to nothing either way is often a positive play in the big picture.

Guys who poop down their leg when they have to make a play under constant pressure are probably more common than not, you just need enough guys who can make those plays to keep things even - i.e. not give momentum to the opponent.

I think Timmy can do it, but cannot argue that he is inconsistent right now. He is too often injured and seemingly kills any positive momentum he builds.

Reactions: DarkKnight

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think there is no chance that Matthews doesn't play in this game.
Unless we go 11-7, I am not aware of any healthy forwards we could sub in.

We've come this far, may as well let him have one final go at it. At this point I don't care of he gets it... never really did, it is cool, but if the team goes out in the first round again, it's kinda meaningless to the franchise. It's probably bigger at the league level... maybe I am just a jaded Leafs fan... lol

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Pretty sure Willie would easily get his 100 points playing in the women's hockey league and he wouldn't even have to change his physicality. He could work the perimeter play better than anyone in that league has done before and he might even achieve a +/- better than his +3 2023-24 NHL numbers over the course of the season. Can't stand players like that who shy away from contact. Send him a message and let him watch Game 82 from the stands. Same with the slow and soft John Tavares and Meek Marner. Let them all watch and learn! In the playoffs the players who have the most ice time need to play like grown men for team success.
Ok, legit funny post appreciate that but Nylander is one of the few Leafs that has the sack to cut straight to the net. He's not a perimeter players like Marner.

Tavares is slow but his grind works best in the playoffs when the game slows down. Big body and strong on the puck.

Like the style your post, the substance is weak though.

Reactions: torontoblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad