Post-Game Talk: Leafs lay a next-gen egg in a lackluster loss 4-2 to the Senators.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It wouldn’t have been the 3rd goal with better effort throughout.
True. If Rielly had played the 2-on-1 the way we're taught in Bantam, and Mitch had made an effort to backcheck, that would have been their first goal.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There’s a bias and it’s ignorance at its finest the blame Willy for everything is starting to get humourous
I'm a little surprised he wasn't blamed for the third goal.:sarcasm:

A couple of games back one poster was blaming him for a goal against, when he wasn't even on the ice!

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Thats fair. Keefe certainly has flaws and maybe a change is needed, but I don't know if a different coach solves the issues on this team.
For one, stop forcing 34 and 16 together, especially when they aint vibing . This will not happen with Keefe at the helm.

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
is it trolling to want the leafs to lose so the coach gets fired and the cupcake core gets detonated and we get a good pick?
Problem is that the only way to detonate the core, is to pressure some people to waive their NMC's but that would require the management group to not be cupcakes. Way I see it, is that the entire organization from top to bottom is one big cupcake.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Just a thought, and the proof of this theory is not 100% out there, but there is some.....Do the leafs not match up well, in general, vs teams that are very young with a lot of 'high end' draft picks who may or may not have turned into good hockey players yet? Meaning...

Buffalo and Ottawa are NOT good teams this year, but they are 2 of the youngest teams in the league with a lot of high draft picks, and Toronto sure had problems against them, both of those teams often making the Leafs look like the far inferior team.

Columbus is the 2nd youngest team in the league, Leafs had one convincing win, but also a loss versus them, one of the worst teams in the league.

Chicago. Again, a very bad team but with some very young (and with Bedard high end talent) that makes the Leafs look bad, not the other way around.

Montreal is not all that special either, but they are the 3rd youngest team in the league with some raw talent. Both games against Montreal have been very close.

The best games the Leafs have had all year have been versus Minnesota, Dallas, Washington, The Rangers (at least one time), all older and very veteran teams. Even the impressive win against Nashville was against a team in the middle of the pack in terms of age/experience. Even Boston, a pretty veteran team the Leafs take to OT. But the Sabres hang 15 on them in 2 games and Ottawa puts 13 on them in 3 games.

Usually (not all the time, but usually) when they play against an older, 'less athletic/slower' team the Leafs fair well. Put them up against some very young, high end/fast skating talent (even when those teams aren't doing that well) and the leafs have problems handling those teams.

My point is that it may not be the Leafs playing up to (or down to) the competition. It might simply be the teams that they can outskate and outlast physically they do well against, but a team that can go stride for stride with them, maybe even outskate them and match them in skill (even if it is raw and not fully developed), that is where they have issues.

Leafs record vs the 10 youngest teams in the league so far: 3-7 (and the 6 worst teams in the league are in this group) and the leafs have lost by 3 or more goals 5 times this year, 3 of those 5 times vs this group. They have allowed 54 total goals in those games. (5.4 per game)

Leafs record vs the 10 oldest teams in the league so far: 8-3 Allowing 27 total goals in those games (2.45 per game)

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Problem is that the only way to detonate the core, is to pressure some people to waive their NMC's but that would require the management group to not be cupcakes. Way I see it, is that the entire organization from top to bottom is one big cupcake.
Yup, any thoughts from those in here of some major shakeup involving a core piece or 2 along with the coach is living in fantasyland. It aint hapenin. What you see is what you are going to get (probably til they all retire).....and you'll like it.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Yup, any thoughts from those in here of some major shakeup involving a core piece or 2 along with the coach is living in fantasyland. It aint hapenin. What you see is what you are going to get (probably til they all retire).....and you'll like it.
it's a fantasy to think that management might move a core piece and fire the coach?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'm a little surprised he wasn't blamed for the third goal.:sarcasm:

A couple of games back one poster was blaming him for a goal against, when he wasn't even on the ice!
Oh I remember…advocating for why and how marners soo much better than Willy that he didn’t even realize it was marner doggin it on the bacc checc

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think Willy should get some reps at center I like him in the middle he’s a right shot and it forces him to support the play and not be the leak out target and he still has the speed and skill to knife through the d then run 3 lines and a defensive line that forces keefe to keep the minutes down and allows us to control the game for more of the game no matter which of those 3 lines are on the ice. Something like marner with domi and knies Tavares with Robertson and jarnkrok and Matthews with nylander and bertuzzi

Basically what I’m saying is we should be experimenting

myleafs

May 25, 2021
it's a fantasy to think that management might move a core piece and fire the coach?
Right now it sure feels like that to me. I want it to happen as many do but from listening to management and watching closely, I am honestly coming around to the idea that what we have core wise is what we will have for a while. I see no major shakeup ie core for the foreseeable future. Status quo...make the playoffs and hope we strike lightening. Do you get any vibes in any way that our management team would move one of the core? I think with Keefes record there is zero interest in replacing him regardless of how much chatter to that effect goes on here.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Maybe we can get Lafferty for 4W... likely only cost a 2nd or 3rd
Mcmann is not the problem I actually like him on that line he’s engvallish it’s gregor that doesn’t fit the fourth line you can paccage Robertson for the d man and move gregor to the third line or trade him which I would do to recoup assets

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Doubtful.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I know I am upset and all but I really think Sens take the Leafs to seven games in a series.
Based on what I've seen in the 3 regular season games against the Sens, our Leafs go out in 4 straight.

I base this on the fact that our Leafs can't handle the high energy young Sens players now. Then, add in the disappearing act by our core 4, especially Matthews and Marner in the playoffs, and that's all she wrote.

JMHO.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Leafs will lose the division once again because they can't be arsed to show up against the worst teams in the league.

Yep that is 12 points in the standings that they pissed away. that would put them 1st overall in the league. Except for two games this year, I never really got the sense the team knew WTF they were doing. the game plan is to hope and pray your stars will score, play as much in the other end, F your own end and hope your goalie does not stink. I truly get zero sense the team actually has any structure, in any sense of the word structure. For the most part they are all playing a skills competition vs playing a structured purposeful team game. If the stars need to have freedom to run free, wonderful, from the red line in to your opposing goalie, have at it, run naked for all I care. Once that puck crosses the red line and is headed back towards your net, they need to turn into the Borg, a collective working towards the same goal.

Fire the coach is always a possibility and moving a core piece seems highly unlikely.

I've been on the new coach train for 3 seasons, for what ever reason they wont "can" the dude that gets the same disappointing results every year. Coach Q pls.

Reactions: nuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad