Friedman: Leafs interested in Risto?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

What would it take?

Does PHI need prospect forwards, draft picks, or anything else?

giphy.gif

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
what the f is going on here? please please watch some flyers games before you start thinking fisto is going to cure anything, for any team. he got a little better last year after they pretty much took all responsibility away from him. he is not as bad as some flyers fans on here think but he is in no way, shape, or form a solution to anyone's problems, 1st,2nd, or 3rd pairing.

I don't know who fisto is but it sounds like something That would be very uncomfortable.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Played well last night. 19 mins.
-1 but basically a pk goal 3 sec after penalty expired and York is the one to blame on that goal.

Risto was solid again in limited games 6gp.

maybe merge threads?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
You really need to change your username.
I’m a leafs fan btw I’m assuming you’re one of the Toronto fans who think Knies is absolutely untouchable but I’d move him personally for Hart. He’d become the Flyers 2nd best prospect behind Michkov. You can debate Cutter aswell

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
That seems pretty wild. Risto has a lot of term left, why jump in with both feet to commit like that?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Kevin Hayes after finishing 2nd on the team in scoring was traded at 50% retention for a 6th round pick.

If the Leafs acquired Risto, I would imagine it would be a similar looking deal. Leafs rolling the dice on a longterm contract with a half-decent caphit for a questionable player. Philly simply looking to unload half or more of the caphit for a nominal return.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Well, ya. Good teams don’t have a bunch of extra cap space.

The point of it is to use it. If you have some left over improve the team, dumbass (this isn’t directed at you, it’s directed at an imaginary GM who won’t improve his team because he likes spending less against the cap than his competitors)

Now, if certain players actually improve a team is another question all together
Well I have to agree and disagree. If they are spending extra money to noticeably improve the team then that's great, Treliving has a history of spending every dime as soon as he gets it even if it's on mediocre players. There is a real benefit to not being capped out, mainly being able to ice a full roster, take advantage of players becoming available mid season as cap casualties (eg Tolvanen) and accruing space for deadline acquisitions. So the point isn't to use it, it's to use it wisely.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Kevin Hayes after finishing 2nd on the team in scoring was traded at 50% retention for a 6th round pick.

If the Leafs acquired Risto, I would imagine it would be a similar looking deal. Leafs rolling the dice on a longterm contract with a half-decent caphit for a questionable player. Philly simply looking to unload half or more of the caphit for a nominal return.

Nah.

For one, Hayes had a HUGE cap hit relative to his contributions—plus a NTC. For another, he's a soft one-way middle 6 C in a league where those are a dime-a-dozen. For yet another, it was clear that he and the coach/franchise in Philly were just not going to make it work. The Flyers were trying to trade a severely overpaid mid-value asset and doing so from a really weak and limited negotiating position.

Risto, as shitty as he typically is, doesn't have most of those problems. Overpaid, but not over the moon for a mediocre RHD—and with retention, could actually be made into a relative bargain contract. Has been playing effective, if one-dimensional hockey. Plays a position of need/scarcity for most teams. And they have no gun to their head to move him immediately, nor do they have any trade limitations in the contract.

If the Flyers trade Ristolainen, it will be for positive value. Somehow, some way.

Reactions: captainpaxil

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
No idea, but it's not unusual. He's liked the player for a while.

There would have been considerably more interest in Risto back then. A lot of people considered the situation in Buffalo to be a major cause of his struggles. It's been all downhill since and that misconception looks to be cleared up now.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Well I have to agree and disagree. If they are spending extra money to noticeably improve the team then that's great, Treliving has a history of spending every dime as soon as he gets it even if it's on mediocre players. There is a real benefit to not being capped out, mainly being able to ice a full roster, take advantage of players becoming available mid season as cap casualties (eg Tolvanen) and accruing space for deadline acquisitions. So the point isn't to use it, it's to use it wisely.

I agree with your point, you need to stay flexible.

You can do that when spending to the cap, the leafs have been doing it for years with pridham working his cap strengths for the team

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Oh yeah. Is pacing for 3 goals good?

Goal scoring is not Domi's greatest strength, but he is pacing for around the same amount of points as Huberdeau.

I think he is outpacing all but 5 Calgary forwards... not bad for a 3C making 3 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad