Confirmed with Link: Leafs in on college FA Joseph Duszak RHD (Confirmed -- Signed)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I hope we get him but if I were him, I'd probably sign somewhere where I'm less likely to get buried behind Ozhiganov/Zaitsev/Marincin and only get like one game every two months and then get scratched.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Mercyhurst Defenseman Joseph Duszak Signs With Maple Leafs

Sounds like he signed if you believe this source.

Mercyhurst junior defenseman Joseph Duszak signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday, sources tell College Hockey News. The 21-year-old New York native will forgo his final season of NCAA eligibility with the Lakers.

Duszak had interest from several NHL clubs, including the Boston Bruins; GM Don Sweeney visited Mercyhurst a few weeks ago to check out the prospect for himself.

Duszak is currently the top-scoring defenseman in all of college hockey, totaling 47 points in 37 games (16 goals, 31 assists).
Duszak's college season ended over the weekend when the Lakers were swept by Army in the first round of the Atlantic Hockey playoffs.

Standing 5-foot-10, Duszak appeared in 101 games over his three seasons and finished with 99 points, including 30 goals and 69 assists. His Duszak's points this season is third-most in the NCAA among all positions.

The Maple Leafs are expected to announce the signing on Tuesday afternoon.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
AHA division NHLers are rare but there's 1 current NHLer from the AHA division: Chris Tanev.

Other recent NHLers are Cory Conacher, Patrick Rissmiller and Dan Hinote (Army through the Oshawa Generals). Only very brief NHL careers of the other half dozen excepting Dave Forbes of the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals of the 1970's.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
AHA division NHLers are rare but there's 1 current NHLer from the AHA division: Chris Tanev.

Other recent NHLers are Cory Conacher, Patrick Rissmiller and Dan Hinote (Army through the Oshawa Generals). Only very brief NHL careers of the other half dozen excepting Dave Forbes of the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals of the 1970's.

Tanev would be the only one worth an ELC these days, and to be fair, his team made the Frozen Four that year. I guess if you make the Frozen Four, you will play against some pretty good teams.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Being undersized relative to the rest of the league is what it is...a permanent disadvantage.

If it weren't , the average height and weight of a pro hockey player would be 5'10 and 185lbs.

But it isn't...and it isn't for a reason, no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise.
Sure it could be a disadvantage, but there are plenty of small guys that can outweigh the odds and be superstar players. Looking at this guy and immediately saying he's undersized isn't telling us much about his ability, potential, ceiling, etc.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Also hearing that TOR is one of the final few teams being considered by Michigan State UFA F Taro Hirose.

better conference, but a year older than duszak, and not quite as impressive production relative to position.
A team in our position take chances where they come. Good thing with these kind of signings is that you can sign them late and see what they are. If they're good, you have a prospect close to being useful. If they are not, they are old enough that you can cut ties pretty quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad