News Article: Leafs in COVID Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Having a mild case doesn’t automatically mean anyone you pass it on to will have a mild case.

I’m sorry you have to face minor inconveniences in order to save people’s lives.

People can save their own life by taking the freaking vaccine which is available for more than a year now. They had their time, if they still choose not to take it, so be it. But let the people live their normal life. 99% of people who got vaccinated at least two times never end up in hospitals. I dont care about the rest and I know it sounds bad, but I dont f***ing care anymore, enough is enough.

Players were promised that if they got vacced, the league will operate just like before, yet everyone is panicking again and the league might shut down for a month or who knows. This is a joke and if we really follow this approach, this will never, ever end, because the virus is here to stay. We have to learn to live with it.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
People can save their own life by taking the freaking vaccine which is available for more than a year now. They had their time, if they still choose not to take it, so be it. But let the people live their normal life. 99% of people who got vaccinated at least two times never end up in hospitals. I dont care about the rest and I know it sounds bad, but I dont f***ing care anymore, enough is enough.

Players were promised that if they got vacced, the league will operate just like before, yet everyone is panicking again and the league might shut down for a month or who knows. This is a joke and if we really follow this approach, this will never, ever end, because the virus is here to stay. We have to learn to live with it.

My hope is that Omicron's combination of much greater transmissabilty and apparently milder symptoms means that more people will become infected and therefore develop immunity without the catastrophic outcome of overwhelming our health care system. It seems like this really could be the beginning of the end.

But until we have a better idea of the severity of the variant and how it will play out, I think it makes sense to proceed with caution.

The good news is that the Christmas and Olympic breaks give the league some wiggle room to reschedule missed games if the schedule gets messed up over the next month or so.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
If you want people to tune you out, keep saying stuff like this. My life hasn't been minorly inconvenienced, it's been paradigmly changed. Maybe this has been fun for you, dunno. I'm doing everything I can to save lives and get things back to normal by the way. You making light of my world being turned upside down as a "minor inconvenience" isn't very motivating to keep doing that.
The other issue with the "saving lives" line statements is that one has to maintain that philosophy for the rest of their lives to not come across as a hypocrite. In normal years, the eldery are very suscetible to death by flu (or what it leads to). Look at the 2018 data, for example. How many of us still went out and did things at the beginning or late stages of the flu in the past? Like go to work or to the store. No mask, no nothing. If this was due to ignorance, well, then from now on, we must self-isolate for however long is needed to not pose any risk to anyone. Then we can virtue signal all we want.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The other issue with the "saving lives" line statements is that one has to maintain that philosophy for the rest of their lives to not come across as a hypocrite. In normal years, the eldery are very suscetible to death by flu (or what it leads to). Look at the 2018 data, for example. How many of us still went out and did things at the beginning or late stages of the flu in the past? Like go to work or to the store. No mask, no nothing. If this was due to ignorance, well, then from now on, we must self-isolate for however long is needed to not pose any risk to anyone. Then we can virtue signal all we want.

Oh I just posted something similar in the Covid forums. The flu disappeared completely last year. Almost 8,000 Canadians die every year from the flu or flu related pneumonia. Will people now be shaming one another over this once we get through the pandemic or go back to not caring like before revealing their hypocrisy and that was all just to show everyone how virtuous they are? Same for the argument about how there's no amount of money we shouldn't spend to save lives over covid. Will they take the same position for some guy in a few years that can't get out-of-country life saving treatment because it's too expensive?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not sure if I'm just pointing out the obvious here or if someone said it already, but I assume the cross game postponement means the Leafs are done until January 1 when they play a Canadian team again. Sucks but for the best IMO.

Reactions: definedMF

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Not sure if I'm just pointing out the obvious here or if someone said it already, but I assume the cross game postponement means the Leafs are done until January 1 when they play a Canadian team again. Sucks but for the best IMO.
I'm okay with that... I hope the whole league shuts down and cleans up to start around that time.

The leafs don't do well sitting... I learned that about this group for a few years now.. every time we were rested we started off slow and sluggish. I know this year they're ramping up intensity in practise and that helps but I don't like these guys playing cold especially in the Atlantic Division.

Are they still practicing normally or have they slowed down?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm okay with that... I hope the whole league shuts down and cleans up to start around that time.

The leafs don't do well sitting... I learned that about this group for a few years now.. every time we were rested we started off slow and sluggish. I know this year they're ramping up intensity in practise and that helps but I don't like these guys playing cold especially in the Atlantic Division.

Are they still practicing normally or have they slowed down?

Nope, they shut down practices for the holidays as well. Read that somewhere yesterday. Other teams *e.g., the Habs) have decided to keep practicing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That was my first thought as well but I think I read somewhere that the current plan is that they can play again after Christmas. Here's hoping ...

Edit - nhl.com says Xmas break is Dec 24-26 so I assume the Leafs are good to play on the 27th as it stands now. Of course that could change again since by that time, I doubt the situation will be any less "fluid".

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nope, they shut down practices for the holidays as well. Read that somewhere yesterday. Other teams *e.g., the Habs) have decided to keep practicing.
Any idea when 'the holidays' runs to? Columbus and Pens game scrapped as well?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The 26th. Not sure I see us crossing the border for the 27th with no practice in over a week and God only knows who available but we'll see.
That's my thinking as well, fire it back up New Years Day.
My girls were pissed that we weren't going down to Columbus for the game, looks like a good call in hindsight.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
NHL cancels cross-border games due to COVID-19 concerns through Dec. 23.

As of this minute, NHL.com does not show cross-border games PPD starting on Dec. 27th. Unless they can't curtail the spread see you in Columbus.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Pfizer trials in the 5-11 year old age group began in March 2021 and the vaccine was authorized for use last month in the general public.
But on top of the trials, studies, and the millions of children who have received this vaccine without issue, we have a lot of knowledge and understanding of this vaccine, and we have decades of real world results of vaccines in human and children populations. We're not just walking around blind.
As a parent with an 8 year old and a 10 year old, I am struggling with the decision because of the risk vs benefit analysis.
But that's just the point. The risk-benefit analysis favours getting the vaccine. For any tiny, miniscule chance that there is some mysterious, unknown long-term effect of the vaccine, which is just a smaller dose of the same vaccine that hundreds of millions have gotten over the past year and a half, it is way, way more likely that there are significantly more damaging long-term effects from an unvaccinated individual getting Covid or these variants.

Inaction is an action, that puts you, your children, and your community at greater risk.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The 26th. Not sure I see us crossing the border for the 27th with no practice in over a week and God only knows who available but we'll see.

It does seem iffy, doesn't it. I'm still hoping though, I'm off next week and the week would be oh so much more enjoyable with 3 games to watch, no matter who we are able dress for them. Mind you rising up in the standings by not playing isn't so bad either, tied for 3rd overall as of today FWIW (which isn't much TBH).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
At least 2 more Leafs, maybe 3, now have COVID .. like I said before this will hit at least 50% of team likely higher .. good games were cancelled otherwise entire team would have got infected and also Seattle and Vancouver .. really sucks for guys like Wayner who have it in their chest .. for those of you who keep saying Omicron does not get in your chest/lungs I think you will see today that is not true .. one of my co workers has Omicron from going to Toronto XMAS festival, she thinks, and it is deep in her lungs to point she can hardly talk .. I got my booster so I feel better about this now .. except Masai have not heard of anyone getting it with a booster shot .. lets hope da booster truly works as we are dishing out a ton of $$$ and resources now as everyone trying to get one

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

The sad thing is that in a month there will be another player that catches it and passes it on. And around and around we go until late spring when cases decline. Next winter it will start all over again. Eventually people have to realize that we can't keep doing this

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
A lot of kids are babysat by grandparents.

I agree and yet where's the corresponding huge numbers of grandparents getting infected by their grandchildren and either needing hospital care or have died from getting infected by their grand kids? The number of covid deaths in the country have dropped like a rock and have remained low ever since despite kids not being vaccinated until recently. I'm sure that if significant numbers of seniors were getting sick and/or dying from getting infected by kids even after they were vaccinated we've would've heard about it from the media and experts LONG AGO.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes, I hope so...

I came in here looking for a list of which Leafs are in protocol but after scrolling through 3 pages, I gave up.
Yeah once the squirrels let loose, it's over.

Think it's
Tavares
Kerfoot
Campbell
Keefe
Simmonds
Brodie
Spezza

Reactions: Cams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad