Speculation: LEAFS ideas

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Because you guys love offence and hate defense! Kap is being wasted away on the 3rd line and you get a guy who can eat top 4 minutes while on an amazing salary for another year after this.

Nothing about Larsson says top 4 really. He plays with the two most offensively gifted players and is a -36 the past two years. He has 4 points in 27 games. Keep your player, if we are gonna trade Kap which I think would be a mistake it will be for somebody better than your mess of a D man, Ceci has better analytics and almost twice as many points. Nobody seems to think he is a top 4 D man who is in demand. As usual Oiler fan you need to take off those homer goggles.

Adam Larsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Nothing about Larsson says top 4 really. He plays with the two most offensively gifted players and is a -36 the past two years. He has 4 points in 27 games. Keep your player, if we are gonna trade Kap which I think would be a mistake it will be for somebody better than your mess of a D man, Ceci has better analytics and almost twice as many points. Nobody seems to think he is a top 4 D man who is in demand. As usual Oiler fan you need to take off those homer goggles.

Adam Larsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

This is rich. You call yourself a Leaf fan and actually just told me Ceci is better than Larsson because the analytics told you so. Lmao. To bring up homerism is also the definition of ignorance coming from you and your fanbase.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This is rich. You call yourself a Leaf fan and actually just told me Ceci is better than Larsson because the analytics told you so. Lmao. To bring up homerism is also the definition of ignorance coming from you and your fanbase.

No I realize Ceci is nothing more than a bottom pairing RHD, EDM fans have failed to do that with Larsson.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No I realize Ceci is nothing more than a bottom pairing RHD, EDM fans have failed to do that with Larsson.

No you don't get it, Larsson is a really good defensive D. He's only allowed 24 goals in 27 games. Meanwhile that overpaid garbage ECHL level Ceci has allowed 29 goals in 49 games while averaging more TOI! Who cares that he gets harder usage or scores more points, he allowed 2 more goals in 22 more games.

Reactions: Magic Man

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dubas cannot stand pat. He will need to infuse some sort of character and different type of player(s) into the forward group AND upgrade the Defence (just to make the playoffs)

Nylander has GREAT value now
Ceci and his 4.5 M cap hit MUST BE MOVED in order to create flexibility in adding/upgrading defence
Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot (while their contracts aren't bad) 1 or 2 of them can be used to once again create some cap flexibility in adding a dman and greasy vet.

Sure he can. Ride out the injuries and see what you've got in your youngsters. You don't make rash trades to bolster RIGHT NOW just because 1 or 2 players goes down to injury.

Reactions: Ciao

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have not followed Larsson much this season but I know he is the exact type of guy we need, I'm just not sure how well he's been playing. His price has gone down HF though, I can see that. Still I like him but we'd actually need almost 1 mil retained in a Kap trade.

Reactions: Marner4Life

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have not followed Larsson much this season but I know he is the exact type of guy we need, I'm just not sure how well he's been playing. His price has gone down HF though, I can see that. Still I like him but we'd actually need almost 1 mil retained in a Kap trade.

I think Larsson's one of those guys who is more effective than his analytics suggest he is.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Martinez @ 50% with an extra year, Forbert @ 50% for kapenan and a 2nd. Would also throw in Campbell for bracco. Solves all your problems and you keep your stars, plus Martinez for 2m cap hit next year is a super bargain

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If we are gonna trade Kap for any D man that may be available it’s Manson or Dumba IMO. He is actually a decent D man and he has term.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
he's one of the guys who is probably less effective, as his goal differential is even worse than his underlying numbers would indicate

Goal differential would probably be affected by what a player can do in the offensive zone and in transition, not necessarily an indicator of what he's like strictly in his own zone.

And that's the issue with analytics and a player like Larsson. He's not very good offensively, but is considered dependable defensively. Reminds me a lot of Hainsey when he was a Pen. His analytics looked bad, but he was good at one aspect of the game (ie. defensive play) but his analytics took a hit because of his ability with the puck.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Because you guys love offence and hate defense! Kap is being wasted away on the 3rd line and you get a guy who can eat top 4 minutes while on an amazing salary for another year after this.

No, I think it is because Kapanen is the much more valuable asset and we are giving up the more valuable player in the deal.

You can love Larsson, and keep him. Trading Kapanen for defence is not Plan A. We have a lot of other assets that will be looked at first, and Larsson isn't one of them.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
i hear kadri's available
How about Barrie @ 2.75 :sarcasm:

I think it makes more sense than Kadri for Barrie. I can find my posts from that trade.

I think it's pretty solid value, and it actually helps your team. But, I don't watch every game.

Not a fan of Larsson/Kapanen from Torontos perspective either. For one, I'm not a huge Larsson fan, totally underwhelmed whenever I've watched him play. Though I would be alright with a Johnsson/Larsson swap -- I think this would work out better for Edmonton anyway since they're probably looking for a player to play with one of McDavid, or Drai and I think AJ plays better with others than Kap does.

Kap is a player you can stick on your third line and creates offense for himself with his speed, but usually doesn't work well with others since he suffers from tunnel vision.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Larsson doesnt going anywhere, and not for soft scraps as Kapanen. for the 20th time, some other very few Oiler fans perhaps do it, but Lars is exactly what you need in playoffs, shut down oppositions top players.

Larsson in Leafs would do wonderwork and raise their defense and toughness so much , but luckily we Holland in charge, and he knows how important and rare Lars is if we reach a playoffs.

Recently other lines seems to click especially, Drai line with Nuge and Yama, dont need to do impulsive moves and i also like what i see in Nygaard,Haas, and archibald lately.

On the table if we need a 3 c, Jones, Lagesson, Benning,Khaira and Chiasson and some late picks, Pageau would be my choice.

I also would try to do a smith retained+ Puli for Georgiev, because in a playoff i wouldnt trust Smith even if he has played pretty good recenly, he have lost us lot of games earlier.

NYRORDIE

Jul 8, 2019
Dubas cannot stand pat. He will need to infuse some sort of character and different type of player(s) into the forward group AND upgrade the Defence (just to make the playoffs)

Ceci and his 4.5 M cap hit MUST BE MOVED in order to create flexibility in adding/upgrading defence
Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot (while their contracts aren't bad) 1 or 2 of them can be used to once again create some cap flexibility in adding a dman and greasy vet.

You’re absolutely right. The Leafs need to do something at the deadline or it will be another first round exit at the hands of Boston...

They need a defensemen yesterday. Keeping their current lineup and sitting still at the deadline will result in yet another Round 1 exit...probably at the hands of Boston

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They don't need to trade Nylander - I agree 100%. However, it can/should be considered. He is putting up great stats, but is he going to be a "go to war with" type of guy in the playoffs? Maybe/but likely not. Also, you have to give to get. A team like Anaheim needs scoring/youth/creativity up front. If you can parlay a package like Nylander, Dermott, Johnsson for Lindholm and Manson - you drastically upgrade your biggest hole(s) and save cap space/flexibility and allow for Engvall/Mikheyev/Moore to transition into expanded roles (which they are capable of).

lot of smaller skilled guys would never be considered "go to war guys"
should the hawks have traded Kane for a guy that can play rough?

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
lot of smaller skilled guys would never be considered "go to war guys"
should the hawks have traded Kane for a guy that can play rough?
no - but the hawks have/had guys when they were winning to play those roles - the leafs have no one

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He would being 2 nice pcs back. They need a 3/4 d man ...who can play a 2 way game and a backup goalie or a 1B goalie.

Holy christ imagine losing an improving 23yr old first line winger (who has been a 1st line caliber winger since he was 20) at the beginning of a good contract for a 3/4D and a back up goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad