Speculation: LEAFS ideas

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Dubas cannot stand pat. He will need to infuse some sort of character and different type of player(s) into the forward group AND upgrade the Defence (just to make the playoffs)

Nylander has GREAT value now
Ceci and his 4.5 M cap hit MUST BE MOVED in order to create flexibility in adding/upgrading defence
Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot (while their contracts aren't bad) 1 or 2 of them can be used to once again create some cap flexibility in adding a dman and greasy vet.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Let's see, you want to trade one of the best performing leafs with the best cap hit... hmm..

Johnsson & Kerfoot will be traded in the offseason and replaced by Mikheyev & Engvall.

That opens up 2.25M from Barrie, 4M from Muzzin, 4.5M from Ceci & probably 3-3.5M from the differences in salaries from Kerfoot, Johnsson to Mikheyev Engvall will likely fall around 2-3M.

They do not need to trade Nylander.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Let's see, you want to trade one of the best performing leafs with the best cap hit... hmm..

Johnsson & Kerfoot will be traded in the offseason and replaced by Mikheyev & Engvall.

That opens up 2.25M from Barrie, 4M from Muzzin, 4.5M from Ceci & probably 3-3.5M from the differences in salaries from Kerfoot, Johnsson to Mikheyev Engvall will likely fall around 2-3M.

They do not need to trade Nylander.
They dont need to but they should consider. He would being 2 nice pcs back. They need a 3/4 d man ...who can play a 2 way game and a backup goalie or a 1B goalie.

Pens have the backup goalie in Casey desmith. Shultz would be good RHD.

Maybe something like desmith and Shultz for kapanen. I get Shultz is a UFA though...and money deesnt work out but value is OK

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So the Leafs trade Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsson to fix their defense. Then their RW depth is Marner.......and......
So then the Leafs defense is strong and they'll have to trade a defensemen or two to get a couple of impact right wingers.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
They don't need to trade Nylander - I agree 100%. However, it can/should be considered. He is putting up great stats, but is he going to be a "go to war with" type of guy in the playoffs? Maybe/but likely not. Also, you have to give to get. A team like Anaheim needs scoring/youth/creativity up front. If you can parlay a package like Nylander, Dermott, Johnsson for Lindholm and Manson - you drastically upgrade your biggest hole(s) and save cap space/flexibility and allow for Engvall/Mikheyev/Moore to transition into expanded roles (which they are capable of).

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
They don't need to trade Nylander - I agree 100%. However, it can/should be considered. He is putting up great stats, but is he going to be a "go to war with" type of guy in the playoffs? Maybe/but likely not. Also, you have to give to get. A team like Anaheim needs scoring/youth/creativity up front. If you can parlay a package like Nylander, Dermott, Johnsson for Lindholm and Manson - you drastically upgrade your biggest hole(s) and save cap space/flexibility and allow for Engvall/Mikheyev/Moore to transition into expanded roles (which they are capable of).

Does Anaheim get a say in this?

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
if you look at it from an Anaheim perspective. Yes you lose 2 of your current top 3 defenders. However, Nylander becomes their best forward on a good contract. Dermott can grow into the LD void left by Lindholm and A. Johnsson is a guy that can play up and down the lineup (1st - 3rd line)

Leafs lose depth at Forward (but will need to fill that with 1-2m guys at deadline, e.g. clifford, etc)

Anaheim lose depth at Defence (but have some coming up and are "rebuilding')

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Leafs are in need of a shakeup especially with Rielly out. I'm thinking Kapanen or Nylander will have to be moved for defense.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
exactly Tony D - with Rielly/Muzzin out (and people underestimate the value of Mikheyev) they are likely to miss the playoffs (which would be unacceptable with their skill/payroll). So, why would you not "roll the dice" or "do whatever it takes" to give the team a boost, or shakeup, or whatever you want to call it.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Well, you're not going to trade Tavares (you can't NTC)
Matthews and Marner just signed extensions (even though any player should be fair game)

You cant trade Barrie for the simple fact 1/2 his salary is being paid

You aren't going to trade Spezza, Mikheyev, Moore or anyone that is around $1m for the simple fact they make 1m (unless they are part of a package)

Can you trade Andersen? What team is going to take on a 5-6m goalie? probably a team like Detroit/Ottawa/San Jose, etc (teams out of it) - that wont be able to give you an upgrade at that position anyways

Holl @ 2m (not going to trade), Hyman is too valuable and at a great rate

so ya - its pretty much 4-6 guys that can/will be traded (which is the case for most/all teams)

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Looking at the standings with both Florida teams surging, the Leafs might be far better off as sellers this year and loading up in the offseason to go all in. This year has turned into an injury plagued season with too many holes. I'd bet the farm on the Leafs winning the Cup in 2021 with Pietrangelo being on their team as well.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Might make sense to stand pat until closer to the deadline. Then we could look at the standings and what Keefe has done. I think Muzzin is back soon so we'll just be down our #1 D..

Long term missing the playoffs and selling UFA's (maybe sign one?) might not be the worst thing in the world. The assets from a Barrie, for example, would really help a retool. It would also allow us to bargain hunt for our needs rather than pay a premium.

We've traded a lot of future lately, would not hurt to replenish a bit.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Here's a LEAF IDEA - stop going after offensive pieces and shore up the D and backup G. If the team feels comfortable parting ways with Nylander, they definitely should to add a D piece with term.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

No, Anaheim is not giving you our entire 1st D pairing. Should the Ducks completely lose their minds and offer him at all, Lindholm alone would return a more than you're offering for both

Reactions: Troy

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So the Leafs trade Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsson to fix their defense. Then their RW depth is Marner.......and......
So then the Leafs defense is strong and they'll have to trade a defensemen or two to get a couple of impact right wingers.
I’d rather they are weak on wing and strong on defence.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here's a LEAF IDEA - stop going after offensive pieces and shore up the D and backup G. If the team feels comfortable parting ways with Nylander, they definitely should to add a D piece with term.
What offensive pieces have they been going after?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I’d rather they are weak on wing and strong on defence.

If Timashov, Bracco and god knows who are your RW's below Marner you're going to see a hell of a decline in scoring. Especially since they don't have a bunch of skilled LW's. I'd rather see who we can sign in the offseason and if there are still holes trade Johnsson and Bracco to get a second pairing defenseman.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
For the 100th time we wouldn’t.

Because you guys love offence and hate defense! Kap is being wasted away on the 3rd line and you get a guy who can eat top 4 minutes while on an amazing salary for another year after this.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
For the 100th time we wouldn’t.

I think it makes more sense than Kadri for Barrie. I can find my posts from that trade.

I think it's pretty solid value, and it actually helps your team. But, I don't watch every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad