Confirmed with Link: Leafs Hire Steve Briere as Goaltending Coach; Ari Vuori Dir. European Scouting

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Jamie McLellan was on TSN Lunch and said he is really well known in goalie coaching circles, really works on the mental side of goaltending, not just drills, and they call him Yoda. extremely progressive and positive choice, and not just the same old retreds. (disciple of the Wash. Capitals goaltending coach).

That's good news, sounds like he will bring a lot to the game and help all the Goal Tenders.....Yoda...LOL

Yoda

Yoda was a legendary Jedi Master and stronger than most in his connection with the Force. Small in size but wise and powerful, he trained Jedi for over 800 years, playing integral roles in the Clone ... Star Wars Databank

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He's close to retirement probably. Almost 68 years old. I don't think he wants to travel all over Europe to scout. He's likely more then fine staying in Sweden and with the odd Scandinavia trip.

I was curious about Bergmann's status as well, now with Vuori?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Jamie McLellan was on TSN Lunch and said he is really well known in goalie coaching circles, really works on the mental side of goaltending, not just drills, and they call him Yoda. extremely progressive and positive choice, and not just the same old retreds. (disciple of the Wash. Capitals goaltending coach).

I can see him having fun with Reimer.

"Fix your glove hand, you must. Better positioning, you need. Stop flopping around like a fish, you have to. Your game, a lot of it sucks. Stop letting in beachballs because you are too psyched out after letting in a softie, you gotta. Grow a pair, admit to your mistakes, and stop ****ing getting mentally shattered because you can't handle criticism, you must".

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

If that's Mitch Korn, their new coach as of last year, he spent 16 years in Nashville. He was Pekka Rinne's coach for his entire career until this past season. Seems like a solid guy for Briere to learn from.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
With Bergmann probably retiring in the next few years it'll be good to bolster our European scouting (not that it wouldn't be anyway). He comes from two very strong scouting organizations, so that bodes very well.

I don't know much about Briere, but by the sounds of things he's a progressive thinker, which lines up with what management seems to be favouring.

Excited to see how things pan out!

AustonWassup

Dec 28, 2007

I believe he was referring to Mitch Korn when he was talking about Yoda.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Interesting news about Vuori. He's been a big part of TPS Turku organisation for a while. Unfortunately, it's been during the years that TPS has regressed to a league laughing stock. Fans call him "Arse", and he was the frequently criticized for his moves, generally about his seeming inability to built a winning, balanced team, in particular one instance where he pissed off the entire fan base by his allegedly terrible treatment of an organisation icon (who signed elsewhere and went off to have a career year, winning the scoring title of FEL...), and generally being on the frontline when TPS makes one bad move after another. He was first demoted this season, and then "in good agreement" left the organisation. But, he did seem to have some eye to get some good foreign players, so I guess for the role he has in your organisation that's enough? I don't know about his track record as a NHL scout, though.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Interesting news about Vuori. He's been a big part of TPS Turku organisation for a while. Unfortunately, it's been during the years that TPS has regressed to a league laughing stock. Fans call him "Arse", and he was the frequently criticized for his moves, generally about his seeming inability to built a winning, balanced team, in particular one instance where he pissed off the entire fan base by his allegedly terrible treatment of an organisation icon (who signed elsewhere and went off to have a career year, winning the scoring title of FEL...), and generally being on the frontline when TPS makes one bad move after another. He was first demoted this season, and then "in good agreement" left the organisation. But, he did seem to have some eye to get some good foreign players, so I guess for the role he has in your organisation that's enough? I don't know about his track record as a NHL scout, though.

Hmmmm.....well that doesn't fit the narrative.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fantastic hire. The Red Wings have been great at using their European picks - let's hope the Leafs do.the same.

I don't know is he a great hire. Basicly, our main European Scouting Director HÃ¥kan Andersson has been behind every latest European steals in recent decades. Especally with swedish players.

Vuori has worked with Andersson for years in the scouting team, so I think he knows how to create a Red Wings-like system for the Maple Leafs. At least we did skip bad Finn generations during Vuori's influence, so maybe he is well on the radar, generally.

But I don't really know is Vuori good or bad as a scout. We did skip bad Finns, but also the're hasn't been any steals. His hockey operations for TPS Turku went pretty bad.

Only thing I know for sure, HÃ¥kan Andersson is Red Wings European Gold mine, and as long he stays in our organization, I don't mind others stealing secondary guys behind him. They will never have the same eye for scouting that Andersson has had.

But they can build a good system, and that's the job Director mainly does. Even a bad scout could be a good director and vise versa.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah, he's one of the most hated men among TPS-fans. Didn't handle their cult players so nicely, what got the fans against him.

But his job in TPS was different, so I don't know where this is going to end...

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Can't imagine the Leafs organization isn't aware of his history and both his strengths and weaknesses. So obviously they feel for his role here, he would do a good job.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Was he in a management role in TPS? My guess would be that his scouting record led him to a management role with TPS and his talents begin and end with scouting and management is not for him.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
He was catastrophe as player coordinator in TPS, but he did some good foreign signings for them. Hard to say anything about him as a young talent evaluator. As long as we have Thommie Bergman everything is good in europe.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
oh boo. now i'm all bummed out.
so do we have Luke Skywalker then?

(thanks for the correction :) )

Mitch Korn

may-the-force-be-with-you-500x264.jpg

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
One of the things I'm most excited about with this new group is how they're making the psychological aspect of playing in Toronto a major focus of player development. Hopefully this will help us bury this 'Toronto media' problem once and for all.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Was he in a management role in TPS? My guess would be that his scouting record led him to a management role with TPS and his talents begin and end with scouting and management is not for him.

He was first "player coordinator" and then his job was extended to "head of sports operations", which would be a management position, "managing and developing the sports operations", basically he was in charge of signings and building the team, but there is/was no seperate scouting position in the organisation. I think.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought Bergman would be Director of European Scouting, but maybe he's happy where he is. I knew we'd needed a Director of European Scouting though. Anybody to keep Morrison from going over there really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad