Leafs HFBoard Official Draft Board - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we are going into the 20's plus mcavoy should be on the list.
Went off the board and chose dubois as I think he will keep on his rise and is more north American game ready the Puljujarvi

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I like Dubois alot but you can't seriously take him over Puljujarvi at the 3rd pick. Dubois should go 4th.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I like Dubois alot but you can't seriously take him over Puljujarvi at the 3rd pick. Dubois should go 4th.

Agreed. Puljujarvi has done nothing to drop since going back to his club team after dominating the WJC.

I'm high on Dubois too but Puljujarvi has superstar, game breaking potential.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I take the fin at the moment but if our scouts at draft time think there is a d or c that is close I would take them instead in a second

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
To be honest I know D is our need, but no one should have one of the D this year in the top 5. Between the big 3, Dubois and Nylander, only after that do you start getting into the "too close to rank one way or the other" and I can see teams try on a D.

I think Chychrun drops, and I wouldn't be surprised if falls from the top 10, scouts are worried, he doesn't look like an NHL D at this point, is is still high on lists by name recognition and past success.

I think the first 6 picks are forwards, including Tkachuk, then Juel goes, and then who knows after that.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Puljujarvi. Gets interesting in #4. I expect Chychrun to take it though based on name value and reputation. I wouldn't touch him at #4 and I'd take both Sergachev and Juolevi over him.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
To be honest I know D is our need, but no one should have one of the D this year in the top 5. Between the big 3, Dubois and Nylander, only after that do you start getting into the "too close to rank one way or the other" and I can see teams try on a D.

I think Chychrun drops, and I wouldn't be surprised if falls from the top 10, scouts are worried, he doesn't look like an NHL D at this point, is is still high on lists by name recognition and past success.

I think the first 6 picks are forwards, including Tkachuk, then Juel goes, and then who knows after that.

Quote 1 single scout that says they don't think Chychrun will be an NHL D. This is fictitious. Chychrun's game is built for the nhl. He is the best D in the draft, but I can see if people simply look at points and YouTube clips how they might think otherwise. His game is very sound.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Quote 1 single scout that says they don't think Chychrun will be an NHL D. This is fictitious. Chychrun's game is built for the nhl. He is the best D in the draft, but I can see if people simply look at points and YouTube clips how they might think otherwise. His game is very sound.

His size and tools have never been in question, it's his hockey IQ. Maybe I phrased it wrong. Do you want to pick a D witha top 4 draft pick and get a bottom pairing D (ala Griffen Reinhart)?

Do you want to get a Fowler, who has all the tools, but has no basket, and eventually manages to make himself a serviceable #3 prone to massive mistakes (like Gardiner)?

Now, that is still considered a good pick, because you got a player. However, when there are forwards going directly behind him who are top 6 players who can impact the game, it doesn't look great.

In fact, it's not hard to find scouts who think Juolevi is more likely to be a star NHL D than Chychrun, simply due to the difference in IQ. You can get a better shot, you can get better at skating, you can put on size and strength, but you can't teach a hockey brain.

To me, he screams Fowler, Franson, Myers, etc. All disappointments.

To curve these comparisions (it was happening even last season) he has gone on record saying he is changing his game this year to be more defensive to show he can be a two way D, and not just a big D with some offense.

All that has done is really show he lacks creativity and IQ. He waits for the plays to come to him, and gets walked regularly.

He's a project for a #1 D IMO, who will most likely be a #4 D if everything works right. Not someone I take with one of the most important picks of our rebuild. In a few years if a similar guy comes up, sure, but not now when we NEED a homerun pick.

Sometimes I feel like I am one of the few to actually watch him, as most who do know this stuff. There's always these guys who will argue to the death for him just by looking at his improved stat line and remember the hype from last draft.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
His size and tools have never been in question, it's his hockey IQ. Maybe I phrased it wrong. Do you want to pick a D witha top 4 draft pick and get a bottom pairing D (ala Griffen Reinhart)?

Do you want to get a Fowler, who has all the tools, but has no basket, and eventually manages to make himself a serviceable #3 prone to massive mistakes (like Gardiner)?

Now, that is still considered a good pick, because you got a player. However, when there are forwards going directly behind him who are top 6 players who can impact the game, it doesn't look great.

In fact, it's not hard to find scouts who think Juolevi is more likely to be a star NHL D than Chychrun, simply due to the difference in IQ. You can get a better shot, you can get better at skating, you can put on size and strength, but you can't teach a hockey brain.

To me, he screams Fowler, Franson, Myers, etc. All disappointments.

To curve these comparisions (it was happening even last season) he has gone on record saying he is changing his game this year to be more defensive to show he can be a two way D, and not just a big D with some offense.

All that has done is really show he lacks creativity and IQ. He waits for the plays to come to him, and gets walked regularly.

He's a project for a #1 D IMO, who will most likely be a #4 D if everything works right. Not someone I take with one of the most important picks of our rebuild. In a few years if a similar guy comes up, sure, but not now when we NEED a homerun pick.

Sometimes I feel like I am one of the few to actually watch him, as most who do know this stuff. There's always these guys who will argue to the death for him just by looking at his improved stat line and remember the hype from last draft.

His hockey IQ is not in question either. I have not seen or read one single quote where his Hockey IQ has been in question (other then by the odd HF poster who has nothing to back it up and probably hasn't seen him play). I have seen play live twice and can say that his decision making and his ability to read and anticipate offensive and defensive situations was very good. In junior I seen Ekblad play live roughly 20 times, and Chychrun has that same poise on the blueline.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
His hockey IQ is not in question either. I have not seen or read one single quote where his Hockey IQ has been in question (other then by the odd HF poster who has nothing to back it up and probably hasn't seen him play). I have seen play live twice and can say that his decision making and his ability to read and anticipate offensive and defensive situations was very good. In junior I seen Ekblad play live roughly 20 times, and Chychrun has that same poise on the blueline.

Time will tell. I also wanted Hanifin over Marner last year, so who knows. I make an effort to watch at least the top 10 projected guys,and the guys who are starting to rise, so I know what we are getting.

If I'm wrong, and we're ever somehow in the same place, I'll buy you a beer.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Time will tell. I also wanted Hanifin over Marner last year, so who knows. I make an effort to watch at least the top 10 projected guys,and the guys who are starting to rise, so I know what we are getting.

If I'm wrong, and we're ever somehow in the same place, I'll buy you a beer.

Likewise.

I just feel like Chychrun gets a lot of unwarranted dissing on the forum, because people (not saying you) are trying to push someone they like better (Dubois seems to be the latest).

Last year I wanted Marner and was happy when they drafted him. This year I have Matthews and the 2 Finns top 3, but would love to see us get Chychrun if we have the 4th selection. I like Juolevi and Sergaychev a lot too, but I think Chychrun is a tier above them and is going to translate as a top pairing D (who also plays the right side). If you want a good read on Chychrun there is a good article in the new THN Futurewatch.

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
Chychrun is going to surprise alot of people after the draft. This no hockey sense talk is not correct and not justifiable IMO. I'd love to draft him 3/4. It's a coin toss for me.

"Jakob is a talented defenseman that is both physically gifted and has elite hockey sense. It shows immediately when you see him, but my favourite aspect of his game is what little hesitation he plays with. He just keeps on coming at the other team with different ways to attack." - Future Considerations

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Chychrun is going to surprise alot of people after the draft. This no hockey sense talk is not correct and not justifiable IMO. I'd love to draft him 3/4. It's a coin toss for me.

"Jakob is a talented defenseman that is both physically gifted and has elite hockey sense. It shows immediately when you see him, but my favourite aspect of his game is what little hesitation he plays with. He just keeps on coming at the other team with different ways to attack." - Future Considerations

I see too much Zach Bogosian in him personally. All the tools and great skating, but doesn't put them to use as he should. Might be injury issues there too. Besides that, I really question his offensive upside at the NHL level. Not in love with his decision making, whether that fits in "hockey sense" is semantics.

2nd pair D man at the NHL level imo.

Krylian

Jul 25, 2007
Fin #2.

Dubois is on the rise...but as it stands today, he hasn't cracked my top 3.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I voted for Pulu but was tempted to select Chychrun, just to get Mikeyg going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad