Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Mitch Marner to a three-year entry-level contract.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay, ACC said this:

I guess my concern is they dicked around Marner and now low ball Bernier. Seems like a dangerous trend.

and I would percieve that it is based on this:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
One note on Marner contract: he gets the "A" bonuses. Lou Lamoriello historically does not believe in them (see Adam Larsson), but.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
because negotiations began before he was hired, I understand he made an exception. Be interesting to see if it continues.

of that the debating point was either "Yes, Marner should get "A" Level Bonuses" or that "No, Marner should not." (I would gather that the debate was Marner shouldn't get them, and Lou said, nah toss them in"

So I looked at Nylander's ELC:
Nylander's contract has the typical stuff - but he has the performance kicking in. Marner's contract does not have that. (can you get that if you ELC in London, or is that part of the negotiations?)

My thing is - and I am a fan of, setting the standard early. Maybe the Leafs don't want to just toss extra money at players for any reason, regardless of their potential. Maybe it's like "we'll give you the bonuses if you do ABC in Junior and 1st year in the NHL, it will be incorporated in the contract somehow"

to me that makes a world of sense. Work hard, money will come. if someone like Marner has to go through those paces everyone else can/should to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad