Sportsnet: Leafs happy to stay in Blue Jays’ October shadow

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
When has the attention ever stopped the Leafs from sucking?

It doesn't really matter. Everyone knows the Leafs will suck.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree that for at least this season the attention about them not being good will be mentioned a lot. However for as long as the Blue Jays are in the playoffs let's hope that gets more attention and compared to the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the Leafs ever start the season remotely successful, like a couple wins a row, the hype train will jump back to them. I will guarantee that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

The Leafs have gotten off to great starts the last few years.

In 2011, they ended October 7-3-1.
In 2012, they had a winning record every month in the shortened season.
In 2013, they ended October 10-4.
Last year, they ended the year 21-14-3.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I think the Blue Jays' success will have a big effect on not only their overlapping play time with the Leafs, but the whole hockey season in Toronto. Everybody knows the Leafs will suck, nobody is expecting to watch them make it far this year.

The Blue Jays however, no matter how they finish, have done some great things this year. People will be hyped and looking forward to baseball all winter. The bandwagon fans won't go away, they'll become more educated. It's all about bringing sporting success to Toronto (that isn't the CFL). At long last we have that sporting success. Pressure is off for the Leafs this season, maybe even next. It's temporary, but it's definitely a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad