Leafs forwards for this season outscored last years group.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR(27) Bozak(23) Boyes(14)
Lupul(10) Kadri(18) Grabner(8)
Holland(11) Matthias(18) Winnik(9)
Glencross(13) Spaling(9) Parenteau(8)
Arcobello(17) Komarov(8) Panik(11)
196 Goals

JVR(27) Bozak(23) Kessel(25)
Lupul(10) Kadri(18) Santorelli(12)
Winnik(9) Holland(11) Clarkson(10)
Komarov(8) Panik(11) Booth(7)
Lindstrom(4) Smith(2)
177 Goals

Who would have thought!

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Even Beck(8) outscored Kozun(2). The gap would be bigger if you added one more forward to the mix.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Well if you only look at goals and take away the biggest playmaker, that's how things might look. But do you really think JVR and Bozak can match last year's results without Kessel feeding them?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I think JVR can score 25+ without Kessel. I think Kadri can make up for whatever Bozak regresses. I think Lupul scores more than 10. And I think there will be more opportunity with Kessel not on the ice for everyone to improve.

Regardless of what I think, it was just a fun fact topic.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The interesting thing in sport is that the production of a particular player is usually replaced.

The minutes will now be spread around. Yes, no superstar but they will score.

The biggest threat to goal production isn't Kessel's departure it will be whatever trapesque system Lou, Lemaire and Babcock dream up to keep the games close and competitive.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
With a more defensive team under Babcock's coaching, this should relate to more wins and if Babcock is looking to replace Kessel's goal scoring, this does fill the bill.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What is the difference, between the 177 the OP stated and the 211 the NHL has?

177 would put us as 28th in GF

The OP is showing goals by Forwards comparison only (before and after) and the 211 GF is the total goal totals by the entire team including the defense. :)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Leafs were 7th last in goals per game last year and 7th last on the PP.

Overall, I'd bet they end up around the same offensively or slightly better.

Sure they lost Kessel but he wasn't the same player last year as the previous few either.

Kadri will get more minutes on the PP. Lupul is better than a 32 point pace player. JVR is likely still at least a 25-25. Bozak is probably the biggest loser but a guy like Holland or Matthias hopefully run with the opportunity.

I don't think the offence can get much worse than the complete trainwreck of uninspired hockey we saw under Peter Horachek.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs were 7th last in goals per game last year and 7th last on the PP.

Overall, I'd bet they end up around the same offensively or slightly better.

Sure they lost Kessel but he wasn't the same player last year as the previous few either.

Kadri will get more minutes on the PP. Lupul is better than a 32 point pace player. JVR is likely still at least a 25-25. Bozak is probably the biggest loser but a guy like Holland or Matthias hopefully run with the opportunity.

I don't think the offence can get much worse than the complete trainwreck of uninspired hockey we saw under Peter Horachek.

Key line.
Many people think that is the Leafs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Its funny tsn couldn't calculate this simple math before they done a article wondering how the leafs will replace kessels goals eh.

This team regardless will be more effective lines 1 through 4 without kessel. Kessel might get 40 to fifty this year with crosby and the three on three factor that he will always be on the ice for.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You're assuming guys like Bozak will be able to score at the same rates away from Kessel.

Kadri's assist totals will likely rise, but I'll be very very surprised if the team overall scores more than last season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Our team may be better than last year, and that'll do a lot for the value of our players, but Edmonton and Buffalo surpassed us, and I don't think we surpassed anyone, so we are still a bottom 5 team.

Lupul's totals should go up, as should Kadri's. JVR's may go down, but not by much. It may even remain the same if Lupul's healthy enough and plays like he usually does when he's healthy. Bozak's will probably go down, but I still think he can hit 40-45 with the guys we'll put with him. He's playing against much easier people too remember, and his linemates can produce.

Bottom 6 is a crap shoot. They'll all probably get anywhere between the high teens and 35 points. Honestly, points in the bottom 6 doesn't really matter as much as what they do elsewhere as long as they do decent in that category.

Hopefully with a much better system, we'll do a little bit better. That and lack of a congruent team has killed us much more than the skill or value of our players. But a top 3 pick or even 1st overall still looks to be our future.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You're assuming guys like Bozak will be able to score at the same rates away from Kessel.

Kadri's assist totals will likely rise, but I'll be very very surprised if the team overall scores more than last season.

Bozak won't score at the same rate because he won't be our first line center. Kadri will get it and run. Bozak is a good third line center on a good team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Bozak won't score at the same rate because he won't be our first line center. Kadri will get it and run. Bozak is a good third line center on a good team.

We still haven't figured out who gets the most minutes. That will be earned. Bozak gets flack but he made the NHL through unconventional means through skill and hard work. I don't see him rolling over to give up his minutes.

And just because Kadri has the hope of fantasy poolers on his side, I don't see him getting the minutes unless he earns them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Our team may be better than last year, and that'll do a lot for the value of our players, but Edmonton and Buffalo surpassed us, and I don't think we surpassed anyone, so we are still a bottom 5 team.

Lupul's totals should go up, as should Kadri's. JVR's may go down, but not by much. It may even remain the same if Lupul's healthy enough and plays like he usually does when he's healthy. Bozak's will probably go down, but I still think he can hit 40-45 with the guys we'll put with him. He's playing against much easier people too remember, and his linemates can produce.

Bottom 6 is a crap shoot. They'll all probably get anywhere between the high teens and 35 points. Honestly, points in the bottom 6 doesn't really matter as much as what they do elsewhere as long as they do decent in that category.

Hopefully with a much better system, we'll do a little bit better. That and lack of a congruent team has killed us much more than the skill or value of our players. But a top 3 pick or even 1st overall still looks to be our future.

Babcock has alot of grinders with good work ethic and net drive on this roster. They could play a abrasive enough style conbining their tools to be a team that won't be easy to play. Cherry picking stretch passes will be something used sparingly by babs coaching style. Down a goal it won't be employed but two goals he will do it.

This team will be a strong puck support team just like detroit was under babs. It shouldn't take any longer than a month and a half before we start seeing that show up. By christmas they should be on to his system or on their way out of town.

I dont think there will be many games that we lose where it looks really bad. They will compete hard. Most likely though they we be last or second last in our conference when its all said and done. Matching last years goal totals still won't be a high scoring team.

The goals for and against ratio will be a interesting aspect to follow. It could really change the complexion of the success of our low scoring potential.

That ratio improving substantially leaves me very unsure about this teams potential. Maybe we are much better than any of us could anticipate because of system and this group of players grittier make-up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We still haven't figured out who gets the most minutes. That will be earned. Bozak gets flack but he made the NHL through unconventional means through skill and hard work. I don't see him rolling over to give up his minutes.

And just because Kadri has the hope of fantasy poolers on his side, I don't see him getting the minutes unless he earns them.

Kadri looks like he is getting first dibs from babcock if you listen to babs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad