Friedman: Leafs, Flames, Bruins interested in Schenn.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not sure why people are saying the Flames should be selling. They are right on the doorstep tied in the wildcard spot, 4 up on 10th and they have been dealing with quite a few injuries.

Schenn actually makes probably the most sense to the Flames over anyone else i've heard given injuries down the right side of their defense and his style seemingly a perfect fit under a Sutter coached team.

I think they could make a dent in the playoffs if Markstrom gets going.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I'm not sure why people are saying the Flames should be selling. They are right on the doorstep tied in the wildcard spot, 4 up on 10th and they have been dealing with quite a few injuries.

Schenn actually makes probably the most sense to the Flames over anyone else i've heard given injuries down the right side of their defense and his style seemingly a perfect fit under a Sutter coached team.

If you watched the Flames on a consistent basis you’d realize that the team isn’t good enough to go on a run if they even get into the playoffs. They skate slow, they mostly generate weak shots from the perimeter, Marky has become inconsistent. How does Luke Schenn fix any of these problems? Because he’s a “Sutter type of player?”. The team currently has a bunch of “Sutter type of player” and they’re mediocre at best

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Why exactly are the flames looking to add a ufa. Pretty much a waste of a pick.
I don’t think they are. I suspect the Flames have a very quiet deadline.

The only way they’d make a Schenn deal is if the team started looking a lot better, but that’s not happening. They’ll likely just sit on the sidelines and hope for better luck next year.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I like Schenn enough as a player. I was even hoping that Toronto would bring him back in the offseason.

But the trade speculation has gone too far. He's not some gem that teams should be bidding over. He's a low maintenance 3rd pairing guy. Not some game changing presence. On some good teams, he's be fighting for a roster spot.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Friedman was on Tim and Friends yesterday for his 3 of 32 segment and he said that while Vancouver wants to get Boesser done, Luke Schenn is likely next and the 3 most interested teams are Toronto, Calgary and Boston, I was expecting Tampa to be mentioned because he has history there.

I've been on the bring back Schenn train for quite a while, I don't think you can have to much defensive depth
if he's being traded straight up for Holl, I'd be all over it, though, Schenn cant play as many mins as Holl can, or skate, but, he's tough in front o the net, and it would mean more ice for Lili.
else, Schenn would be 7-9 D depth for the Leafs

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Signing Gio to that contract was good.

in terms of a trade, the way Schenn has played, him for one 2nd is better value than Gio for two 2nds
Gio makes his D partner look better, Schenn cant even skate at the NHL level, which is why he was considered a 'bust' after his first few seasons of sucking. as a stay at home D, and against protected line combos he has value.
Gio plays vs every teams top, and plays more. the 2 arent really comparable, other than the fact they are/were available semi-cheap

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I am going to launch a one man anti schenn campaign. A stiff with savvy is still a stiff. Aim higher Bruins. You can do better.

The level of upgrade over Clifton, if any, is not worth the cost and the assurance Clifton finds a new team next season.

A two way defenseman that can skate and understands what a puck is might be a different story.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Gio makes his D partner look better, Schenn cant even skate at the NHL level, which is why he was considered a 'bust' after his first few seasons of sucking. as a stay at home D, and against protected line combos he has value.
Gio plays vs every teams top, and plays more. the 2 arent really comparable, other than the fact they are/were available semi-cheap
What Schenn did/was 10 years ago is irrelevant. Right now he's been one of the few bright spots on an otherwise terrible team. You'd know this if you'd extend your analysis of the player to today instead of relying on what he was the last time he was on the Leafs

Reactions: Cogburn

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
What Schenn did/was 10 years ago is irrelevant. Right now he's been one of the few bright spots on an otherwise terrible team. You'd know this if you'd extend your analysis of the player to today instead of relying on what he was the last time he was on the Leafs
I'm sorry, but, he still cant skate at the NHL level. he is a below average skater, that has never changed and never will, its the expectations that changed. From a potential #1 Scot Stevens like bone crusher, to a bottom pair PKer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Friedman was on Tim and Friends yesterday for his 3 of 32 segment and he said that while Vancouver wants to get Boesser done, Luke Schenn is likely next and the 3 most interested teams are Toronto, Calgary and Boston, I was expecting Tampa to be mentioned because he has history there.

I've been on the bring back Schenn train for quite a while, I don't think you can have to much defensive depth
Leafs should get a goalie. Murray injured so much can't rely on him in playoffs

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

4 up on 10th, but the 10th place team has 3 games in hand.

We also have not had terrible injury luck, yes we lost Tanev for a few games and Andersson for one. But nothing catastrophic minus losing Kylington for the year (non injury related).

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm ok with Schenn if the Bruins were to acquire him. He's a decent option as a depth 6/7 defenseman. However, the Bruins should be paying for him as a depth D. If Sweeney pays any more than a 4th he's getting ripped off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad