Leafs First Rounders - Moving Both Up

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
What would id take to move both of these first round picks up? Two players I like are Nicklas Jensen and Mark Scheifele. Based on where they may go (Yes I realize Jensen is moving up and down alot on some lists). As far as my knowledge goes, these guys will likely go between 10-20. What would Burke need to package both first rounders with to move up?

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Maybe I misread your post but if we have to use a 25th and 28th overall pick plus something else just to move up to 12th or 15th then I would just keep what we have. Most players after the top 10 are a crap shoot. Some turn into Mike Richards and the guy drafted ahead of him turns into Marc-Antoine Pouliot. It's hit and miss.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Maybe I misread your post but if we have to use a 25th and 28th overall pick plus something else just to move up to 12th or 15th then I would just keep what we have. Most players after the top 10 are a crap shoot. Some turn into Mike Richards and the guy drafted ahead of him turns into Marc-Antoine Pouliot. It's hit and miss.

Sorta. I want to move up both tbh, but i understand what you are saying. I dont want to overpay but I am not sure what it takes to move up the picks to the 15 range.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

If we are using the 2 firsts and going by the NFL draft pick value chart (It's somewhat close enough to what an NHL draft pick value chart would be), we could get the 9th overall pick. If we threw in the second, then the value would be 4th overall...

Doubt they will be willing to deal.

I should have been clearer... I was using the 25th, 28th and 40th overall picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Those players you listed arent worth moving up for if it involves giving up both picks.

If im moving both those picks, It'd be for Ryan Murphy if he slides a bit ala Cam Fowler. I'd even add on something else if need be but only because I think he has generational type offence.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Ill say it a third time. NOT BOTH BICKS TO MOVE UP FOR 1 MORE PICK. Use one first rounder, and package it with other picks or prospects, and move up to 15ish range. Use other pick, package again, move up. NOT BOTH FOR ONE.

Im just curious what the value for THAT ^^^^^^^^ might be.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I just want to move up for zibanejad, jensen, etc. Guys that are just rated outside of the top 10 but have a high upside.

Yeah this is pretty much what i want. Guys that have high upside that can be impact players in the NHL. Both guys you listed have high end potential. These are the type of skill picks i want burke to make.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Ill say it a third time. NOT BOTH BICKS TO MOVE UP FOR 1 MORE PICK. Use one first rounder, and package it with other picks or prospects, and move up to 15ish range. Use other pick, package again, move up. NOT BOTH FOR ONE.

Im just curious what the value for THAT ^^^^^^^^ might be.

28 and a good prospect might get you into the 23-25 range. 25 and a good prospect might get you into the 20-22 range.

Neither of those picks, on their own or even with a good prospect thrown in, will get you anywhere close to the top 15 range, imo.

It's highly doubtful that even both of those picks, together or even with a good prospect thrown in, would get you anywhere close to the top 15 range.

Believe me, I hope it's possible, because I want the Oilers to be able to do something similar with their 20ish and 31st picks, but as people have said and I've come to realize, it's virtually impossible unless a lot of teams buy into the "weak draft" hysteria. And if it's such a weak draft, do you really wanna trade quantity and have less kicks at the can?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
im in favour of just drafting with what we have unless someone will trade us within the top 8 to get strome

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
28 and a good prospect might get you into the 23-25 range. 25 and a good prospect might get you into the 20-22 range.

Neither of those picks, on their own or even with a good prospect thrown in, will get you anywhere close to the top 15 range, imo.

It's highly doubtful that even both of those picks, together or even with a good prospect thrown in, would get you anywhere close to the top 15 range.

Believe me, I hope it's possible, because I want the Oilers to be able to do something similar with their 20ish and 31st picks, but as people have said and I've come to realize, it's virtually impossible unless a lot of teams buy into the "weak draft" hysteria. And if it's such a weak draft, do you really wanna trade quantity and have less kicks at the can?

What type of prospect do you mean of when you say good? And if it is truly that difficult to move up then i wouldnt, but we will see when draft day comes.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Scenarios I would be happy with:

Keep both picks, hopefully draft Catenacci + Kochlachev (sp?)

or

Package whatever it takes to get Puempel

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
assuming bos/phi is ~25 and leafs 2nd is around 38, together they should be worth around 20 based on past values.

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
If we are using the 2 firsts and going by the NFL draft pick value chart (It's somewhat close enough to what an NHL draft pick value chart would be), we could get the 9th overall pick. If we threw in the second, then the value would be 4th overall...

I should have been clearer... I was using the 25th, 28th and 40th overall picks.

I'm sorry but there is no way the 25th,28th, and 40th gets you to 4th overall I don't think that would even get you into the top 8 in this years draft because as they are saying any of the top 8 could be the best player in the draft. I don't even think that 25th and 28th gets you to ninth I think potentially both firsts will get you as high as 15th.

I understand you are using a chart for reference but the NFL and NHL IMO have completely different talent distributions. I believe there is a larger drop off for the NHL so high first rounders will be valued allot more.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I'd like to see Burke move up to get Mika Zibanejad if hes around at 18-20 with a 1st and our 2nd, then use the other 1st to draft David Musil. That'd be a solid draft.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007

An NFL chart wouldn't work. Depth picks are much more important in the NFL then they are in the NHL, with 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders being of pretty high value (since you need more total players, contracts and careers are shorter and players are picked in their early 20's as opposed to when they're 17 and are thus easier ) and top 10 picks are much less valuable (since the rate of getting a superstar doesn't drop off nearly as steeply in later rounds while the contracts are much larger the higher in the draft you go). The NHL is between the NBA and NFL in terms of how the value of picks is perceived, which basically makes it similar to neither.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Keep you're picks and hope these late rounders bloom.

BOS #1. Matt Puempel
PHI #1. Zack Phillips

Both supposed to be late first round picks from what I've heared. Would add much needed scoring to the team in the near future.

With the year Puempels having, I can imagine him going around 22nd - 26th.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hard to say what it will take to 'move up'. Or, what picks the Maple Leafs will have to play with on that day (maybe they move MacArthur? If Kaberle re-signs they have another 2nd round pick in next seasons draft to use if they want.. etc.)

Depends on how teams value the prospects who are on the board. If Team A feels there isn't a difference between 15-40 they may jump at the opportunity to move down in order to acquire multiple picks (more talent to their squad). Where if the Maple Leafs think there's strong prospects in 15-20 range and a drop off after, they may be willing to move up to get the quality player they believe is in that range.

Too soon to say what it takes to move up. We'll know more once the draft approaches.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Keep you're picks and hope these late rounders bloom.

BOS #1. Matt Puempel
PHI #1. Zack Phillips

Both supposed to be late first round picks from what I've heared. Would add much needed scoring to the team in the near future.

With the year Puempels having, I can imagine him going around 22nd - 26th.

Puempel could go top 15. Outside of the big 3 FW's, he's my favorite sniper of the draft. Hell, he might be the best goal scorer of this entire draft, bad hip or not.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
BOS 1st (20th) - Nicklas Jensen (forward - Oshawa Generals)

PHI 1st (27th) - Daniel Catenacci (forward - SSM Greyhounds)

TOR 2nd (40th) - Joe Morrow (defence - Portland Winterhawks)

TOR 3rd (70th) - Christopher Gibson (goaltender - Chicoutimi Sagueneens)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad