Leafs fan with info on Frattin

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I am sad to see him go. Hes one of the biggest steals of the 07 draft. Hes really solid on his skates, hits hard, great lower body strength, great wrist shot. above average skater. Good ol Canadian boy. Hel never be an elite player, doesnt have the hands and vision to become one. I see him as a 50 pt guy whos physical and solid defensively. Good character as well. in his junior season with university of north dakota he lost his scholarship and was kicked out of school becuase of a DUI (Doesn't sound like good character, but wait) he went back home to edmonton and worked construction all summer and saved up enough to pay his way back into school. He then went on to lead the entire ncaa in goals and carve out a nice start to his nhl career.
Hope he helps you guys win another cup some day. Also any info you can provide me with on Bernier would be appreciated, cheers

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
You guys will love him in your bottom 6. He is a player that will help you win championships with his grit, speed and goal scoring. Will be missed around here.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
He was such a clutch player in the start of the year, huge slapshot.
Then when he got injured he looked invisible all season and didn't do a whole lot in the playoffs.

He plays a hard game for his size and you can see how much talent he has- sucks to see him go

If we get more stability in the net I'll be happy

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
He's solid on his skates...reminds me of his new teammate Dustin Brown. He needs to improve his ability to release his shot quicker but when he does its heavy.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
IMO the only thing that keeps him from being a legit 1st liner is his hockey sense. From what I've seen, he can sometimes struggle to read the play and cycle the puck. Great speed, great shot and an absolute truck on his skates - he's at his best on the rush. I still think he's adjusting his game to NHL speed but if he is played with the right center (like when he was with Kadri) he could very easily have a few 30 goal seasons. Doesn't look out of place on any of the top 3 lines. Overall, I'm really sad to see him go, one of my favorite Leafs and I'm disappointed to see that we won't reap the benefits of his development. Kings fans, you'll love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORFxDx0jS4

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Time to pull out my 30 Matt Frattin Young Guns rookies haha.

And to pull out my Jonathan Bernier The Cup 1/1 Black RC...someone's going to pay me four digits in Canadian$$

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Matty could get blindsided by a train and he won't budge. Never seen a player with that kind of balance before.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I LOVE the fact we got him. I was hoping for either him or Martin from NYI in a deal, so I'm really pumped. As a Canadian Kings fan, I got to see this guy more than most Kings fans, and I'm really pleased we got both him and Scrivens in the deal. We have set ourselves up well going forward with this deal.

Toronto still got the best player I think but we got a very solid one in Frattin and a very stable backup in Scrivy. And a 2nd, which is nearly golden to Mike Futa and crew.

cujoflutie

Frattin was a PPG player through the first 20 games this year before completely falling off. Not sure if he can regain his PPG form since he'll likely be on your 3rd line but he plays a very LA Kings style game;

check out that goal; you guys will love it if he can do that a few times a year for you.

as for the rest, Scrivens is the perfect backup for you; he'll hold his own in the 10-12 starts he's scheduled for but he's also been called upon 3 teams to fill in for injuries: twice this year as 2nd string and once last year as 3rd string. And lastly he got along great with Reimer despite a mini controversy when Scrivens did start the year as #1 for a short bit. Basically good attitude, decent skill, and ability to fill in for short term injuries which is all the prerequisites you'll need for your backup.

And lastly it badly hurts Vancouver since there might only be one team which can take Luongo. (2 if Nabokov leaves the Island). Not sure how much that helps your team but it couldnt hurt.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
And lastly it badly hurts Vancouver since there might only be one team which can take Luongo. (2 if Nabokov leaves the Island). Not sure how much that helps your team but it couldnt hurt.

Anything that hurts Vancouver is good for us :) It would be funny if DL just targeted Toronto to just hurt Vancouver and make life more difficult up there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Frattin can put up numbers like scoring 7 goals in his first 10 games which he did this past season after getting called up when Lupul got injured, I think the Kings fans are going to enjoy watching him play.

Plus at least he would be doing that against the Western Conference, so he would only play against the Leafs only two times each season.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I posted this in the other thread, hope it's helpful, here it is again.

Leafs fan here.

You guys are going to love Frattin. The guy is pure heart and soul and works his ass off. He's built like a truck, only 6 ft tall but he weighs 210 lbs and hits hard. His shot is unreal, the guy was a goal scoring machine in college and the AHL, and was the Marlies best player in their Calder Cup run last year before he got injured. If the Kings use him on the PP on the half-wall like Stamkos, or put him with a solid playmaker, you guys will definitely reap the rewards.

Frattin is a very determined player and worked hard to get where he is. He screwed up in college by getting a DUI and being arrested for causing trouble while being intoxicated. He lost his scholarship and had to leave the school for a bit. At that point, Frattin could've just signed a contract with the Marlies and taken the easy way out. Instead, Frattin went back home to Alberta, and worked a hard labour construction job for a year, making back the money he needed to go back to college. He went back, carried the team and scored a lot of timely goals, and finished off his degree.

He is a good possession player who will go hard into the dirty areas. Him and Kadri had some good chemistry earlier in the season before he got injured. I think if he's placed with a guy like Kopitar or another solid playmaker it will do wonders for him.

Here's some 'beast' Frattin moments.

6'3" 210+ lb Mark Alt tries to hit Matt Frattin...the end result?
65802_462048887190424_1799072885_n.jpg

Beauchemin attempts to hit Frattin

McQuaid-Frattin collision

Beauty Frattin-Kadri play

Like I said, the guy is built like a truck. I hope he does well with the Kings, imo he suits the style your team plays perfectly.

His potential is to be determined still...some people are convinced he won't be more than a 3rd liner, but I don't think so. His shot is amazing, he's a good skater, and he goes into the dirty areas. With more PP time and offensive opportunities I think he can become a 20-25 goal scorer someday. He looked like he was on track for a great season earlier this year, but then he re-injured his knee and was never given the same opportunities when he finally came back. He looked great for us in the playoffs though.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
You're going to love Frattin.

Truck on skates. Incredible lower body strength.

Be happy, guys.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Hoping Frattin thrives in LA.

Once in a while, he will need a kick or two from coach to get him to play physical, because that's when his at his absolute best. When his engaged physically, he just feeds of that.

As other Leaf fans have stated, great shot, good skater that has GREAT balance (evident in those videos posted).

Pretty much a player that will fit into Kings team really well.

KHenry14

May 23, 2013
Once in a while, he will need a kick or two from coach to get him to play physical, because that's when his at his absolute best. When his engaged physically, he just feeds of that.

Oh, he'll get that and more from Sutter. :D

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Came here to post the 7 goals in ten games info. He did that after getting called up and just before his minor corrective knee surgery. He is a player on the verge IMO. It hurts to see him go because I think you have a legit 20-30 goal scoring power forward in your hands. He isn't a massive sized player, but has a low centre of gravity and can plow through people or around them with his speed. Excellent shot both snapper and wrister are world class. Excited for him to see him on a recent cup team.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
LeafofBread;

thanks for the post and clips. none of the Kings bottom 6 can score goals like that; Frattin obviously can score. Since Frattin can play LW, he would do great with Richards and Carter. I hope he gets his shot there.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Came here to post the 7 goals in ten games info. He did that after getting called up and just before his minor corrective knee surgery. He is a player on the verge IMO. It hurts to see him go because I think you have a legit 20-30 goal scoring power forward in your hands. He isn't a massive sized player, but has a low centre of gravity and can plow through people or around them with his speed. Excellent shot both snapper and wrister are world class. Excited for him to see him on a recent cup team.

Thanks - Frattin can play and Lombardi said he tried to trade for him 2
years ago. You will love Bernier....Reimer may not, however. Bernier
is an amazing goalie right now and an exceptional talent, period. Poised, confident, and ready. Nothing will stop him. If it wasn't for Bernier, the Kings POSSIBLY would have missed the playoffs this year.
He was 9-3 and 1.88 GAA. What more could 1 expect? He also relieved Quick in a game vs the Hawks in Conf Finals and blanked them for 30 minutes. Looked totally comfortable and was perfect.

cujoflutie

LeafofBread;

thanks for the post and clips. none of the Kings bottom 6 can score goals like that; Frattin obviously can score. Since Frattin can play LW, he would do great with Richards and Carter. I hope he gets his shot there.

I've followed Richards and Carter since they were in the OHL (Richards played for my favourite junior team and Carter was in our conference), that would be one of the most fun lines to watch in the league on the nights Frattin brings his game. And if all 3 show up, that could be the best shut down line in the game. I'm already giddy at the prospect of those 3 going head to head with the Sedins
:sarcasm:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I think you guys are going to love him. As soon as I heard about the trade, I felt like Frattin may have been the key piece to the deal because he is LA Kings hockey. He's fast, he's strong and he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. He can score with a lethal shot or he can crash the net and tip in a deflection. He's definitely a workhorse and he's had to work hard to overcome some bad personal decisions in his life so to see where he's come and how hard he works, it makes it even easier to love the guy. Best of luck to him in LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad