TSN: Leafs Extend Morgan Rielly 6 years - 5 AAS

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I was expecting 7-8 years and a higher AAS.

But super pleased we signed him to such a great contract. He will sign his next contract in his prime but considering we will most likely be a very good team by then and him having a leadership role I guess he sign an 8 year deal then so that the cap hit can stay low. Would take him to 36.

But here I am speculating about his next, most likely retirement contract. lol. I am just so pleased to have him signed long term to a great contract and I hope he is a life time Leaf.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I was expecting 7-8 years and a higher AAS.

But super pleased we signed him to such a great contract. He will sign his next contract in his prime but considering we will most likely be a very good team by then and him having a leadership role I guess he sign an 8 year deal then so that the cap hit can stay low. Would take him to 36.

But here I am speculating about his next, most likely retirement contract. lol. I am just so pleased to have him signed long term to a great contract and I hope he is a life time Leaf.

I would have liked 8 years, but I'm guessing that it's Rielly (and his agent) that made 6 the ceiling. They should have a much stronger negotiating position at 28 than 30.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This contract is JVR level. So so good. Really hope he continues to get better he struggled at times this season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
again I don't have an issue with the 6.
while I believe morgan wants to stay here etc. I think 6 is the perfect number

1: it gives him time to really cash in (and i'm sure we'd do it) in his 3rd contract.
2: if for whatever reason he wants to be all "Bye, Felecia" 6 is a lot shorter than 8 in that regard (i mean let's remember his first three years in the league were kinda... gong-showish. (even this year and that's with the better management/coaching. all this kid's known so far is losing. he's banking on us being good).

3: if for whatever reason WE want to be all Bye, Felecia! 6 years at a managable cap hit is a lot easier than 7-8.

it keeps all of OUR options open, it keeps all of HIS options open .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can see management did this to give management the most cap flexibility when they think the team will be the most competitive (some point over the next six years).

Yes it means that if they want to resign a UFA Morgan it will be costly, but perhaps hey will have his replacement in the pipeline by then.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I like both contracts.. :)

Why two threads about the same topic, though..?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2063619

Probably because that one devolved into a Kadri vs Mystery Center thread, as we're known for.

I think this deal not only locks up Mo for a very reasonable cap hit, but it also sets the standard for team at this point. He's the big guy on the Leafs now, and this is what management was willing to give him. Basically dont be expecting a gimme contract with a free no movement clause thrown in.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Probably because that one devolved into a Kadri vs Mystery Center thread, as we're known for.

I think this deal not only locks up Mo for a very reasonable cap hit, but it also sets the standard for team at this point. He's the big guy on the Leafs now, and this is what management was willing to give him. Basically dont be expecting a gimme contract with a free no movement clause thrown in.

Thanks... I saw that later on, that the title had been altered on the Kadr/Rielly thread..., so my apologies to the OP..

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Even though I am not a big Rielly fan, I am content with the deal. Although I feel he is overpaid slightly for what he brings to the table at this point, he still has upside and can easily make this contract look like a bargain if he develops like most here seem to think he will. I don't think he will ever be that #1 all situation defender, but if he does I have no problem ponying up when the time comes.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Love it..!! :)

CgVNGeZUYAEig2V.jpg

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Morgan Rielly
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 9 1994 -- Vancouver, BC
22 yrs. ago
Height 6.01 -- Weight 214

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
81 Games... 8 Goals... 21 Assists... 29 Points... -16
----------------------------------------*----------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs -NHL
82 Games... 9 Goals... 27 Assists... 36 Points... -17

D-Iron-Man: All Morgan Rielly's 2015-16 Goals & Highlights - TML

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I can't get over how great of a contract this is. The only thing that would have made it perfect was it to have been signed for the max 8 years. But no complaints. We are going to see a star blossom before our eyes that'll make this deal look like a steal and he'll be able to cash in again while he hits his prime at 28.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rielly's contract is gonna look like an absolute bargain in the next few years as he starts cracking the top 15-20 best D in the league.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Morgan Rielly
Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 9 1994 -- Vancouver, BC
22 yrs. ago
Height 6.01 -- Weight 214

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
81 Games... 8 Goals... 21 Assists... 29 Points... -16
----------------------------------------*----------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs -NHL