Post-Game Talk: Leafs down Lightning 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t see Bunting going crazy on anyone. He’s a weasel and I like that, but he would just grind his gloves or hands in someone’s face.

Would like to see some natural toughness in the lineup. ZAR is the only forward I can recall seeing in a fight. I know Rielly and Sandin jumps in, Geordano can but he’s too old and shouldn’t. Tavares wants to but he can’t fight, Mathews Marner, Nylander won’t fight. Kampf, Liljegren and Engvall are built like battering rams, but they don’t have the emotion or crazy edge to beat anyone up. Holl is a marshmallow.

I hope Hunt lives up to his billing. But he’s still just a 4th line guy.

It’s an element that is always missing in the playoffs, being able to initiate contact, fight through checks and impose will on the ice legally.

We don’t need a penalty machine like Clifford

The challenge is... but who... who might be available, is willing to fight, but isn't a liability, plays physical.. and can be higher up in the lineup. I look at guys like Tanner Jeannot.. pretty ideal, but then why would he be available... Crouse, again, Arizona loves him, Comtois Possibly available, is a reclamation project.. People talk about Bertuzzi.. who has had one fight in the last four years... more before that, but that's 157 games

Reactions: Duffman955

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Need to be willing to get dirty with the Tampa players if we face them in the playoffs.

Take out Kucherov or Stamkos' knee because you don't see any of their players hesitating to get their licks in on our guys.
Having guys playing on the edge is part of what makes a team a winner.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The challenge is... but who... who might be available, is willing to fight, but isn't a liability, plays physical.. and can be higher up in the lineup. I look at guys like Tanner Jeannot.. pretty ideal, but then why would he be available... Crouse, again, Arizona loves him, Comtois Possibly available, is a reclamation project.. People talk about Bertuzzi.. who has had one fight in the last four years... more before that, but that's 157 games

And let's be honest... if we did what some other teams did, we would be getting stiffer penalties which only goes against us.

I wouldn't worry about trying to take out people's kneecaps. Worry about getting some cheap depth scoring or don't do anything at all. We don't need a big move, and we shouldn't want to pay the price for one either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And let's be honest... if we did what some other teams did, we would be getting stiffer penalties which only goes against us.

I wouldn't worry about trying to take out people's kneecaps. Worry about getting some cheap depth scoring or don't do anything at all. We don't need a big move, and we shouldn't want to pay the price for one either.

Honestly, I like the idea of picking up Comtois. I don't think that the price would be high, and he's shown he can play at a decent level before. He's still young, a RFA, so you have control. He's got size, grit... Do it shortly, and see if it works. If it doesn't, you still have time to get the depth scoring from somewhere else.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Theres a different set of rules for our team, so we need the guys doing it to be replaceable
That's correct. There's far too many eyes watching Leafs games. The League is forced to act more forcefully when a Leaf player does something questionable. It's not really biased, just how business works.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
My apologies………
To the Leaf organization, especially the players and most everyone in here ….
I’ve been fortunate to be a Leaf fan for over 60 years now, few of you know what I mean indeed .
Ups downs and most of all just being a fan …
Sometimes though my “ downs of being a Leaf fan “ get to me and I cross the line in my fair judgement of players and teams and games .
I pride myself in at least calling out situations and players and coaching and management decisions down the middle and honest , without prejudice…
But sometimes and tonight I crossed the line and let my emotions and just burnt out sometimes as a fan and this recent pattern of “chocking “ gets to all of us especially me !
I still feel exactly the way I’ve been screaming about the net negative value of , Engvall and Kerfoot and jarncrok ? Sp ? And Holl and before Malgin .
But tonight I made errors in my judgment and called out the team for falling into a “defensive shell “ and playing on their heels …
I was wrong , they played real good tonight , that’s a great team out there against us , Champions , warriors and they are not as dominant anymore, but extremely and rightfully prideful and arrogant.
So they obviously were going to come at us as they did , I didn’t give them any credit and more importantly I didn’t give us any credit for sticking with it and trusting our talent to take advantage.
We did a great job at defending and have for a while …
So in summary
I really think we need a top 6 LWer
And
Hopefully a tough good d man
And one more “ Perry “ like player , younger hopefully .
Either way
My sincere apologies to Mighty Mighty Leaf Nation and our beloved franchise and Team
Go Leafs Go !!!!!
You are not alone. Many of us feel your pain

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's correct. There's far too many eyes watching Leafs games. The League is forced to act more forcefully when a Leaf player does something questionable. It's not really biased, just how business works.
Does this phenomena also take place in Yankees, Lakers or Cowboys games?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This is a huge win. I don't care if it's a regular season game.

You got ro destroy these f***ers mentally and physically since we will see them in first round

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Does this phenomena also take place in Yankees, Lakers or Cowboys games?
It exists because league had 1 Toronto ref hired before Bettman took over and Wes is still there .. NHL only recently have hired another TO ref 25 years later (as Wes will retire soon) .. meanwhile there have been tons of refs from Montreal, Boston, Chicago and NY even .. and there have been many highly qualified TO refs at final ref qualification school who just never made da grade over 25 years .. even though GTHL has developed more junior AHL and Euro refs than anywhere else in da world BAR NONE .. things that make you go WHAAAAAAATTTT

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don’t see Bunting going crazy on anyone. He’s a weasel and I like that, but he would just grind his gloves or hands in someone’s face.

Would like to see some natural toughness in the lineup. ZAR is the only forward I can recall seeing in a fight. I know Rielly and Sandin jumps in, Geordano can but he’s too old and shouldn’t. Tavares wants to but he can’t fight, Mathews Marner, Nylander won’t fight. Kampf, Liljegren and Engvall are built like battering rams, but they don’t have the emotion or crazy edge to beat anyone up. Holl is a marshmallow.

I hope Hunt lives up to his billing. But he’s still just a 4th line guy.

It’s an element that is always missing in the playoffs, being able to initiate contact, fight through checks and impose will on the ice legally.

We don’t need a penalty machine like Clifford
Would be nice if our 6’3” 234 lbs guy could fit that mold.

horner

May 22, 2007
Thats kind of a big worry though. I mean he's like our modern day Hasek. He can win you games with just 1 goal

You know Tampa is going to get somebody on the deadline and that player is going to step up as their rentals for some reason always do

We really have to get a big dog this year. Someone like Kane, Tarasenko, O'Reilly or Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi would be the most ideal choice and probably cost the least.
To me against Vasi , you can have all the best scorers in the game but if you don't have players willing to go to the net and get in his face . You won't score.

The Bunting goal was a perfect example marner and tavares were block in his view .
That is what we need in the playoffs against Vasi.

That is the player I would be seeking in a trade for the top six .

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The fans can't get high or low. It's unnecessary, they area a good team, a strong team, even those who hate T.O know this. They also believe come playoffs this team has folded and not fought through. Space wil disappear...drastically.

This is the difficult task in which a GM and his team must bear down and ask, "you know, we have slowly brought in some players who have improved this teams prospects over the last two years alone, what do we need to improve in that short deadline window that will catapult us to the last dance?

A single win or loss isn't as meaningdul in itself as long as their process has generally been consistent.

Its a season in which earlier than usual you assess their potential in an honest manner. Dubas likes to be active, fans like it as it shows he is reaching deep within his team to find the improvements needed. Some players might find better fits elsewhere while Leafs get the Gamers needed.

It can't be easy. The reward for winning is well worth it.
This is one of the most eyeroll inducing word salads I've ever read here, and I've been here for like 13 years.

I have no clue what you're trying to say to me, and I have 0 interest in having you elaborate any further or provide an explanation.

If you think the fans can't get high or low, you simply don't understand this marketplace. Just say so and move on. I know I am.

Have a nice day.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is one of the most eyeroll inducing word salads I've ever read here, and I've been here for like 13 years.

I have no clue what you're trying to say to me, and I have 0 interest in having you elaborate any further or provide an explanation.

If you think the fans can't get high or low, you simply don't understand this marketplace. Just say so and move on. I know I am.

Have a nice day.

Such a charmer, on a sports forum no less! Rare indeed...

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
The NHL, like all other entertainment mediums is largely scripted. The egregious non-calls this team is forced to contend with is mind numbing. Case and Point - Leafs and Caps Saturday night. Justin Holl makes no attempt on the puck and gets his head rammed into the boards. Later, on what should be a power play for the Leafs, Washington scores.

Like most corporations nowadays the NHL despises its traditional markets and resents the long time fans. These teams aren't competing anymore, they are merely business partners, which would explain why MLSE bends over backwards to placate Bettman when it should be the other way around.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sergachev fined 5000 for his slash on Bunting. They should probably look at the cross check to Sandin neck in the first period by Perry (18 min mark, 2 min left), and Kucherov’s boarding. But I’m whining I guess.

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Yeah, I really don't know. I would think by now we would have seen him fight if he had that in him.
Bunting is nothing like Tucker, IMO.
Never said he was like tucker just wanted him to have a moment like a deservedly beating just hopeful one of our guys snap and see's red one of these days. Not that ill hold my breath but tis the season of wishes

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
To me against Vasi , you can have all the best scorers in the game but if you don't have players willing to go to the net and get in his face . You won't score.

The Bunting goal was a perfect example marner and tavares were block in his view .
That is what we need in the playoffs against Vasi.

That is the player I would be seeking in a trade for the top six .
Wrong goal. The Matthews goal on the PP was with Marner screening (beautifully). The Bunting goal was the great pass by Nylander, and Bogosian might have screened Vasi a bit.

But I agree - we need someone who will stand in the slot and screen the goalie. Tavares will stand there, but he tends to not screen because he's looking for a pass or a rebound.

I'd be willing to try Engvall there if he'd stand his ground and take the abuse. Otherwise, maybe Kampf or Bunting.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner and Tavares screening beautifully***
Weird how you keep leaving out Tavares when talking about this.
I just looked at it again.

Marner is screening him, Tavares is, as usual, a bit off to the side.

And if course you delete the part of my post that does talk about Tavares.

Weird how you never seem to get your facts right.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I just looked at it again.
Marner is screening him, Tavares is, as usual, a bit off to the side.
And if course you delete the part of my post that does talk about Tavares.
Weird how you never seem to get your facts right.
You mentioned Tavares just to misrepresent him, and I was addressing a different statement.
The only one who can't get their facts right is you. As the puck comes off the stick:
tavares screen.png

A beautiful screen by Marner and Tavares, just as they said on the broadcast.
Weird how you refuse to give Tavares credit where credit is due.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Those were pretty empty netters. Engvall finally showing some offensive IQ with that stop up. Nylander just being Nylander putting on the jets on Hedman

Reactions: notDatsyuk

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Need to be willing to get dirty with the Tampa players if we face them in the playoffs.

Take out Kucherov or Stamkos' knee because you don't see any of their players hesitating to get their licks in on our guys.

The only difference between leafs series and avs, its kuemper didn't giving up 4 shitty goal at the worst time possible like campbell did...

Leafs dont need much more physicalitty, its not how they will beat tampa... they need to be faster like they did and get a goalie making saves he need to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad