Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpg

Game day: Toronto Maple Leafs at New Jersey Devils
Taylor Hall leads the Devils in his first season in New Jersey

By Star staff
Wed., Jan. 4, 2017

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...toronto-maple-leafs-at-new-jersey-devils.html

PRUDENTIAL CENTER

FACEOFF: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

KEY PLAYERS

Auston Matthews, Leafs, and Taylor Hall, Devils. While the Leaf super-rookie continues to wreak havoc on opposing goaltenders — Matthews has 10 goals in 14 games since the start of December — the Devils’ offence has been led by Taylor Hall. In his first season with New Jersey after being dealt away by the Edmonton Oilers, Hall has nine goals and 16 assists in 29 games. He has five points in his last five games.

NEED TO KNOW

The Devils had a rough time in December, winning just four games and losing 11. They started 2017 on a better note, with veteran netminder Cory Schneider shutting out Boston 3-0 . . . The Devils have scored just 2.28 goals per game, 27th in the league through Tuesday, and have a goal differential of minus-36, 28th overall. The Leafs have averaged 3.03 goals a game, fifth in the NHL . . . Former Leafs forward P-A Parenteau leads New Jersey in goals, with 11.

UP NEXT

Saturday, vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Devils
By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/05/game-day-maple-leafs-at-devils

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Friday, 7:30 p.m., Prudential Center

TV: SNO; Radio: 590 AM

THE BIG MATCHUP

Nazem Kadri vs. Adam Henrique

These two had some junior hockey battles not that long ago, when Kadri played for Kitchener and London and Henrique in Windsor. The 26-year-olds could see a lot of each other if Auston Matthews and Travis Zajac spend much of the night butting heads. Kadri and Henrique won’t give each other an inch.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Andersen needs to have a good game.

He wasn't good enough against Washington. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good enough. Don't blame him on the OT winner that was all on the skaters.

All that open ice and the speed was left on the bench to start the overtime.

Defense can't make as many mistakes and expect to keep winning.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Absolutely hate facing the Devils. They always play hard against us and seem to have our number.

I'd go Bibeau here and Andersson tomorrow.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Absolutely hate facing the Devils. They always play hard against us and seem to have our number.

No way. We have a better record vs NJ than the Habs, we need the 2 points. Try to win tomorrow and then try for at least a point vs the Habs.

Who knows maybe with the teams confidence at a all time high they'll wreck the habs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

He wasn't good enough against Washington. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good enough. Don't blame him on the OT winner that was all on the skaters.

Who was responsible for that decision? It couldn't have been Babcock! No way it was him, as he is the best coach in the world!

A lot of his decisions, especially his player personnel choices, have me scratching my head far too often.

I'm still glad we have him as head coach, but, he does do some weird things at times.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd start Bibeau here. With some overnight travel involved it would be good to have a fresh and rested Andersen against the Habs tomorrow

With the Leafs then having 5 days off I wouldn't be surprised to see Bibeau sent to the Marlies for their games Wednesday before being recalled for the Leafs back to back next weekend.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would rather lose to NJ and beat the Habs!

So, yes, save Andersen for Saturday.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who was responsible for that decision? It couldn't have been Babcock! No way it was him, as he is the best coach in the world!

A lot of his decisions, especially his player personnel choices, have me scratching my head far too often.

I'm still glad we have him as head coach, but, he does do some weird things at times.

He had Kadri/Komorov against Ovechkin all night, why would anyone be surprised he had them out against them in OT?

It's not required you try and win the game on the 1st shift.

I'd start Bibeau here. With some overnight travel involved it would be good to have a fresh and rested Andersen against the Habs tomorrow

With the Leafs then having 5 days off I wouldn't be surprised to see Bibeau sent to the Marlies for their games Wednesday before being recalled for the Leafs back to back next weekend.

A quick flight back won't be too tiring.

I would start Andersen twice but if they were to split, I'd give Bibeau the Habs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He was awful against Washington however he has been carrying them for 2 months so he's allowed to have a bad game but make no mistake he was BAD

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd like to see Andersen both nights.

If it were the playoffs do you rest anyone?

The Leafs haven't been overworked this half, that's why they have so many games in hand.

No excuse to rest Andersen.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He had Kadri/Komorov against Ovechkin all night, why would anyone be surprised he had them out against them in OT?

It's not required you try and win the game on the 1st shift.

Some of you guys just have go out of your way to defend Babcock at all costs.

There is absolutely no way I would have started Komarov in OT. IMHO, Matthews should have started the OT. Maybe you put Kadri on the ice to shadow Ovechkin, but, you have to use your speed players with all that open ice 3 on 3. I would have also started Gardiner with Rielly.

Of course you want to win the game on the 1st shift. That's just nonsense to say you should just wait to try and win the game. You can be rest assured that the other team wants to win it as quick as they can. Why would you try to wait to win a game on OT?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

What? If anything the Leafs have the Devils number. Maybe less so the last 2 years with the Leafs being garbage, but historically NJ games have been favourable to the Leafs.

Brodeur's stats against the Leafs are some of his worst.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He was awful against Washington however he has been carrying them for 2 months so he's allowed to have a bad game but make no mistake he was BAD

Disagree. 4 of those goals were cross ice passes to a guy standing all by himself...need to blame someone, start with the swiss cheese we call defense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

There is absolutely no way I would have started Komarov in OT. IMHO, Matthews should have started the OT. Maybe you put Kadri on the ice to shadow Ovechkin, but, you have to use your speed players with all that open ice 3 on 3. I would have also started Gardiner with Rielly.

Of course you want to win the game on the 1st shift. That's just nonsense to say you should just wait to try and win the game. You can be rest assured that the other team wants to win it as quick as they can. Why would you try to wait to win a game?

Winning the game on the 2nd shift is better than losing the game on the 1st shift.
I'm not much of a Komarov fan but he is one of the speed players.
I didn't see much complaining when those same players started OT against McDavid and scored.

Some of you guys go out of your way to bash Babcock at all costs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would rather win both....Andy in both, then 5 days off.

I like it, but, some would say you're raising the chance of a goalie injury if you start them in both back to back games.

I don't necessarily agree with this theory, unless you have a more fragile veteran starting goalie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Disagree. 4 of those goals were cross ice passes to a guy standing all by himself...need to blame someone, start with the swiss cheese we call defense.

He allowed 6 goals, anyway you look it that's bad, but like I said it's OK because he's been stellar since November 1.

But ther ZERO argument for him being good against Washington

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'd like to see Andersen both nights.

If it were the playoffs do you rest anyone?

The Leafs haven't been overworked this half, that's why they have so many games in hand.

No excuse to rest Andersen.

Good post - EXACTLY - either he's our guy or he isn't!

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

Of course you want to win the game on the 1st shift. That's just nonsense to say you should just wait to try and win the game. You can be rest assured that the other team wants to win it as quick as they can. Why would you try to wait to win a game on OT?

Has Babs told people why he started Komorov?

can't start Bozak and Marner as Bozak is a tire fire in his zone.

Is Babs thinking lets start Kadri and Komorov then get possession and wear out WAS group or if they lost possession should be able to defend a bit...which didn't happen.

If they wore out WAS then they sneak Matthews on and Wash is now a tired group and he goes to work on a tire group. That is my only rational behind Babs decision

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't care who starts in goal tonight but if Andersen doesn't start tomorrow, I'll be pissed.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Winning the game on the 2nd shift is better than losing the game on the 1st shift.
I'm not much of a Komarov fan but he is one of the speed players.
I didn't see much complaining when those same players started OT against McDavid and scored.

Some of you guys go out of your way to bash Babcock at all costs.

Well, it's rather difficult to win the game on the 2nd shift if you've already allowed the opposition to win it on the 1st shift.

Komarov may have some speed, but, he sure to hell doesn't have the speed, and skills, as some of our younger guns.

As for Babcock, I'm not completely against him as coach, but, I do question some of his player personnel decisions at times. I think we could have a lot better record if he could get over his personal favorite attachments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad