Pre-Game Talk: Leafs-Dallas | December 23rd 2014 | OH GREAT, SEGUIN. JUST WHAT WE NEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Well team Canada is playing the Swiss in a exhibition game tonight at the same time.

Fans can keep an eye on that game between commercials and intermissions.

Leafs really need a win in this one so you're likely to see a fairly decent performance from the guys tonight because Leafs players love to score and Dallas is very generous in that department.

4-1 Dallas

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs were 10-1-1 in their last 12 games and on a roll.

Roman Polak returns from injury to improve the defense.

Leafs go 0-3-0 in the last 3 games since his return being outscored 15-5 during that stretch, with Holzer, Gardiner and Robidas all rotated in and out.

Leafs were doing really well and often you don't mess with success and it looks like this move altered chemistry and turned winning to losing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs are the only team in a playoff position with over 100 GA, pretty clear that this team either scores its way out of problems or it loses.

Leafs go 0-3-0 in the last 3 games since his return being outscored 15-5 during that stretch.

Leafs were doing really well and often you don't mess with success and it looks like this move altered chemistry and turned winning to losing.

Same Leafs top defenseman and top forward since 2011, what do we expect, players to change their spots? I think we're watching a version of the Wizard of Oz, with the Tinman, Scarecrow and Lion still looking for the courage, heart and brain.

It has always been outscore the problems in this Burke-Nonis built team.

I just watch for entertainment purposes, more comedy than drama. If they suck, there's usually some entertaining moments, if they don't suck there are other entertaining moments.

As for Polak coming in, I don't think it mattered any, the underlying stats said they were playing with fire. It would have been more surprising if they continued to win.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Same Leafs top defenseman and top forward since 2011, what do we expect, players to change their spots? I think we're watching a version of the Wizard of Oz, with the Tinman, Scarecrow and Lion still looking for the courage, heart and brain.

It has always been outscore the problems in this Burke-Nonis built team.

I just watch for entertainment purposes, more comedy than drama. If they suck, there's usually some entertaining moments, if they don't suck there are other entertaining moments.

As for Polak coming in, I don't think it mattered any, the underlying stats said they were playing with fire. It would have been more surprising if they continued to win.

I agree, same players same results, some coaches IE Pat Burns, Lamaire, Bowman can get any player to play defence. Randy is not a bad coach, he's just not a HoF coach, if Randy has the type of players that play his game, he can have very good results, which can be said of most long term NHL coaches.

The Leafs win streak had more to do with getting a lot of lucky bounces and confidence, than it did with good fundamental hockey. Polak returning has very little to do with the last 3 games.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
When is the last time Leafs drafted a #1 rounder and he played like an all-star for 10+ years. It doesn't happen here. Playing in Toronto is a confidence killer for a young kid. ...see Kadri's first years.

An exhaustive list of current NHLers who have played in 10+ all star games:
Nobody

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs go 0-3-0 in the last 3 games since his return being outscored 15-5 during that stretch, with Holzer, Gardiner and Robidas all rotated in and out.

I thought although winning they were losing the Math and losses were expected?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Will the Leafs be able the contain the leagues leading goal scorer?

Leafs struggled against Kane/Toews and Voracek/Giroux and Seguin/Benn might give them trouble tonight.

Seguin leads the league with 25 goals in 32 games and is 2nd in scoring and he loves to play the Leafs, having some real productive games including a hattrick in his past.

Who wins the head to head battle tonight Kessel or Seguin might go a long way to determine who wins this game.

I'm expecting a lot of goals in this game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought although winning they were losing the Math and losses were expected?

Teams chasing us for the Wild Card spot:

Toronto Games played = 34, points = 41, GA = 102
NYR Games played = 31, points = 38, GA = 81
Florida Games played = 32, points = 38, GA = 82
Boston Games played = 34, points = 37, GA = 88

If this doesn't change for the better, we will get taken out. Maybe not the epic collapse of previous years, but a definite 9,10 finish in the standings.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When is the last time Leafs drafted a #1 rounder and he played like an all-star for 10+ years. It doesn't happen here. Playing in Toronto is a confidence killer for a young kid. ...see Kadri's first years.

Darryl Sittler taken 8th overall in 1970 and Lanny MacDonald drafted #4 overall in 1973.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Teams chasing us for the Wild Card spot:

Toronto Games played = 34, points = 41, GA = 102
NYR Games played = 31, points = 38, GA = 81
Florida Games played = 32, points = 38, GA = 82
Boston Games played = 34, points = 37, GA = 88

If this doesn't change for the better, we will get taken out. Maybe not the epic collapse of previous years, but a definite 9,10 finish in the standings.

Most reasonable expectations were a border line Playoff Team. I agree, that's about where they will end up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Most reasonable expectations were a border line Playoff Team. I agree, that's about where they will end up.

The reason we collapse is because of our high powered offense. By that I mean it goes through periods of unreal shooting % that propel us up in the standings for a limited time before it crashes. Without it we have no business being that high. That's why we go from playoff spot to missing in the worst way. Without that offense and shooting %, we would most likely hover around the 9,10,11 spot all year and finish exactly in that spot. No collapse, just a .500 team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The reason we collapse is because of our high powered offense. By that I mean it goes through periods of unreal shooting % that propel us up in the standings for a limited time before it crashes. Without it we have no business being that high. That's why we go from playoff spot to missing in the worst way. Without that offense and shooting %, we would most likely hover around the 9,10,11 spot all year and finish exactly in that spot. No collapse, just a .500 team.

Leafs are a bottom 5 team if you believe in the Corsi/Fenwick analysis.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs previous GM admitted he was in the entertainment business and him and Nonis saw no value in advanced stats as they apply to building the Leafs or how they apply.

So Leafs Nation is faced with watching our Leafs for entertainment purposes only until Shanny can rebuild them using advanced stats to make them a winning team first and focus on entertainment secondary.

Leafs are bottom 5 in shots against and Corsi/Fenwick which means we have to be entertained by Leafs going out and outscoring their defensive breakdowns and mistakes. Some nights they not only have to beat the opposition but themselves as well. Puck management is not a strong point.

If Bernier doesn't save them tonight this game has the makings of typical last goal wins feel to it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

They really are bottom of the league for effort and consistency. It's especially noticeable watching other teams play, outside of a few rare games, both teams are typically playing with substantially more intensity than the Leafs for large stretches of the game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs previous GM admitted he was in the entertainment business and him and Nonis saw no value in advanced stats as they apply to building the Leafs or how they apply.

So Leafs Nation is faced with watching our Leafs for entertainment purposes only until Shanny can rebuild them using advanced stats to make them a winning team first and focus on entertainment secondary.

Leafs are bottom 5 in shots against and Corsi/Fenwick which means we have to be entertained by Leafs going out and outscoring their defensive breakdowns and mistakes. Some nights they not only have to beat the opposition but themselves as well. Puck management is not a strong point.

If Bernier doesn't save them tonight this game has the makings of typical last goal wins feel to it.

I enjoy a good soccer game, and appreciate control of the ball, build ups and retreats without meaningless shots that are just turnovers. I realize there are many people who find it boring, so I can accept Burke interpreting the Leafs audience as including those who would not appreciate a Burns or Lemaire type of game.

I enjoyed watching the Lemaire take an expansion team and teach it how to play defense. It was sweet watching him take out the Canucks in 2003, ahh, I digress.

Hey, it is just entertainment, and I have no expectations for this current core/team to ever accomplish anything, so it's easy to watch. I don't particularly like many of the characters on the team, but I'll just wait them out, and in time they'll all be moved or retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad