Friedman: Leafs continuing to "survey" RHD options

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
4. Toronto will continue to survey right-handed defensive options, but are likely looking at a dollar-in, dollar-out scenario. While they do have room below the ceiling, they want to protect against potential Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews bonus money leaking into next year’s cap figure. (They need to save approximately $3.75 million.) Muzzin was attractive because a) he’s having a great season, and b) he didn’t cost anything from the NHL roster. That was not going to be the case for Brett Pesce or Alex Pietrangelo. It is believed St. Louis’s ask included William Nylander, which was rejected. GM Kyle Dubas wants to give this group a run.

31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Economist

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The dollar-in, dollar-out thing makes me think Connor Brown might be a piece TOR looks to use to get a d-man around a similar tag.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that, and then Zaitsev attempted to be moved as well.

With 4ish weeks left to go, it's easier said than done however

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

wow Leafs value Nylander over Pietrangelo.

tenor.gif

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The dollar-in, dollar-out thing makes me think Connor Brown might be a piece TOR looks to use to get a d-man around a similar tag.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that, and then Zaitsev attempted to be moved as well.

Brown for Gudas/Pysyk types is the highest calibre the Leafs can afford without dealing Sandin/Liljegren

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

I've always said Dubas should send Zaitsev+assets to Philadelphia for Gudas. Philadelphia has cap room for a lot of years down the road with no major paydays coming up imminently.

How much should it cost to dump Zaitsev + get Gudas in the same deal is the real question.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

4 weeks is A LOT of time

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I've always said Dubas should send Zaitsev+assets to Philadelphia for Gudas. Philadelphia has cap room for a lot of years down the road with no major paydays coming up imminently.

How much should it cost to dump Zaitsev + get Gudas in the same deal is the real question.

Flyers don't need Zaitsev. they could use another top 4 D, but Zaitsev isn't that guy. i'd rather have Gudas, and i'm not a big Gudas fan.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Flyers don't need Zaitsev. they could use another top 4 D, but Zaitsev isn't that guy. i'd rather have Gudas, and i'm not a big Gudas fan.

I know they don't need Zaitsev. It is basically a cap dump.

I would imagine the leafs would pay quite a few futures to dump Zaitsev + get Gudas in the same deal.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I know they don't need Zaitsev. It is basically a cap dump.

I would imagine the leafs would pay quite a few futures to dump Zaitsev + get Gudas in the same deal.

if there's anything the Flyers don't need, it's more futures. they have more prospects than they know what to do with. Fletcher will be looking to make moves that help the team now. this doesn't do that.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
if there's anything the Flyers don't need, it's more futures. they have more prospects than they know what to do with. Fletcher will be looking to make moves that help the team now. this doesn't do that.

The picks received by selling Gudas + eating Zaitsev contract would certainly be useful to buy an established top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad