The Sun: Leafs coach lightens up, opens his door

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/30/leafs-coach-lightens-up-opens-his-door

At the end of Maple Leafs practice on Wednesday, coach Randy Carlyle took a verbal jab at Nazem Kadri.

It was a playful poke, with Carlyle reminding the Leafs’ top scorer that he nailed a post before Kadri did during a friendly drill that finished the workout at the MasterCard Centre.

“I told him he didn’t have to be embarrassed that the coach hit it before he did,†Carlyle said with a smile.

The back-and-forth illustrated the coach the Leafs have come to know since he took over from the fired Ron Wilson last March. Carlyle is a stern taskmaster, but he’s not an insufferable tyrant and he knows when to let up with the players.

Above all else, he has an open-door policy that many have used to their advantage.

With such a young team — at an average of 27.1 years, the Leafs are older than just the Columbus Blue Jackets, who come in at 26.9 years — it’s paramount that Carlyle, and the assistant coaches, be accessible. While veteran players might have a better handle on where they stand without being told, it’s different for the youngsters, who don’t have experience to draw on.

“They have to have the opportunity to voice their opinion,†Carlyle said. “But they have to be prepared to hear some things that, if we feel the way we feel, it’s not always a one-way street.

“There are some players that, when you come in and shake their hand, they (have) sweating palms. So, there is that intimidation factor. We try to eliminate that. They have to feel free that they can come in and tell me or any member of our coachin staff how they feel.â€

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Regardless of how the next couple of seasons go, I have always been a huge fan of Carlyle and hope he stays with the leafs for a long period of time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good read. Kadri's comment at the end says it all.

“That is something I have not seen in the past couple of years here,†Kadri said. “Not only joking around — any sort of communication. For him to be loose with the guys and be that players’ coach everyone wants to be around, makes everyone want to work that much harder for him.â€

What ^^ is referring to if anyone can't read the link

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Several players on a number of occasions have implied that there was very little, if any, communication between Ron Wilson and the players.

I'm a bit confused as to how you can coach a team, period, without communicating with your players, never mind for 4 seasons.

rj24

Aug 24, 2008
Welland, Ontario
“That is something I have not seen in the past couple of years here,†Kadri said. “Not only joking around — any sort of communication. For him to be loose with the guys and be that players’ coach everyone wants to be around, makes everyone want to work that much harder for him.â€

What ^^ is referring to if anyone can't read the link

I'm assuming he's referring to Wilson. It was known that he didn't have much communication with the players.

DaveT83*

Wilson - Extension still one of the most confusing things I have ever witnessed.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
For me the most confusing thing was how long it took to fire him. Guess thats one of the good reasons why burke is gone, hopefully now decisions won't be influenced by emotions.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Wilson - Extension still one of the most confusing things I have ever witnessed.

well bell /rogers didnt undeerstand it either obviously ,,,,,u get fired in the real world for not producing and squandring money

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Well I was a big advocate of Wilson as I thought he really could've done something but that's just sad to hear. If he didn't communicate with his players that's just wrong, glad carlyle is on a different zone though. He's also known to be strong and hard on his players as well so I hope they are able to take it in the future.

Maybe Perry likes him too :naughty:

MajorityRules*

Good article. It's too bad there weren't more of these types of articles to read on a regular basis.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm a bit confused as to how you can coach a team, period, without communicating with your players, never mind for 4 seasons.

I'm not defending it, but it might be a common thing. A friend of mine once asked Kirk Maltby what Scotty Bowman was like, he said "I don't know, I've never talked to him. You don't want to talk to him. If he talks to you, that's bad."

leafspring*

Well I was a big advocate of Wilson as I thought he really could've done something but that's just sad to hear. If he didn't communicate with his players that's just wrong, glad carlyle is on a different zone though. He's also known to be strong and hard on his players as well so I hope they are able to take it in the future.

Maybe Perry likes him too :naughty:

Wilson was a idiot,and Don Cherry called it right away. Cherry also took exception to two Americans running the leafs,and ignoring OHL players among other things.I think Cherry knew insider stuff from talking to all the players,that it was stinky with Burke/Wilson running it.

Cherry tuned Burke! Burke trying to have him fired "back fired".lol.

Wilson was a arrogant,disliked, backstabber apparently we now know.

Morlesio14*

Sometimes I'd like mabye a different first PP unit from Carlyle. And not play Kostka all the time. He's too focused on playing a righty with a lefty. Otherwise he's great for a young team like us.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Wilson was a idiot,and Don Cherry called it right away. Cherry also took exception to two Americans running the leafs,and ignoring OHL players among other things.I think Cherry knew insider stuff from talking to all the players,that it was stinky with Burke/Wilson running it.

You do know that Wilson is a dual citizen and born in Canada?

Also, that Burke drafted more players from OHL in the first round then any other GM in his tenure as GM before the 2012 draft?

I'm sure Cherry was on to something in regards to Wilson, but he also stated that Burke's downfall was being loyal to Wilson.

We all know his rant against Burke not having any Ontario kids, but could it have been Wilson holding them back?

I think there are now 4 Ontario guys on the team, all brougt in by Burke.

leafspring*

You do know that Wilson is a dual citizen and born in Canada?

Also, that Burke drafted more players from OHL in the first round then any other GM in his tenure as GM before the 2012 draft?

I'm sure Cherry was on to something in regards to Wilson, but he also stated that Burke's downfall was being loyal to Wilson.

We all know his rant against Burke not having any Ontario kids, but could it have been Wilson holding them back?

I think there are now 4 Ontario guys on the team, all brougt in by Burke.

Wilson is as American as you can get,who happens to hold Dual Citizenship. Everything in international context is USA. Born here,thats it.

Burke drafted more after Cherry called him on it too i know.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Well whatever the case was, it's done and over. We got a new chapter, however Burke's work will start showing sooner than later.
Sometimes I'd like mabye a different first PP unit from Carlyle. And not play Kostka all the time. He's too focused on playing a righty with a lefty. Otherwise he's great for a young team like us.
I think towards the end, He started putting Liles with Phaneuf, which made me scream of joy.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Wilson is as American as you can get,who happens to hold Dual Citizenship. Everything in international context is USA. Born here,thats it.

Burke drafted more after Cherry called him on it too i know.
Don't be ridiculous. He was born in Canada ffs

Burke drafted more after Cherry critisized him? Ok first off, thats extremely xenophobic what Cherry said and first he said"more Canadians!"then it was more Ontarianoians!!!111 You really don't know. Look at Burke's draft history, it stayed virtually the same throughout the years, few Canadians,few Americans and some Europeans peppered in.

leafspring*

Well whatever the case was, it's done and over. We got a new chapter, however Burke's work will start showing sooner than later.

I think towards the end, He started putting Liles with Phaneuf, which made me scream of joy.

Burke/Nonis layed a solid foundation,and he left a very managable cap too. Nonis's baby now. I wonder what Burke's job description is now lol. He was grumbling about he thought he was advising hockey operations,but apparently that changed,and he advises the Board now lol.

It would be interesting to know.I think he is just collecting a pay-checque,and does nothing. Is he even around would be a good question to get answered.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Burke/Nonis layed a solid foundation,and he left a very managable cap too. Nonis's baby now. I wonder what Burke's job description is now lol. He was grumbling about he thought he was advising hockey operations,but apparently that changed,and he advises the Board now lol.

It would be interesting to know.I think he is just collecting a pay-checque,and does nothing. Is he even around would be a good question to get answered.
From what I remember he's on the hunt for a new gig, as he doesn't have any say on the hockey operation which he requested to be in. Damn anselmi.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think this team is quite ready for the playoffs but I really hope we have Carlyle for years to come. He's a good coach that has definitely earned the respect of all his players.

Last year Franson was clearly upset at being scratched but I guess Ron Wilson never even told him why he was getting scratched when Komisarek and Schenn were total pylons.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Several players on a number of occasions have implied that there was very little, if any, communication between Ron Wilson and the players.

Let alone go through a handful of segments like the Leafs did where they did have small glimmers of success.

It's hard to get some coaches like Ron Wilson and Ken Hitchcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad