Claimed off Waivers: Leafs claim McElhinney from Blue Jackets

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I don't know if he's an upgrade on Enroth but Andersen can't play every single game so we need someone Babcock will actually play.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Surprised he got picked up, as I didn't see him as an upgrade even on the worst situations. Sometimes (Carlin reverse paraphrase) someone else's stuff is better than your stuff.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One point I think makes sense is McElhinney is 6'3. Babcock likes his big goalies and Enroth wasn't cutting it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Surprised he got picked up, as I didn't see him as an upgrade even on the worst situations. Sometimes (Carlin reverse paraphrase) someone else's stuff is better than your stuff.

Babcock likes big goalies.

Enroth sucked and was tiny. At least Mc is big, which Babs will like.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
This allows Bibeau to stay with the Marlies and stop yo-yoing. Gives him more games than staying up as a backup TOO. This hopefully gives us a serviceable backup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bibeau jump him and become starter if injury to Andersen happens though.

Besides cutting travel costs... one of the main reasons that management relocated the farm team back to Toronto was less disruption when needing to call up a player!

Bibeau is playing at Ricoh or sitting at ACC for the same pay... and depending on which neighbourhood Bibeau lives in ... it's an extra 3.5 km drive at most!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Babcock likes big goalies.

Enroth sucked and was tiny. At least Mc is big, which Babs will like.

Cool, and I wish him luck. I don't think CMac out and out sucks, I just didn't feel like anyone would see him as an upgrade. Don't question Babcock's judgement, either. Leafs makes sense.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
Besides cutting travel costs... one of the main reasons that management relocated the farm team back to Toronto was less disruption when needing to call up a player!

Bibeau is playing at Ricoh or sitting at ACC for the same pay... and depending on which neighbourhood Bibeau lives in ... it's an extra 3.5 km drive at most!
I believe he like most AHL players are on 2 way deals so he will make 1/10th in the AHL per game compared to the NHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/antoine-bibeau

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
For all these people complaining about this move, who'd you suggest as a better alternative that would've only cost us a roster spot? Bibeau has 2 games to his career, and is better off getting consistent games down in the AHL.

And the Leafs stash him away to never be seen or heard from again. The sad story of Leaf waiver claims continues.

Feel bad for Entoth, who is better.

Enroth has been a dumpster fire this year, watch the games. lmao what story are you talking about? Corrado? The only time that's happened? Pfft, apparently the Leafs are the only team that carries 7 D.. :laugh:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
BS. Leafs were putting him in situations to fail.

How?

He had two starts at the beginning of the year against Minnesota and NYI, he didn't play well. Then he came off the bench against Vancouver to play 5 minutes after Andersen got tossed and against LA when we were down, didn't play well against LA but the whole team wasn't. Andersen got on a roll then he started New Jersey and Calgary, didn't play well. It's not like we've been putting him in against offensive juggernauts and leaving our defense at home.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

lol very valid point. I have no idea if yo-yoing even an issue with them so close now....

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I mean the guy makes $800,000 per year to ride the pine. Why would you give up the dream and give up $800,000 per year to work at possibly best job in the world?

Oh of course, its a no brainer, there's just something funny about him still finding employment.

Actually, Michael Leighton is the revenge of Michael Leighton. He's the current backup of the Carolina Hurricanes. :nod:

842f6fc8db8b35162409154c17d047f7.gif

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Curtis doesn't have many "meh" nights. He's either lights out or just bad.

Good guy though, I wish him luck and I'm glad he's still in the league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
:laugh:
Our goalie depth is the worst in the league. We have Andersen and thats pretty much it.

We have a lot of depth, Andersen, McElhinney, Bibeau, Sparks, Enroth, Kaskisuo, all on contract, plus Woll, Ramo (PTO), Glass just left on PTO, Massa is under our tutelage in Orlando...

It's just really poor quality of depth... :shakehead :laugh:

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Babcock didn't trust to start with Bibeau against Montreal after back to back. And Andersen have slowed signs of fatigue, so it's important that they have veteran back-up.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Yesterday I said he would clear waivers. A Toronto poster said the Leafs would claim him even though he didn't want them to. McElhinney seems to have nine lives. Very happy for Curtis. Was selfishly hoping he would stay as a mentor for Korpi. Good luck in Toronto.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
RIP McElhinney's NHL career. Actually surprised to see how many career backups have been employed by TO the past few years. Enroth, Scrivens, Clemmensen, Monster.

It really doesn't look too good if McElhinney wants to extend his stay in the NHL much longer, though Monster lasted a couple years after leaving TO, for whatever reason.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
RIP McElhinney's NHL career. Actually surprised to see how many career backups have been employed by TO the past few years. Enroth, Scrivens, Clemmensen, Monster.

It really doesn't look too good if McElhinney wants to extend his stay in the NHL much longer, though Monster lasted a couple years after leaving TO, for whatever reason.

Teams go through plenty of backups. It's nothing new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad