Proposal: Leafs - Canucks

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Whatever his warts, Bertuzzi's contract is done after this season. Kuzmenko has another year left (and of course, to get out from under that extra year is the whole point of this proposal for the Canucks).

The Leafs are taking a hit of $46.653M against the cap for four forwards next season. I really don't see them adding a big salary for a middle-six forward. They will be pinching pennies to flesh out that roster for that one year before two of the four contracts are up.

Last edited:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why would he say no?
He wants to win a cup and build value to sign a new contract in the summer.

Vancouver currently gives him a better chance to win a cup and a change of scenery certainly won’t hurt for his next contract as things haven’t been great for him in Toronto.

I can see reasons why both the Leafs and the Canucks would say no here. I don’t see any reason why Bertuzzi would block a trade.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I can see reasons why both the Leafs and the Canucks would say no here. I don’t see any reason why Bertuzzi would block a trade.
because he plays for the loveliest fan base in hockey. :dunno:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why would he say no?
He wants to win a cup and build value to sign a new contract in the summer.

Vancouver currently gives him a better chance to win a cup and a change of scenery certainly won’t hurt for his next contract as things haven’t been great for him in Toronto.

Vancouver has done nothing this year that Toronto hasn’t done to claim they have a better chance at winning a cup.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Vancouver has done nothing this year that Toronto hasn’t done to claim they have a better chance at winning a cup.
Vancouver addressed goaltending and defense as a weakness and has taken steps to improve said weaknesses. Swapping OEL and Rathbone for Soucy, Cole, Friedman and Zadorov, Hronek and Demko being healthy, and adding Desmith as a back up. Toronto brought in Benoit, Lagesson and no new goalie.

Even in terms of fowards, Domi has 23 points and Bertuzzi (who we don't want and don't have time or room to coddle him until he figures it out) has 19, versus three bottom six centers (another weakness) in Blueger with 18 points, Suter with 12, Lafferty (from the Leafs, no less) with 19. I know I'm comparing points, but I'd argue the three Canucks are better fits for our defensive bottom six system on top of that, and combined our forward additions make significantly less than Bert and Domi. Vancouver did lose Pearson and Beauvillier as well, but their contributions were replaced internally with Joshua, Hoglander, Aman and even DiGiuseppe improving.

Vancouver improved leaps and bounds ahead of what Toronto did, who largely stood pat.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Whatever his warts, Bertuzzi's contract is done after this season. Kuzmenko has another year left (and of course, to get out from under that extra year is the whole point of this proposal for the Canucks).
I don’t think that’s the priority for the Canucks. They should have zero issue dumping Kuzmenko this offseason if that’s their goal.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
They lead their division. Something Toronto has never done except in the COVID Canadian Division.
Are comparing this year or years past that Vancouver has lead?

If you’re talking this year, well the year isn’t over yet. I’m also pretty sure Toronto has lead their division at some point the last few years in a small sample size.

Like I said. Vancouver has done nothing or proven nothing recently to say they have a better chance to win a cup than Toronto does.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are comparing this year or years past that Vancouver has lead?

If you’re talking this year, well the year isn’t over yet. I’m also pretty sure Toronto has lead their division at some point the last few years in a small sample size.

Like I said. Vancouver has done nothing or proven nothing recently to say they have a better chance to win a cup than Toronto does.
Sure. Then no doubt you can point me to a time where Toronto led their division at the half way point of the season, excluding the Canadian Division.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Sure. Then no doubt you can point me to a time where Toronto led their division at the half way point of the season, excluding the Canadian Division.
But why are you excluding the Canadian division? They’re both small sample sizes. And it’s not like Toronto was playing AHL teams. You can go ahead and base it off of this years rankings all you want. Toronto has played in a much tougher conference years past.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Vancouver addressed goaltending and defense as a weakness and has taken steps to improve said weaknesses. Swapping OEL and Rathbone for Soucy, Cole, Friedman and Zadorov, Hronek and Demko being healthy, and adding Desmith as a back up. Toronto brought in Benoit, Lagesson and no new goalie.

Even in terms of fowards, Domi has 23 points and Bertuzzi (who we don't want and don't have time or room to coddle him until he figures it out) has 19, versus three bottom six centers (another weakness) in Blueger with 18 points, Suter with 12, Lafferty (from the Leafs, no less) with 19. I know I'm comparing points, but I'd argue the three Canucks are better fits for our defensive bottom six system on top of that, and combined our forward additions make significantly less than Bert and Domi. Vancouver did lose Pearson and Beauvillier as well, but their contributions were replaced internally with Joshua, Hoglander, Aman and even DiGiuseppe improving.

Vancouver improved leaps and bounds ahead of what Toronto did, who largely stood pat.
Toronto standing pat would have been great. They had 111 points last year, were a top 10 defensive team and finished 4th in the league.
They let a bunch of strong defensive players walk and replaced them with poor defensive ones. Hoping to address secondary scoring and team toughness. Well the secondary scoring still sucks and judging by the fact no one did a thing when their best player took a vicious cross check to the back a couple games ago they didn’t do much to address the team toughness either.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But why are you excluding the Canadian division? They’re both small sample sizes. And it’s not like Toronto was playing AHL teams. You can go ahead and base it off of this years rankings all you want. Toronto has played in a much tougher conference years past.
Of course I’m basing it on this years rankings.
Over half a season is not a small sample size despite your best efforts to spin it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoldrums

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don’t think that’s the priority for the Canucks. They should have zero issue dumping Kuzmenko this offseason if that’s their goal.
Oh, that is perfectly plausible. He's had a good season.

Yet the OP's proposal (which sees two offensive players with exactly the same cap hit being offered in a clean swap, with one carrying an extra year and the other about to be a UFA) is clearly all about getting out from under that extra year.

That's not to say it's the preference of the Canucks' brass. It IS to say that it's the clear preference of the OP, who proposed the deal in the first place. A Bertuzzi-for-Kuzmenko proposal is all about shunting the 2024-25 salary cap commitment from one team to the other. I tend to think that Canucks management wouldn't mind keeping him, but Tocchet seems to fall in and out of love with him. Makes sense to move him as a result.

The proposal may or may not be favorable to the Canucks. It's well nigh impossible for the Leafs, whose offseason cap dance figures to be difficult enough without having to account for that extra $5.5M at forward.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Bertuzzi seems like a player Tocchet would prefer over Kuzmenko. Bertuzzi also has some past history playing with Suter. Kuzmenko might find some chemistry with Tavares and get him going. Same cap hit but yeah the Leafs have to take on the extra year. Or they could deal Kuzmenko in the offseason if he doesn't fit in.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Bertuzzi has been terrible so far this year but he still has the same amount of points as Kuzmenko who’s also got another year on his contract after this plus I would still rather have Bert for playoff hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad