Sportsnet: Leafs build quietly over low-key summer

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
If we can agree that a contract for Bolland for around $5M and 5 years is a bad contract, the issue is whether and how close the Leafs came to offering said contract. If the Leafs purposely stayed away from these terms, then that's encouraging and stepping away from their previous pattern. If however, it was offered and Bolland rejected it for an even better (worse depending on pov) contract, then not much has changed and the Leafs were just lucky to not repeat Clarkson or Phaneuf part deux. One should be encouraged by the contract deals that have been actually entered into under Shanahan to date including the latest Gardiner deal.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
i wouldn't go that far. i mean he probably thought, "if clarkson can get that type of money, then so can I".

with having said that, who would you guys rather have, clarkson at 5.25M or bolland at 5.5M?

Clarkson. Just for the pure fact that he can stay on the ice. Bolland is injury prone, whether last year's injury was accidental or not it happened to him not anyone else. He just can't seem to stay on the ice and although Clarkson was a gong show last year I rather at least have someone on the ice then just in a suit watching from the press box. I'll add this as well...I think Clarkson is going to have a monster year this year. I think he got so overwhelmed with being back home and playing for the Leafs and with the "Wendal Clark" talk it put wayyyy too much pressure on him add in the stupid suspension it all snowballed..I think he comes in re-focused and plays like he did in NJ. He doesn't have to be fancy just play hard, go to the net and bang in a few pucks. We can't expect him to score 30 goals like he did in his contract year.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
We were going to pay him under 5. and he took 5.5 in a place with low taxes. Even if taxes didn't affect the deal we are talking about 2.5-4 mil on the contract. That is not a chump change for most people. Add the lower taxes in the state of Florida and it's quite a bit of cash

Let's face it, we know how things work in his city. For every move you make, you will get bashed on either side of the fence. Would have to think the Leafs had a good idea Bolland would get over 5 million per, if he went to UFA, so probably offered him something reasonable for PR, knowing full well he was going to leave for more dosh.

Jacques Trap*

I know he's older now, but I have a hard time taking anything Gord Stellick says seriously after he traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic. Sure he was young, put into a tough position by Ballard, but still. He could have gone down the hall and asked a janitor for a second opinion and saved himself some trouble.

When that trade happened I was like 8-9 years old and even I knew it was a horrible deal

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
if the Leafs signed Bolland we would never hear the end of it. sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. :nod:

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
i think after the clarkson incident they're staying away from big contracts

this is certainly low k3y

Can everyone get off Clarkson's back. Yes he had a forgettable season but was because of unforeseen circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad