Sportsnet: Leafs build quietly over low-key summer

Tyler Biggs*

The combined salaries this season for David Booth ($1.1M), Mike Santorelli ($1.5M), Daniel Winnick ($1.3M) and Konitola ($1.1M) come in at a total of $5 million—or a half-million less per season than the going rate for David Bolland when he left the Leafs for the Florida Panthers.

Bolland played 15 real games for us last season, and if we payed him $5.5M for 5 years, that would suffocate remaining cap space. Instead, we used his money to sign Kontiola, Santorelli, Booth, and Winnik. Thats solid depth, and Bolland would be a 3C on our team anyways. Smart move Shanahan/Nonis. THATS how you put a team that will compete on the ice...by creating..you know..COMPETITION!! GLG

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Bolland played 15 real games for us last season, and if we payed him $5.5M for 5 years, that would suffocate remaining cap space. Instead, we used his money to sign Kontiola, Santorelli, Booth, and Winnik. Thats solid depth, and Bolland would be a 3C on our team anyways. Smart move Shanahan/Nonis. THATS how you put a team that will compete on the ice...by creating..you know..COMPETITION!! GLG

The thing is that they were prepared to sign Bolland to close to that. He just chose the richer offer from the Panthers. Doesn't really inspire much faith.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
The thing is that they were prepared to sign Bolland to close to that. He just chose the richer offer from the Panthers. Doesn't really inspire much faith.

We were going to pay him under 5. and he took 5.5 in a place with low taxes. Even if taxes didn't affect the deal we are talking about 2.5-4 mil on the contract. That is not a chump change for most people. Add the lower taxes in the state of Florida and it's quite a bit of cash

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I know he's older now, but I have a hard time taking anything Gord Stellick says seriously after he traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic. Sure he was young, put into a tough position by Ballard, but still. He could have gone down the hall and asked a janitor for a second opinion and saved himself some trouble.

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
Wha?!?!?!

Very surprised to see an article that inspires hope the blue and white with limited "singings" and no huge splashes.

The Hockey News needs to take notes from Sportsnet.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
We were going to pay him under 5. and he took 5.5 in a place with low taxes. Even if taxes didn't affect the deal we are talking about 2.5-4 mil on the contract. That is not a chump change for most people. Add the lower taxes in the state of Florida and it's quite a bit of cash

The percentage change increases but the actual dollar amount decreases when taxes are a factor.

TheThrill81*

It is more accurate to say the Leafs rejected Bollands demands, and he went to where the money is.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
It is more accurate to say the Leafs rejected Bollands demands, and he went to where the money is.

It is even more accurate to state that Dave Bolland didn't deserve any where near what he is earning let alone what he was asking from Toronto. He played the I want to remain in Toronto card and that this is where he wants to play, but it was evident that was all smoke and screens to try and force the leafs hand into paying him what he wanted.

Good on Nonis and Shanny for standing their ground, This is the kind of signing we would have made and the kind of money we would have shelled out in the past. So glad this is a move that didn't happen.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Made a lot of solid small signings. Which is really what you should do when it comes to those bottom 6 positions. Find cost effective guys.
Well I wouldn't say it's more accurate, just a convenient interpretation of events.

TheThrill81*

Made a lot of solid small signings. Which is really what you should do when it comes to those bottom 6 positions. Find cost effective guys.

Well I wouldn't say it's more accurate, just a convenient interpretation of events.

No, it's not. Bolland said himself he went to where the money is. The Leafs rejected his demands. Look it up. A convenient interpretation is saying Bolland rejected the Leafs, which is laughable.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Exactly.

Hopefully these budget signings change the mindset of this management group going forward.

HOCKEYGOON

Feb 27, 2002
The Penalty Box
Visit site
Bolland's a good hockey player but I bet we end up getting similar production from someone like Santoreilli at a much cheaper rate.

If we crap the bed this year we have also gained a lot of trade deadline fodder to turn into draft picks.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Where is this notion that we offered Bolland 5m long-term coming from? Because I keep reading it... I'd believe we offered Bolland 5 mill/1-2 years as it's a low risk signing, but I haven't seen anything to support this or the 5 mill long term deal that seems to keep popping up on these boards...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nonis dodged a bullet, that bullet being Bollands greed. If he signs Bolland to that deal and he's injured as per usual, combined with the disasterous Clarkson deal and you've got a GM who's a lame duck. It still baffles me that Nonis even considered signing Bolland knowing he was going to ask for those years and at that cap hit. It's insanity. Thankfully there's a GM in Miami who's even more out to lunch than him.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
i think after the clarkson incident they're staying away from big contracts

this is certainly low k3y

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I know he's older now, but I have a hard time taking anything Gord Stellick says seriously after he traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic. Sure he was young, put into a tough position by Ballard, but still. He could have gone down the hall and asked a janitor for a second opinion and saved himself some trouble.

I thought it was a Ballard order, to get someone cheaper.

TheThrill81*

Where is this notion that we offered Bolland 5m long-term coming from? Because I keep reading it... I'd believe we offered Bolland 5 mill/1-2 years as it's a low risk signing, but I haven't seen anything to support this or the 5 mill long term deal that seems to keep popping up on these boards...

It's pure conjecture, repeated enough times by some people on here to convince themselves it's true. Same old song and dance.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i wouldn't go that far. i mean he probably thought, "if clarkson can get that type of money, then so can I".

with having said that, who would you guys rather have, clarkson at 5.25M or bolland at 5.5M?

as bad as clarkson played at least he is generally healthy. bolland routinely finds himself injured on a yearly basis.

both are grossly overpaid but just because nonis made a mistake with clarkson doesnt mean he should do it again with bolland.

as for the leaf signings this summer i think it is hard to be upset with them. the only think that i find confusing is the amount of players they signed.

i wonder if they will send holland and ashton down to the marlies and just hope that neither gets claimed on waivers. the truth is most teams have comparable players so its not impossible that both clear.

komorov-kontiola-winnik
frattin-santorelli-bodie

the above players are probably more suited for a bottom 6 roll then holland and ashton who i think should be top 6 players. the problem is they arent upgrades on our current top 6.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/530612

"I think the Leafs are going to go back at it one more time this morning," said TSN's Bob McKenzie during an appearance on the Team 1040 sports talk radio station in Vancouver on Tuesday morning. "They're prepared to give Bolland a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $5 million per year..."

Florida gave him .5 more and Florida has more cap space.

.5 + lower taxes

It was about money as neither team is considered a model franchise.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I thought it was a Ballard order, to get someone cheaper.

Stellick had a coach in John Brophy who was not playing Courtnall and wanted more toughness. At that time John Kordic was either the #1 or #2 HW in the game.
Still a bad trade but it came with the coaches blessings I am sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad