Leaf's best defenseman so far?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Phaneuf had a slow start, played well, and now completely fell off since December started. Rielly's been decent. Franson played well for a couple of months but now has reverted back to GA/G Franson from last year. Gardiner has been disappointing, and Holzer, Robidas, Polak? All meh. Polak stands out because of his warrior mentality, but not by too much.

Honestly, I don't know. A better title probably should be who has sucked the least. I'd have to say Franson, I guess.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Went with Franson. This thread is between two defencemen. Just haven't like Phaneuf's game a lot this season.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hahahah Franson?! You guys nuts?

Im sure your all over to give him 5x5 too eh. No, this guy needs to be traded asap.

Went with the no-brainer. Rielly.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You learn a lot about players on your team when you go through one of these awful stretches.

Roman Polak, for example, is one of the only players that has worked his ass off. Hasn't taken a night off, despite the doom and gloom and negativity.

Rielly also deserved of a vote. That's about it.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Rielly looks the best coming into the break (assuming thats what the question asks?)

over the course of the season I feel Franson has been the strongest

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Rielly has been the best under Horachek.

Phaneuf/Franson were good for a while, but have struggled significantly over the past ~20 games.

Polak has probably been the steadiest overall. Phaneuf/Franson at their best have been better than Polak at his best, but they've also had pretty low lows.

Based off of that, I have no clue who to vote for lol.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Phaneuf had a slow start, played well, and now completely fell off since December started. Rielly's been decent. Franson played well for a couple of months but now has reverted back to GA/G Franson from last year. Gardiner has been disappointing, and Holzer, Robidas, Polak? All meh. Polak stands out because of his warrior mentality, but not by too much.

Honestly, I don't know. A better title probably should be who has sucked the least. I'd have to say Franson, I guess.

Yeah, Franson hasn't been good defensively the last couple of weeks but he has been good overall, followed by Rielly and Phaneuf. Here is their GA ON/60 and GF ON/60

Player|GF ON/60|GA ON/60|+- ON/60
Stephane Robidas|2.54|1.48|1.06
Cody Franson|3.47|3.56|-0.08
Morgan Rielly|2.48|2.54|-0.08
Korbinian Holzer|3.11|3.32|-0.21
Dion Phaneuf|3.03|3.26|-0.23
Roman Polak|2.07|3.15|-1.08
Jake Gardiner|1.70|2.84|-1.14

Franson has been good offesively, having to provide the most offense from our back-end but Rielly's been pretty good at not allowing any more than 2.6 GA/60. Gardiner has been the most disappointing, IMO and Polak/Phaneuf has been decent.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Rielly. And under Horachek he's getting top pairing minutes, so his play will only improve and excel going forward.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Hahahah Franson?! You guys nuts?

Im sure your all over to give him 5x5 too eh. No, this guy needs to be traded asap.

Went with the no-brainer. Rielly.

This is hilarious. We are discussing which player has played the best this year. Why did you bring up anything about term or him needed to be traded? It's moot.

But a player that can ask for 5x5 sounds like a good player, eh?

But laughing at your choice of Rielly. :shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anybody got a coin or should I use eni meni mini mo?

No one has really stood out or been consistent enough that this is an easy call.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as Borje Salmming and Tomas Kaberle are not on this list, I do not know who to vote for. (shrug)

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Over the season I would say Polak has been the most consistent defensively. Reilly has really turned his game around for the better of late however and I expect that he will be the guy we lean on hardest if Phaneuf is dealt.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Pretty sad if people think the best dman this season is either Rielly or Franson. It's still Phaneuf even though he's garbage. Don't be fooled, Rielly hasn't done jack **** so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad