Friedman: Leafs, Bertuzzi already thinking about extension?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He can't sign until Jan 1st regardless so we are going to know.

I expect Bertuzzi Matthews Marner to perform very well.
So will Bertuzzi. His ask in Detroit was rumored to be around 7+ x 7. If he is well north of his traditional stat line playing a big role, I expect the contract demands should be pretty high and long. He also very much is a march to his own drum don’t care what anyone else thinks guy, so being bullied into less seems unlikely.

I think he will be a big fit when healthy but I wouldn’t give him term. Really nothing to do with the player, Bert plays the game beyond the limits of his body. He has missed significant chunks of time dating back to junior in 6 years. His biggest fans will continue to tell you he is unlucky, I hope for Bert that is true. However, to me the amount of times tells me I shouldn’t count on it. Term beyond 3-4 years isn’t something I would give Bert.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
His expectations are to be a better linemate for Matthews than Bunting + Hyman and be a top 6 player.

I think non-Leafs fans have higher expectations for Bertuzzi than Leafs fans do lol

If he's not in and out constantly due to injury he should do better then Bunting. But Hyman, idk he was a pretty solid player for us.

I set the bar somewhere between them and remember Hyman did more for us then his point total indicates

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Player 1: plays well at centre, takes over 1000 faceoffs at centre, gets traded to team where he can also be utilized at wing because he’s also good at that, so plays wing.

Player 2: plays centre. Not a very good centre but can fill in as needed. Is usually at his best as a winger.

Bad example, bad post. This from someone who isn’t expecting much out of Domi. There’s just only so many minutes to go around.
Interesting. So you are saying that Max Domi is a good center or plays it well?

1693584521361.png

One of the biggest qualifiers for someone to be called a "good center" is the face offs. I went ahead and highlighted that for you. He is not good at the face off dot.

Domi is a winger. He is not a center. Can he play center if injuries occur or he is on a terrible team (ex. chicago/arizona/montreal), absolutely he can! Almost every single player on the roster can do that in the same scenario. But that doesn't make you a center and that is/should not be his position.

It's like saying datsyuk, zetterberg, helm, AND glendening are injured so we have to put johan franzen playing as the center. Sure, he can play the position because he has to, but he isn't a center.

Attachments

• 1693584473802.png
    1693584473802.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: dukeofjive

The90

Feb 27, 2017

View attachment 740287

One of the biggest qualifiers for someone to be called a "good center" is the face offs. I went ahead and highlighted that for you. He is not good at the face off dot.

Domi is a winger. He is not a center. Can he play center if injuries occur or he is on a terrible team (ex. chicago/arizona/montreal), absolutely he can! Almost every single player on the roster can do that in the same scenario. But that doesn't make you a center and that is/should not be his position.

It's like saying datsyuk, zetterberg, helm, AND glendening are injured so we have to put johan franzen playing as the center. Sure, he can play the position because he has to, but he isn't a center.
I didn’t read your novel, I’m just going to assume it’s something along the lines of results. I’d like to see how he does on a team that’s not a dumpster fire that he’s spent the majority of his career on.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If that's a novel to you, then the cat and the hat must be equivalent to atlas shrugged.
It was just way too long for something that’s literally just based in opinion.

Being salty and biased on something doesn’t change the fact that he’s had some decent results on shitty teams.

Too long of a novel still, smh.
Feel free to actually participate in the conversation, Tad.

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It’s cap circumvention, sign lower in year one to stay compliant and resign when the cap increases at a higher rate. It make a lot of sense.
It's not cap circumvention lol it's a 1 year deal, he can walk if he doesn't like how this season plays out. Or maybe he has a down year (doubt it) and doesn't get as much.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

View attachment 740287

The90 should've read the post because the data included clearly shows the opposite of what Detroit Knights says it does.

Detroit Knights you realize your argument is something around faceoff effectiveness implying someone who is good at center... and the part of the table you highlighted showed Domi took almost 1000 faceoffs last year and won 53.7% of them. But according to you Domi is not good at faceoffs (did you actually understand what you highlighted?) which therefore according to you means Domi is a winger.

Just wanted to make sure you knew the data you highlighted in the table doesn't support your conclusion, at all. Although I did appreciate your comebacks against the guy who willingly chooses not to read, they were funny

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Read the tea leafs, lol. I'll be suprised if he'll suit up for a game in Canada after the new year.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Florida Panthers called and asked how that 5 game loss tasted.

But yeah, their defense couldn’t use a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

The same person who said the Leafs don’t need help on defense.

That tells you all you need to know.
They called you? What did you tell them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad