Post-Game Talk: Leafs begin season with a WIN. 6-5 in the shootout

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
If only they kept Hyman and Kadri instead of signing Tavares... Add Schenn and Leafs would be gritty team now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My favourite part of that scrum is seeing Matthews, along with Rielly and Gio, aggressively jumping into the fray in defence of Bertuzzi. That’s new. No hesitation support for teammates from everybody is something that’s been lacking for too long.

I mean Rielly and Gio always jump in (Gio's jump reminded me of the Konecny incident)... Matthews did what he always did, grab a guy so he doesn't have to be in the scrum.

This has always happened.

Wednesday night's season opener was a sloppy, back-and-forth game. The Leafs managed to thoroughly outshoot and outplay the Habs, but nobody in Toronto, player or coach, left Scotiabank Arena satisfied by anything but the end result. There was, however, one extremely important moment in the game that seems to be getting overlooked.

Midway through the second period, Bertuzzi and Matthews came oh so close to burying on a nifty give and go play. Bertuzzi took an extra poke at the puck under Jake Allen and was immediately jumped by two Habs. Here's the important part. As soon as they saw their teammate involved in a scrum, both Matthews and Marner immediately joined in with enthusiasm. While Marner was first to intervene, he was quickly put in a headlock and pulled away from the altercation, but Matthews sped into the huddle and grabbed a body immediately afterward. This is something that neither have done with any regularity in the past.

False.

I know people want to believe that somehow Reaves/Bertuzzi/Domi have made these guys unafraid, but that is not the case... They did all those things before.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I pointed out during the game they looked more aggressive and a few, not surprisingly I guess, didn't like it.
I don't know how anyone can view it as a bad thing.
Agreed. Some people just don't get that though. Or they won't admit it. Not sure which to be honest.

The togetherness of being in a scrum swinging wildly at any opponent will serve this team well in the long run.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i did, multiple times.
there was also a drake concert the night before i believe, considering its garbage normally im sure it was even worse.

marner didnt play well, but the ice always has been/is an issue for a high skill team like the leafs
Apparently it didn't bother Matty or Willy.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Be interesting to see those stats in relation to overall scoring in the league at the time.

For example, if in Gretzky's first 350 games the average was 4.81 goals per game, and in Richard's first 481 games the average was 3.50 goals per game, wouldn't that make them about equal?
Interesting observation and why we can never choose the best player ever. Eras were so different. Could you imagine Gretzky or even McDavid playing against the broad street Bullies?
Just taking it to another level.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I mean Rielly and Gio always jump in (Gio's jump reminded me of the Konecny incident)... Matthews did what he always did, grab a guy so he doesn't have to be in the scrum.

This has always happened.

False.

I know people want to believe that somehow Reaves/Bertuzzi/Domi have made these guys unafraid, but that is not the case... They did all those things before.
They absolutely did not. Gio/Rielly do (and you’re right Gio’s jump totally reminded me of that Philly game) but you can’t tell me with a straight face that a response to rough stuff has been lacking on multiple occasions. Bunting was left on his own a bunch of times during scrums. In one of Gio’s first games with the Leafs it was striking because after a goal where he and Matthews went to celebrate Bunting was getting swarmed. Gio immediately rushed over, Matthews did not. My comment had nothing to do with Reaves/Bertuzzi/Domi. It was seeing the gusto with which Matthews jumped in. I just want the team to stand up for each other.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They absolutely did not. Gio/Rielly do (and you’re right Gio’s jump totally reminded me of that Philly game) but you can’t tell me with a straight face that a response to rough stuff has been lacking on multiple occasions. Bunting was left on his own a bunch of times during scrums. In one of Gio’s first games with the Leafs it was striking because after a goal where he and Matthews went to celebrate Bunting was getting swarmed. Gio immediately rushed over, Matthews did not. My comment had nothing to do with Reaves/Bertuzzi/Domi. It was seeing the gusto with which Matthews jumped in. I just want the team to stand up for each other.

I can remember Marner tackling someone trying to get at Matthews, and I always remember Matthews just grabbing whoever is closest and doing nothing.

None of this is new.

I do really hope that Matthews got embarrassed by the Stamkos incident and he starts acting like he is unafraid.

I really don't think anything changed this year, but I hope it did.

Out of all the players, Bertuzzi will probably lead them into the scrums the most, so we will see how that goes with him on their line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It was pretty apparent to see the different attitude they carried on Wednesday. Nylander finishing some checks, Matthews not picking up sticks, overall much more physical. About time,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad