Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat Zebras 4-3

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel like your assessment is off tonight (which is unusal), and biased by the third period.
I read your whole post and took a lot of it to heart. I'd love to respond, but I just don't have the time to do it tonight.

Thanks for the feedback though. I might very well have been overly influenced by that third period.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews did a great job defensively. Babcock’s plan of using Kadri and Matthews to counter Kessel, Malkin and Crosby while the Bozak line did the goal scoring, worked.

We also had really poor reffing, another big two points in the bank.
what game did you watch? Babcock's plan of using the Matthews line against the Crosby line failed spectacularly. Shot attempts were 18-0 in favour of Crosby

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
3. Moving Marleau on to Bozak's line late. Despite Bozak's line playing very well, Babcock actually seemed still more concerned with the danger of Bozak's line getting caught out and being stuck in a mismatch, so he actually gave them some defensive help in the form of Marleau. I'm on board with this. As bad as Hyman looked trying to clear the puck on that shift, it's something we see from JVR a lot, Mitch gets into trouble when he starts trying to do much and abandoning his assignment, and I'm very scared of Bozak trying to cover either of the big two. For me it's a solid decision.

4. Replacing Marleau with Moore on Kadri's line. Someone had to fill the role, and there were three possible choices - JVR, Nylander, or Moore. In this case Babcock went with the "trusty veteran". It's kind of funny/ironic that Babcock gets accused of loving his veterans, because it was three 2nd year players tasked with stopping Crosby, and that trusty veteran was actually replacing another veteran (JVR), not a young player. In any event, I don't have a particular preference for who would have been the best of the three to take this role, but I felt Moore did fine once he was on the line.

So I just wanted to address this. What I’m pretty sure happened was the Bozak line was out and Babs thought the Malkin line was gonna come out so he was going for a line change to get the Kadri line out, however Marleau for JVR is the only change that occurred. They then spent some time in their own zone so by the end of it Marleau was pretty tired. The Malkin line came out so the Kadri line did as well however since Marleau was tired and JVR had just changed as well, they just had Moore replace him. As far as I noticed it was just this shift that they played together.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
But, I can count on one hand the games we’ve dominated. Some of that is youth, but part is the marginalization of some of our young stars. I can understand though not agree that Marner and Nylander be placed on a fourth line for a game or two, but what Babcock is doing with Nylander is abhorrent. He played very well the last 3 games despite playing with avg players. I agree with Nith that tonight wasn’t his best game but can you blame the kid, he’s probably disheartened.
While I too am mystified about Nylander and the length of his stint on the 4th line I cannot say I'm not liking winning.
Iirc the whole line shuffle started when we were is that 4 game losing slump. Then Babs changed the line up and we are winning games.
I really like winning games and if that doubles as teaching moments then I'm double happy.
Also Willie has been getting lots of minutes since the demotion except last night.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I read your whole post and took a lot of it to heart. I'd love to respond, but I just don't have the time to do it tonight.

Thanks for the feedback though. I might very well have been overly influenced by that third period.

No problem. Count me among the people that love your analysis. I just felt like we saw the game differently tonight so wanted to give my perspective.

So I just wanted to address this. What I’m pretty sure happened was the Bozak line was out and Babs thought the Malkin line was gonna come out so he was going for a line change to get the Kadri line out, however Marleau for JVR is the only change that occurred. They then spent some time in their own zone so by the end of it Marleau was pretty tired. The Malkin line came out so the Kadri line did as well however since Marleau was tired and JVR had just changed as well, they just had Moore replace him. As far as I noticed it was just this shift that they played together.

I think you're right, I guess I just missed it. If it had have been intentional, I think it would have been a good move.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad