Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat the Sabres 2-1 .. By God we won in Buffalo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Marner is good, like really good. He's mostly a C: backchecks like a demon, puckhound, drives the play, is a playmaker, make everyone around him better...

Imagine Matthews and Marner in their prime.

Matthews (Kopitar)
Marner (Giroux)
Kadri
Gauthier

So so damn sexy.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Marner is good, like really good. He's mostly a C: backchecks like a demon, puckhound, drives the play, is a playmaker, make everyone around him better...

Matthews (Kopitar)
Marner (Giroux)
Kadri
Gauthier

So so damn sexy.

Marner's not a center and won't be. Don't force it.

Nylander on the other case. Danm

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

Matthews (Kopitar)
Marner (Giroux)
Kadri
Gauthier

So so damn sexy.
I'm not sure if Marner has ever played as C (briefly last season though). No sure he would start now.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I'm saying he essentially plays the C role on whatever line he's on. Whether in wording or not, when you watch him play that's what he is.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm not sure if Marner has ever played as C (briefly last season though). No sure he would start now.

He played centre in the OHL playoffs against McDavid and was lights out. I don't see the need for Marner playing C though. Drafting Matthews helped us out there, we don't need to develop him as a C because he plays like a centre from the wing position anyways.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Marner already positionally plays C most of the time on that line. Bozak is there to take face offs mostly.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Marner and Tkatchuk must be in a race, both getting their first multigoal game and 2nd/3rd of the season in the same night

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I get that but it seemed like you listed centers for our 4 lines there. What happened to Nylander?

It's like SJ. They have Thornton, Pavelski and Couture on lines 1-2. I don't care what anyone says, Pavelski is a C, SJ is just loaded so play them together. On line 1, Thornton and Pavelski both take the FO's.

For us though, out of Matthews, Marner and Nylander, Nylander can take FOs, but I see him as a prototypical winger.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Havent had a chance to read through the thread so not sure whats been said but hats off to Buffalo for playing a great game. Still can't believe people in the GDT were expecting a blow out and calling this game an easy win. We were completely outplayed and outmanned in this one (Even without Eichel, Kane and Bogosian). Freddy bailed us out big time, but this young group needs games like this to grow.

Marner obviously played well, and I thought Reilly was pretty solid compared to the rest of the D. Carrick was pretty awful, and was really lucky he didn't get another interference penalty which could have been the difference. 2 points, take it and move on

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Havent had a chance to read through the thread so not sure whats been said but hats off to Buffalo for playing a great game. Still can't believe people in the GDT were expecting a blow out and calling this game an easy win. We were completely outplayed and outmanned in this one (Even without Eichel, Kane and Bogosian). Freddy bailed us out big time, but this young group needs games like this to grow.

Marner obviously played well, and I thought Reilly was pretty solid compared to the rest of the D. Carrick was pretty awful, and was really lucky he didn't get another interference penalty which could have been the difference. 2 points, take it and move on

It happens. I am not going to feel bad for winning a game because of our goalie. We more than deserve this win. We outplayed the Habs and lost, tonight that evened out in our favour.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
The 2nd and 3rd periods were dominated by the Sabres, all the talk was about our speed but they looked just as fast. Great cycle game too. Very fortunate to walk away with the win.

Although we scored the lone goal in the first, they outplayed us then too. Shots were 15-7 after 1. We were very fortunate in this one

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Buffalo looked so good because the Leafs were so inept in their own zone.

Even the first goal could have been avoided had they just got the puck out when they have the chance, and they had a chance.

But the leafs couldn't sustain pressure in the Buffalo for any extended period of time either. This was far from the easy win you were calling it before the game

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Freddy stole this one for the Leafs and the Leafs needed it.

Buffalo seemed to control the play most of the game in Leafs own zone and Leafs only had a few rush chances 1 and done chances much of the night.

"Play the Kids" continues to be the winning strategy as on any given night outside of Kads game verses McDavid it seems the youth is carrying the offense.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This team is legit one good defenseman, experience and tinkering away from being a Stanley Cup contender, provided Andersen can provide league average to slightly above average goaltending.

I can't wait to see what the Leafs do with the cap space they are going to have.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's solid defensively and on the PK.

He does have some problems handling the puck under pressure though, which is why he can't play a lot of minutes or he gets exposed.

I think he's been fine.

Agreed. Seems that the puck always ends up in his feet and then he starts fumbling.

I think he is still a work in progress.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This team is legit one good defenseman, experience and tinkering away from being a Stanley Cup contender, provided Andersen can provide league average to slightly above average goaltending.

I can't wait to see what the Leafs do with the cap space they are going to have.

Not push it to the limit over the next 2-3 seasons, because they're gonna have to lock up the big three.

Sign Zaitsev this summer, decide on another stable vet D for a 1-2 year.

Hockey trade for any upgrades.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Agreed. Seems that the puck always ends up in his feet and then he starts fumbling.

I think he is still a work in progress.

Agreed.

He needs to play like vintage Luke Schenn.... get the puck, immediately pass it sideways to your partner.

That also means the guys playing with him cannot be screwing around though

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

He is only 24 as well which I knew but forgot until I looked it up last night. The horrible puck control and inability to pass is holding him back. He makes a great defensive play gets the puck coughs it up and either makes another great defensive play or it becomes sustained pressure for the opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad