Prospect Info: Leafs at WJC [12/29 WJC cancelled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Thought I'd open up a thread like we have every year to talk about the Leafs players going to/at the WJC this season.

If you're not aware Niemela and Hirvonen are both locks for Finland, and Knies seems to have played himself onto the team at the WJSS for USA in the summer as well as being dominant as a freshman in the NCAA for Minnesota. All three should have prominent roles:

Niemela - 1D
Hirvonen - 1LW
Knies - Top-9 (probably better) LW

Tverberg is currently fighting for a spot for Canada. Barely ever do non-1st round Canadians that play in the NCAA make it, but his season so far was clearly too good to ignore for HC. I strangely think he has an inside track on a bottom-6 role with how well he's played this season, coupled with how good he played last night. The coach also seems to praise him every chance he gets. We'll know more after Canada makes cuts tonight.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Thought I'd open up a thread like we have every year to talk about the Leafs players going to/at the WJC this season.

If you're not aware Niemela and Hirvonen are both locks for Finland, and Knies seems to have played himself onto the team at the WJSS for USA in the summer as well as being dominant as a freshman in the NCAA for Minnesota. All three should have prominent roles:

Niemela - 1D
Hirvonen - 1LW

Tverberg is currently fighting for a spot for Canada. Barely ever do non-1st round Canadians that play in the NCAA make it, but his season so far was clearly too good to ignore for HC. I strangely think he has an inside track on a bottom-6 role with how well he's played this season, coupled with how good he played last night. The coach also seems to praise him every chance he gets. We'll know more after Canada makes cuts tonight.

I think Knies is a lock for top 6 LW, most likely 1LW. His size, skill and playstyle are better suited to drive the bus. I think Tverberg is in tough, especially since this is the first time in his career he's on team Canada's radar. It's hard to jump into these settings and play with guys you've never played before. Almost every other player at the camp right now has been with team Canada before and has had plenty of opportunities to play with the other players also currently in camp. Also being from the CHL for most means they've at least come across the other guys as well and I'm sure most guys are friends with the other guys on the team as well. Tverberg probably doesn't have any friends at this camp since he's never come across these guys.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think Knies is a lock for top 6 LW, most likely 1LW. His size, skill and playstyle are better suited to drive the bus. I think Tverberg is in tough, especially since this is the first time in his career he's on team Canada's radar. It's hard to jump into these settings and play with guys you've never played before. Almost every other player at the camp right now has been with team Canada before and has had plenty of opportunities to play with the other players also currently in camp. Also being from the CHL for most means they've at least come across the other guys as well and I'm sure most guys are friends with the other guys on the team as well. Tverberg probably doesn't have any friends at this camp since he's never come across these guys.

I think you're overselling this. Tverberg played in the GTHL. In 2017-18 he played for the U16 Canadiens (AAA), O'Rourke & Perfetti (Vaughn), Power (Mississauga), Thompson (Clarington) all played in the same league, the same year. Wright was a year behind playing in the U15's that season. He was drafted to the OHL the same year as all those guys (besides Wright) by Hamilton, he just chose to go an unorthodox route in GTHL > OJHL > College. He just really didn't break out as a prospect until late last season, and really has blossomed this year. Probably played with/against those guys his whole life. Not to mention tournaments against guys like Evangelista, Sebrango, Brochu, etc.

As for Knies, I think he's a lock for the top-6 too. I've just seen people with more knowledge of USA hockey on the main boards have him anywhere between 1st-3rd line. Just didn't want to get too ahead of myself.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Niemela is still eligible? Based on his production this year I would have guessed he's a bit older.

Damn he should dominate.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Niemela is still eligible? Based on his production this year I would have guessed he's a bit older.

Damn he should dominate.

Don't think there has ever been a B2B best defenseman of the tournament winner too. Not to mention he was on 2PP and 2nd pairing last WJC so we could legit see one of the best defensive performances ever in this tournament. There's no real standout offensive defenseman on 3/5 big teams (Sweden, USA, Russia) that most likely will be a lock for the award voting. If I had to guess, it's going to be a fight between Niemela, Power, Sanderson, Edvinsson, and Mukhamudulin (with Jiricek and Nemec as darkhorses), but like last year with Niemela, there's always a chance someone else steals it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Don't think there has ever been a B2B best defenseman of the tournament winner too. Not to mention he was on 2PP and 2nd pairing last WJC so we could legit see one of the best defensive performances ever in this tournament. There's no real standout offensive defenseman on 3/5 big teams (Sweden, USA, Russia) that most likely will be a lock for the award voting. If I had to guess, it's going to be a fight between Niemela, Power, Sanderson, Edvinsson, and Mukhamudulin (with Jiricek and Nemec as darkhorses), but like last year with Niemela, there's always a chance someone else steals it.

Niemela might be flying under the radar in terms of big name prospects because he's playing in Europe but he's having such a stellar season.

This WJC could be a coming out party of sorts being in the big spotlight of North America and the tournament being in Canada.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Niemela might be flying under the radar in terms of big name prospects because he's playing in Europe but he's having such a stellar season.

This WJC could be a coming out party of sorts being in the big spotlight of North America and the tournament being in Canada.

It's funny too because after he won the best defenseman of the tournament award, guys like Button didn't shut up about him. Barely heard him mentioned since. So typical for TSN/SN.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Hirvonen is a candidate to have some pretty big hype after this tournament as well. Played his way onto the top line with Lundell last year.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
If Niemela wins best defensemen again, will Finland name him as 1 of their top players, or would they pick somebody else again?

Reactions: Morgs

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I've already forgotten where I read this only a few days ago but Tverberg was referred to as being a very reliable young player who is always in the proper position on the ice based on the game situation. Makes him sound promising as a prospect. Breaking the habit of chasing the puck can be hard because young players are used to being the best player on the ice through a lot of their development.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've already forgotten where I read this only a few days ago but Tverberg was referred to as being a very reliable young player who is always in the proper position on the ice based on the game situation. Makes him sound promising as a prospect. Breaking the habit of chasing the puck can be hard because young players are used to being the best player on the ice through a lot of their development.

In his interview it sounded like he was saying, paraphrasing "I've never been in the spotlight, this is all new to me." So I'm sure he's toiled hard at being good enough to make his teams and taking team responsibilities as job one.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Niemela - 1D
Hirvonen - 1LW

A lot of people were raving about his play last night, especially early in the game and Cameron seems to be a big fan of Tverberg's game as well. I'm thinking he makes it on the fourth line and might work his way up as the tournament progresses.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Hirvonen is a candidate to have some pretty big hype after this tournament as well. Played his way onto the top line with Lundell last year.
I expect him to have a big tournament. His production in Liiga is only starting to pick up but he has always looked really strong and dominant at times against his peers.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Tverberg was cut. Canada has zero RHD this year, but that makes sense because they were the worst guys.

No Lapierre either.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Well no Tverberg. Too bad because I liked his game better than Desnoyers who made it. Honestly though Lapierre not making it seems like a truly bad decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad