News Article: Leafs are now identifiable.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
They are scoring more, the "why" is immaterial to the fact their increase in production is IMO why this team record is so good.

Before this year, Mitch scored at 0.97 ppg, this year 1.43 ppg, that is almost a half point per game better.
Before this year, Matthews scored at 1.01 ppg, this year 1.55 ppg, that is more than a half point per game better.

Between the 2 of them they added about a ppg more to Toronto's production, it's like Toronto added a star's production without adding a star
So again, you missed the point, I said if MM and AM play at career average, our team is closer to middle of the pack. In context to an article that says our teams is playing better because of a team system, its pretty easy to win when 2 elite players who are already scoring at a high pace add a ppg to their career average.

McDavid has a career pace of 1.33 ppg and is at 1.81 ppg this year. To save you the work, he would have 11 less points, which could mean up to 22 less point across his team, and likely a few more loses.

Reactions: Auston 316

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I agree with everything you said in this post but the last line leads me to think you think I'm putting down MM and AM, I'm not sure how to be any clearer, my opinion is Mitch and AM are carrying this team. That's a good thing we have elite world class players.

We also have played some really crappy teams, who were struggling at the time, we built leads and were able to coast to wins. It's easy to defend against bad teams or teams playing bad when you have the lead. I hope I'm wrong but we now see what teams do when they have time to pick the Leafs system apart, those last 2 games will be more of that and less of Matty scoring for 16 straight games. We wont be wining 14 games in the next 20, we wont be buzz sawing through the teams like we did in the first 1/3rd of the season. Watch what happens when AM and MM are no longer carrying this team our supposed new system of elite defence wont help us.
This Edmonton series of 3 games adds some much needed pressure. It will be gauged as such by most. Excluding me. The game breakers on each of our teams could dominate a game or series. I will be watching how composure,discipline,defensive awareness and structure holds up in this. Win,lose or wash strength of character through this series will be my focal point. The better team on the whole is what I’m watching for. Play their structured style they have been working on and i expect to come out on top this series. That said if they lose 2 of 3 it won’t be anything but a learning curve. I also think we are a better team than Edmonton. Key for me is don’t take more penalties than them each game. Our top players are strong. Dubas has roster improvements on his plate constantly. Keefe is getting the most out of everyone currently. Our PK has to improve.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You don't find it unusual that these two players scored around the same pace for 4 years then have a 50% improvement in production? My point again is the W/L improvement in the Leafs this year is not system related, its 2 players related.

When did AM and MM score at the same pace for 4 years?

AM
  • .84 ppg
  • 1.01 ppg
  • 1.07 ppg
  • 1.14 ppg
MM
  • .79 ppg
  • .84 ppg
  • 1.15 ppg
  • 1.14 ppg
Your point is incorrect. While they are playing better, the whole team is better defensively, and that's evident to anyone watching.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly.

I've noticed that men peak athletically at around 28. They start regressing slowly after that until about 34.

So we have 10 serviceable years and...

tenor.gif
That’s what she said

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When did AM and MM score at the same pace for 4 years?

AM
  • .84 ppg
  • 1.01 ppg
  • 1.07 ppg
  • 1.14 ppg
MM
  • .79 ppg
  • .84 ppg
  • 1.15 ppg
  • 1.14 ppg
Your point is incorrect. While they are playing better, the whole team is better defensively, and that's evident to anyone watching.

You don't think a variance of .13 over 3 years is very close to the same pace? You don't think .05 over two years and .01 is a similar pace? Net result over 82 games is very close.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You don't think a variance of .13 over 3 years is very close to the same pace? You don't think .05 over two years and .01 is a similar pace? Net result over 82 games is very close.
No I don't think 93 and 69 points is the same thing, which is what you said. Let's not start moving goal posts.

You have also ignored several players in the division having career years, but hold it against the Leafs. It's incredibly transparent.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No I don't think 93 and 69 points is the same thing, which is what you said. Let's not start moving goal posts.

You have also ignored several players in the division having career years, but hold it against the Leafs. It's incredibly transparent.

Did you notice how I was referencing points per game and not points per season, you may want to pay a little more attention there sport.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Did you notice how I was referencing points per game and not points per season, you may want to pay a little more attention there sport.

You do understand that points per game are extrapolated to 82 games season totals to give context, right? The mental gymnastics you're trying to perform here are a lot of fun to watch.

Again, are you going to run this same dishonest exercise for McDavid, who is also .5 PPG over his career average, leading to 11 more points for him and up to 22 extra points for his team and likely a few extra wins. Or does this only apply to the Leafs?

Reactions: Auston 316 and zeke

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You do understand that points per game are extrapolated to 82 games season totals to give context, right? The mental gymnastics you're trying to perform here are a lot of fun to watch.

Again, are you going to run this same dishonest exercise for McDavid, who is also .5 PPG over his career average, leading to 11 more points for him and up to 22 extra points for his team and likely a few extra wins. Or does this only apply to the Leafs?

Sounds like you like squirrels?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The North is one of the most offensive centric divisions (including having McDavid)......So dont think I buy this QoC argument

It has everything to do with it, you beat Vancouver 7-3, 5-1, 3-1 when they are in a cold streak , struggling to score, yeah it means something. When you beat Ottawa 5-3, 3-2, 2-1, it means something for your GA, that team couldn't score if they had an empty net 3 feet away from them.

Take a look at the record against teams, and for most of the games where the other team scores 2 goals or less, they are in a stretch of games where they didn't score many goals....

2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs Schedule | ESPN

This teams plays vs Tampa, Colorado, Las Vegas, Boston, I'm willing to be the GA/g will be higher than 3.00.

We are playing soft teams or teams that were on cold streaks.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
I'm just saying that MM and AM are in a place, in terms of production, where they have never been before. CM and LD in Edm , have produced at the pace they are currently at. Our success IMO is more related to two world class players playing above their career norms. The key for me is what is normal. If the system was the reason, you'd see our 2nd line, which could be a first line on many teams, succeed as well.

I'm happy they think that defence is powering this 1st place position, IMO AM and MM are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reason why we are in 1st place. Take the two Calgary games for example, they made a point of shutting down AM and MM, 0 goals in 2 games, resulted in one loss and a lucky bounce in game 2 where we scored with the goalie pulled. If MM and AM don't score, we typically don't win.

Are you talking about career averages for players who are 23? You think the averages for players from 19-22 is what they are? That their progression will be static?

This is the natural evolution of two star players, not a statistical over achievement.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It has everything to do with it, you beat Vancouver 7-3, 5-1, 3-1 when they are in a cold streak , struggling to score, yeah it means something. When you beat Ottawa 5-3, 3-2, 2-1, it means something for your GA, that team couldn't score if they had an empty net 3 feet away from them.

Take a look at the record against teams, and for most of the games where the other team scores 2 goals or less, they are in a stretch of games where they didn't score many goals....

This teams plays vs Tampa, Colorado, Las Vegas, Boston, I'm willing to be the GA/g will be higher than 3.00.

Last year's goals per game

3. TOR
8. VAN
14. EDM
17. WPG
19. MTL
20. CGY
24. OTT

This year:

1. EDM
3. WPG
4. TOR
7. MTL
20. VAN
25. OTT
28. CGY

I'd say the leafs' offense is underperforming this year relative to the easier competition. Not surprising given tavares/willy struggles.

But the defensive improvement is absolutely legit given what these teams have done offensively both in and out of this division.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I saw the thread title and assumed it was about getting rid of those horrid reverse retro jerseys, the numbers of which may as well be invisible.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

But the Leafs aren't being lit up by the better offensive teams in this division ie Edmonton, Winnipeg, Habs ect.

So I can't say I agree with this at all. The team is playing structurally different and has better defensive personnel in the lineup (ie Brodie). The teams defensive results line up well with 1) the eye test and 2) the stats.

So I don't see what evidence there is that this is a mirage other than the fact the Leafs play Vancouver as well as thr Senators (they'd be playing against Buffalo instead of thr Nucks in the old division)

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I kind of think it really comes down to AM and MM playing elite elite elite world class hockey. If they are playing near their career averages I think we are a middle-ish of the pack team. Just eye balling AM would have about 5 or 6 less goals and MM would have about 2 or 3 less goals, combined 7 to 9 fewer goals means 2 to 4 less wins, 4 less point means we are in 2nd behind Edmonton, 8 less points means we are in 3rd 2 points ahead of 4th.

If we had such a great team system, the production would be spread out better, the 2nd and 3rd lines have been disappointing, the 4th line has produced better than I expected. I think this years team is better than last years team but its way too soon for the Leaf's or the media to be blowing sunshine up the backsides of the fandom.

I agree it's too early to say much, but that said, if you're going to knock off some goals from Matthews & Marner I think it's only fair that you add a couple to Tavares & Nylander since those slumps aren't sustainable either.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
But the Leafs aren't being lit up by the better offensive teams in this division ie Edmonton, Winnipeg, Habs ect.

So I can't say I agree with this at all. The team is playing structurally different and has better defensive personnel in the lineup (ie Brodie). The teams defensive results line up well with 1) the eye test and 2) the stats.

So I don't see what evidence there is that this is a mirage other than the fact the Leafs play Vancouver as well as thr Senators (they'd be playing against Buffalo instead of thr Nucks in the old division)

Edmonton is a horrid team and we have played Winterpg once when they were struggling.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Leafs are where they should be considering the weak competition, best team in the North League.

Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Leafs are where they should be considering the weak competition, best team in the North League.

Bingo! The North is generally considered the weakest division in hockey. Based on the individual talent on this team our team stats should look better than last year. It's not hard to keep bad teams from scoring, in the weakest division, when they are slumping.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bingo! The North is generally considered the weakest division in hockey. Based on the individual talent on this team our team stats should look better than last year. It's not hard to keep bad teams from scoring, in the weakest division, when they are slumping.

Did you consider the leafs to be overwhelming favorites in the division coming into the season?

Reactions: Sniper99
Mar 14, 2011
18/19 PP time per game
AM 2:35
MM 2:34
PP time on ice per game 4:21

20/21
AM 3:39
MM 3:23
PP TOI/gp 4:46

Babcock's stubborn use of the less effective, 2nd powerplay unit hurt Marner's and AM's production in the past. It was really annoying seeing the scoring threats from other teams get around 1 minute more of PP ice time per game compare to the Leafs young guns, outscoring them in the process despite MM and AM having better 5 vs 5 numbers.

Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad