Proposal: LEAFS AND WINGS

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Premise behind this is that the wings need cap space to sign Larkin long term.

TML
Carrick
2019 STL 4th

DRW
Kronwall
2019 NYI 2nd

Wings get 3.45 million in cap space which should be enough to sign Larkin. TML add another veteran RHD on our bottom pairing D for one last kick at the can. Babcock knows Kronwall and he can likely fall into our system without much of a learning curve. Yes the pick is a steep price but you are getting a pick back and a kid that can still be controlled after next year. TML likely have Liljegren up next year on ELC.

Thoughts?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

TML
Carrick
2019 STL 4th

DRW
Kronwall
2019 NYI 2nd

Wings get 3.45 million in cap space which should be enough to sign Larkin. TML add another veteran RHD on our bottom pairing D for one last kick at the can. Babcock knows Kronwall and he can likely fall into our system without much of a learning curve. Yes the pick is a steep price but you are getting a pick back and a kid that can still be controlled after next year. TML likely have Liljegren up next year on ELC.

Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure Wings fans have stated that Kronwall is done like dinner at this point and is effectively useless.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Detroit does not need to clear cap space to sign Larkin. Franzen will be put on LTIR before the season starts, just as the Wings did last season, which will give Detroit roughly 6.8M in space which will be enough to fit Larkin's deal.

And yeah Leafs don't want Kronwall anymore, he's done, a shell of his former self. Dunno how much he'll even play for the Wings this year.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

TML
Carrick
2019 STL 4th

DRW
Kronwall
2019 NYI 2nd

Thoughts?
I think Carrick is better than Kronwall.

What I don't think is we should be in the business of doing Detroit (or any other team really) favours.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:laugh: Once again we Wing fans made it abundantly clear, That we don't need to shed any cap to be able to resign Larkin. What part of you can be 10% over during the summer. Isn't getting through to people. Doubt Kronwall would waive for the Leafs. He wants to retire a Wing he said same with Zetterberg. Both teams easily decline that offer.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
:laugh: Once again we Wing fans made it abundantly clear, That we don't need to shed any cap to be able to resign Larkin. What part of you can be 10% over during the summer. Isn't getting through to people. Doubt Kronwall would waive for the Leafs. He wants to retire a Wing he said same with Zetterberg. Both teams easily decline that offer.
What part of "It's really a bad idea to continually be over the cap by using LTIR" don't you understand?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
We're not saying it isn't bad, You've to remember we've an idiot GM. That wants to keep signing over the hill players to mentor the young kids hence Vanek for one.

Well I see people say "We don't need to do anything. Franzen's salary doesn't count."

Actually his cap hit ALWAYS counts, LTIR or not. And putting players on LTIR is bad. Now it's not bad enough to make a team deal a 1st for, but moving a 2nd for? If I was Holland and could do a deal like proposed here I'd do it in a heartbeat.

At some point you're going to find that you can't call up a prospect because of bonus overages. Or you are going to have a season where prior bonus overages reduce your cap enough that you'll have to let someone go.

Like anything painful, it's best to deal with something early and take the pain now as opposed to just continually putting it off with bandaids.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Well I see people say "We don't need to do anything. Franzen's salary doesn't count."

Actually his cap hit ALWAYS counts, LTIR or not. And putting players on LTIR is bad. Now it's not bad enough to make a team deal a 1st for, but moving a 2nd for? If I was Holland and could do a deal like proposed here I'd do it in a heartbeat.

At some point you're going to find that you can't call up a prospect because of bonus overages. Or you are going to have a season where prior bonus overages reduce your cap enough that you'll have to let someone go.

Like anything painful, it's best to deal with something early and take the pain now as opposed to just continually putting it off with bandaids.

I've also see people saying we need cap space to sign so and so. Wings have been cap compliant every single opening day since the salary cap came into effect 13 years ago without having to make any cap shedding trades.

Wings have literally done nothing trade-wise every year. That's why you see people say "we don't need to do anything". Because we never had before, and I very much doubt we'll need to this year.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Leafs are going to use any cap space we have to add good players, not second round picks. That's Montréal this year.

And Carrick is better than Kronwall at this point.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Make it stop...

"Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed."

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just wondered if we would trade another 2nd rounder for a rental again? Last 2 times it was for a rental 4C.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Detroit does not need cap space. The Wings are not giving up picks to move players out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad