Friedman: Leafs and Sens working on a trade based around Zaitsev and Ceci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastborn142

Jun 29, 2019
The Leafs just gave a 1st for one season of Marleau,we want more than a 4th liner in return ...And rightfully so
Leafs aren't desperate to get rid of Zaitsev like they were for Marleau. Zaitsev actually fills an organizational need (RHD) so they aren't going to get rid of him if it costs them assets.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa likely sees value in Zaitsev, though. Very different than the Marleau situation where Marleau was being bought out.
What value?Ceci,s is higher because he is the same defender,and doesnt have to be signed and can be cut loose as a UFA by simply not tendering a contract...

Now the EM factor does come into play here,but this would be the only reason as to why us taking Zaitsev for Ceci ,for the mere cost of Brown does make sense...But in reality this deal would be a complete hose job to us

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
The same DJ Smith that has Zaitsev requesting a trade because of the way he was deployed?

If he thought Smith was responsible for that deployment, then kind of strange he would waive his NMC to reunite with him again, no???

Ceci had enough physical traits that he could cheat and make up ground when he was with the 67s. He was great as a rookie on that stacked team (Toffoli, Prince and the boys). Then next year (after he was drafted) that class graduated and Ceci was exposed. It was BRUTAL. It was like watching him implode every game.

At the pro-level, he's this big, well skating D.....that just cannot process the game fast enough. He is constantly confused, caught of position and that's him playing in a very defensive 1-3-1 system. It is absolutely no surprise that Manny has him as the worst defenceman in the league. Nothing works.

IF he plays for the Leafs....well, I don't know how he'll do in a system in an all out offensive (skates forward) system. I'm sure he'll chip in some nice rushes if he's allowed. But gahdamn, is he going to cost them some games if he's not properly controlled.

Really don't care about these two teams swapping their worst defenceman. Helps the Leafs loosen up their cap bind. And gives the Senators basically the same player on the contract they wanted to begin with.

The Senators aren't going to be competitive for years. If they get a 'sweetner' from the Leafs for getting out of Ceci. Then in 3 years they flip Zaitsev with a couple years left on his contract for another pick/prospect, then who cares.

LOL!!! Remember when we overthought the Phaneuf-Cowen trade and it turned out the teams knew better and they were just swapping junk....

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If true, that's not much of a sweetener at all, considering its doing the Leafs a favour in ridding themselves of 2.1 million against the cap on the 4th line.

I could see the sweetener being Brown+TOR taking Condon and Harpur.

If you're Toronto, you just paid a 1st to have a team take similar cash to the 3.8 million Condon and Harpur is owed. So they are probably presenting it to Ottawa like they are giving them the equivalent of a 2020 1st, as well as Connor Brown at only 1.6M in real cash to compensate for Zaitsev's excessive term.

Ceci (Qualified @ 4.35M/Arbitration pending)
Condon (1.4 AAV Buried/3M Cash)
Harpur (0.0 AAV Buried/800k Cash)
(Total Cap=5.75M+)
(Total Cash=8.15M+)

for

Zaitsev (4.5M AAV/1.5M 2020 salary/4.5M salary yrs 2-5)
Brown (2.1M AAV/1.6M 2020 salary/Pending arbitration eligible RFA 2020)
AHL Contract
(Total Cap=6.6M)
(Total Cash=3.1M)

Something that people haven't noted as much with this trade is that while Toronto is going to probably have to devote 4.5-5.0 million to Ceci after arbitration, they don't have to do it until then. This means that Toronto shaves about 5.4M off their cap on July 1st. Because they will have almost 11 million in space after this trade and can spend an additional 8 or so million above the cap, that would put the Leafs in a position to possibly extend Gardiner without having to leave themselves vulnerable to a Marner offer sheet that only offers two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd as compensation since they'd have the cap to match anything in that bracket.

I don't get this trade for the Senators. It's a short term money saving move by a GM who is probably on panic mode to make his team competitive under a strict budget so that ownership can sell tickets. I base this on Melnyk publicly calling out management saying they have to get their act together this year, and Dorion's out of place idea that this team should contend for a playoff spot this season.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018

If you're Toronto, you just paid a 1st to have a team take similar cash to the 3.8 million Condon and Harpur is owed. So they are probably presenting it to Ottawa like they are giving them the equivalent of a 2020 1st, as well as Connor Brown at only 1.6M in real cash to compensate for Zaitsev's excessive term.

(Total Cap=5.75M+)
(Total Cash=8.15M+)

for

AHL Contract
(Total Cap=6.6M)
(Total Cash=3.1M)

Something that people haven't noted as much with this trade is that while Toronto is going to probably have to devote 4.5-5.0 million to Ceci after arbitration, they don't have to do it until then. This means that Toronto shaves about 5.4M off their cap on July 1st. Because they will have almost 11 million in space after this trade and can spend an additional 8 or so million above the cap, that would put the Leafs in a position to possibly extend Gardiner without having to leave themselves vulnerable to a Marner offer sheet that only offers two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd as compensation since they'd have the cap to match anything in that bracket.

I don't get this trade for the Senators. It's a short term money saving move by a GM who is probably on panic mode to make his team competitive under a strict budget so that ownership can sell tickets. I base this on Melnyk publicly calling out management saying they have to get their act together this year, and Dorion's out of place idea that this team should contend for a playoff spot this season.
That’s what I would bet money on the trade being too. I feel bad for Sens fans, Melnyk is such an ass and terrible owner

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

(Total Cap=5.75M+)
(Total Cash=8.15M+)

for

AHL Contract
(Total Cap=6.6M)
(Total Cash=3.1M)

I could see something like this happening. Ottawa would like to move Condon and Harpur, and since they are doing the Leafs a favour by taking Zaitsev, the Leafs may need to do Ottawa a favour as well.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Its another betrayal and reason for us not to support this ass in any fashion
I wouldn’t blame you. They were so close to a cup, and he got cheap. I mean if you’re going to own a sports franchise you shouldn’t be pinching pennies when trying to build and keep your team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I wouldn’t blame you. They were so close to a cup, and he got cheap. I mean if you’re going to own a sports franchise you shouldn’t be pinching pennies when trying to build and keep your team.
He has cheaped out on our team for the last decade,so this isnt anything new to us here

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The sweetener isn't Brown.
The SEns are doing this to save money. After July 1st, Zaitsev will be owed $1.5M vs Ceci who would at minimum command $4.3M. Melnyk is almost certainly planning on pocketing that difference.

The sweeteners are most likely B prospects who are part of Dubas' yearly turnover: Dmytro Timashov, Jesper Lindgren, etc

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Honestly, given how the market is going, those numbers are a bit unrealistic. I think we see closer to a $10 million x 4 get settled on.

Lmao thats awful if true. That buys up no UFA years. Id rather just trade him if thats what he signs for.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I am curious to see if Ceci gets flipped as his qualifying offer is still a cap hit that is problematic for the Leafs.

Is he arbitration eligible?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Can someone please explain to me how Ceci would get above a 4.4 arbitration settlement when he apparently sucks?

So does he suck? Or is he decent?
Pretty sure it's because when he signed his first year contact 4 years ago it was back loaded and the final year his salary was 4.3 million. He didn't improve so Ottawa jut qualified him last year. Now they would have to do the same this year.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
What value?Ceci,s is higher because he is the same defender,and doesnt have to be signed and can be cut loose as a UFA by simply not tendering a contract...

Now the EM factor does come into play here,but this would be the only reason as to why us taking Zaitsev for Ceci ,for the mere cost of Brown does make sense...But in reality this deal would be a complete hose job to us

I assume they think Zaitsev is better than Ceci, so that’s the value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Is Harpur really that bad?

If the Leafs acquire him, he might play in the NHL, but he would probably be in the minors. He's a fringe NHLer at best. He is on a 1 way contract starting this year at 800k. While that isn't a big deal for most teams because they can bury him and get the 800k in cap back, with the Senators being a budget team, Harpur gives the Leafs an opportunity to transfer cash to the Senators without taking on any additional cap.

If other coaches/GMs felt he was an NHL player, the Senators probably would have dealt him by now to get an asset like a late pick. He's been rumoured as being on the block all summer. My guess would be that the Senators shopped him and nobody bit, so they'll now try to integrate his cash in one of the cap vs salary trades they make like this Zaitsev trade.

Harpur wouldn't be a bad piece to have for the Leafs because he's likely to clear waivers during training camp cuts. That means if the Leafs get deep in their depth chart with injuries, they would have a guy with NHL experience who could come up and play a little bit rather than a prospect who might not be fully ready. If he clears waivers during training camp, he then becomes exempt for a set time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ottawa likely sees value in Zaitsev, though. Very different than the Marleau situation where Marleau was being bought out.

Yep.

That's a factor too many folks are underestimating. I dont know why people are expecting Ottawa of all teams to be making Lucent managerial decisions....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep.

That's a factor too many folks are underestimating. I dont know why people are expecting Ottawa of all teams to be making Lucent managerial decisions....
Oh we dont but as we have a very unhinged owner,but there is no value in Zaitsev in reality ..Just as there really isnt for Ceci ,just one you dont have to pay ,the other you do for 4 more seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad