Leafs and Neutral Zone Trap

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This post is a biggest ****ING JOKE. I still recall some morons talking about how good things were under carlyle because they made the playoffs......

seriously LOL

funny enough you start whining but call others whiners when they raise any concern. Do us all a favour if you want to drink the koolaid thats all fine and dandy don't expect everyone else to apply the same moronic logic

I never said anything about Carlyle, what am I whining about?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
During regular season none of this matters because Leafs can just out talent almost everyone else in league on most nights. But in playoffs when the game is called differently (which is why time and space is reduced) and it has been ever since i started playing and watching hockey 40 years ago it is NHL playoff hockey. Then we find out if we have the will and desire to fight through the forecheck and the trap.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
we probably shouldn't overreact to one game, but strengthening the right side of the defense with at least one player who's a better puck mover and passer than our current options would help here too

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good news is Bruins don't play that game. 2 guys on forecheck. 2 guys centre and defense looking to pick up the stretch and 1 guy playing the boards. Every once in a while you can catch them on a breakaway with their 5 men in deep strategy.

That neutral zone trap game with no forecheck must be dealt with by calling a penalty for delay of game.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
With the goofy playoff format that currently exists, all top ranking teams face a tough first round, whether it be against the Bruins, Caps, T. Bay, Pens...... Leafs.

Marrner

May 27, 2017
How can Leafs improve against the neutral zone trap?

Get better personnel (i.e. trades)

Better systems?

Better lines?

Better breakouts?

Better on the fly coaching ?

Better midgame adjustments?

WHAT???

The idea is not just to improve their regular season play but more importantly get ready for playoffs because teams are gonna trap Leafs in neutral zone especially if Lefs get scored on earlier in the game and are playing from behind
How can Leafs improve against the neutral zone trap?

Get better personnel (i.e. trades)

Better systems?

Better lines?

Better breakouts?

Better on the fly coaching ?

Better midgame adjustments?

WHAT???

The idea is not just to improve their regular season play but more importantly get ready for playoffs because teams are gonna trap Leafs in neutral zone especially if Lefs get scored on earlier in the game and are playing from behind

These are fair worries to have in my opinion.
The NHL playoffs are a different beast than the regular season...much less time and space.
I truly believe that the players on this leaf team are more than just teammates but genuine friends.
They want to win together, they want to back each other up, they want to learn and dominate the game together.

I think this year's playoff will show alot. The ability to overcome adversity and the work ethic/determination to win. Not just for the money they make but for the pride of winning

Marrner

May 27, 2017
These are fair worries to have in my opinion.
The NHL playoffs are a different beast than the regular season...much less time and space.
I truly believe that the players on this leaf team are more than just teammates but genuine friends.
They want to win together, they want to back each other up, they want to learn and dominate the game together.

I think this year's playoff will show alot. The ability to overcome adversity and the work ethic/determination to win. Not just for the money they make but for the pride of winning

Sorry, got off topic as I am very excited about this team and their future.
Neutral zone trap is a strategy. Like every strategy they have their advantages and weaknesses. The strategy only works if it's done correctly. Too me offense is ur best defense, the other team can't score if ur in the offensive zone. Hanging back and defending can only work for so long... I'll admit the islanders game was hard to watch. 2 periods of the leafs attempting to break out of their zone and failing. But I don't think that will happen everytime.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Man, one shutout and the sky is falling. I'm sure this will rear up again when the Leafs offer up a pity win to a team they stole its best player from they play on the 2nd game in two nights.
I don't think it's the shutout so much as the poor play, and the "2nd game in two nights" excuse doesn't hold much water since the Islanders had also played the night before.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Good news is Bruins don't play that game. 2 guys on forecheck. 2 guys centre and defense looking to pick up the stretch and 1 guy playing the boards. Every once in a while you can catch them on a breakaway with their 5 men in deep strategy.

That neutral zone trap game with no forecheck must be dealt with by calling a penalty for delay of game.
Yeah, I think a bigger problem for the Leafs is the hard forecheck by teams like Boston, Tampa, and the Islanders.

And if a team plays the neutral zone trap, and the Leafs (being the team with the puck) take a delay of game penalty for not trying to advance it, how does that help?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
the problem with the stretch passes I've found is that leafs often have players above opposition waiting at the opposition blue line (or close to) and the stretch passes from the Leafs D-core is often intercepted and then transitioned by opposition making turnovers into offense (most time odd-man) on the leafs.
That has always been a problem of the forwards on this team under Babcock, they are real lazy.

Lets face the simple fact, if they are too lazy to get open for a stretch pass, then how many of them will come back and break out together for the dump and case?

This is a tough league the NHL. Even a simple short pass is difficult to make.

This team wins games on talent, not hard work.

Babcock has to whip those lazy asses into shape, otherwise more uninspired playoff failures await this team.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
In the long run, the NHL may consider rule changes to break the trap.

After all, that is why we watch the hockey game, to see how well they can execute the trap!

Make it a rule that the goalie cannot go behind the icing line to stop the puck. This is radical, as all break outs then to start there, after the goalie stopped the puck behind the net.

Then again, do we pay to see the goalie go behind the net to stop the puck coming around the boards?

Maybe it is time to get rid of the trapazoid and forbid the goalie to go behind the icing line. Unless the team is on a power play then it would be permissible.

They must crack down more on the goalie equipment.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don't think it's the shutout so much as the poor play, and the "2nd game in two nights" excuse doesn't hold much water since the Islanders had also played the night before.

Which is why I brought up the team allowing the Islanders a 'pity victory.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Which is why I brought up the team allowing the Islanders a 'pity victory.
I didn't mention that, as I have no idea what you mean. Are you seriously suggesting that a professional team fighting for first overall and home ice advantage would deliberately lose the first game against their new star's former team, which is only 8 points behind them?

A 'pity play' is letting John Scott score in a meaningless all-star game, or just dumping the puck in when you get a shorthanded breakaway in the last minute of a 6-1 beer-league game.

Reactions: PromisedLand

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

After all, that is why we watch the hockey game, to see how well they can execute the trap!

Make it a rule that the goalie cannot go behind the icing line to stop the puck. This is radical, as all break outs then to start there, after the goalie stopped the puck behind the net.

Then again, do we pay to see the goalie go behind the net to stop the puck coming around the boards?

Maybe it is time to get rid of the trapazoid and forbid the goalie to go behind the icing line. Unless the team is on a power play then it would be permissible.

I think eliminating the trapezoid and allowing the goalie to play the puck anywhere behind the goal line would be better, as it would speed up the breakouts, and not allow as much time to set up the trap.

But what kind of rule change would you suggest to stop the trap? A two minute penalty if you get caught with all five players between the blue lines? Offhand, I can't think of anything else.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I think eliminating the trapezoid and allowing the goalie to play the puck anywhere behind the goal line would be better, as it would speed up the breakouts, and not allow as much time to set up the trap.

But what kind of rule change would you suggest to stop the trap? A two minute penalty if you get caught with all five players between the blue lines? Offhand, I can't think of anything else.
We have to remember why there is a trapezoid.

Lou Lamareillo's teams would play the trap. The other team cannot get through the neutral zone with the puck, therefore they shoot it in. Martin Brodeur plays the puck, and they are going the other way.

Well if they went from Brodeur playing the puck, to the trapezoid, the next step is to get rid of the trapezoid and it is a 50/50 ball as they say in football regarding a pass, of who gets the puck in a shoot in.

The problem with the NHL is unique compared to other sports like NFL or NBA. With the NHL, the coach only coaches defensive. Team defense really rules the NHL.

The league governors should be like the NFL or NBA, emphasize offense, and they always change the rules to do that. The coaches in the NHL won't, so it is up to the league to change things.

If there is rule where the goalie is forbidden to touch the puck below the icing line at even strength, then how would a team defend the shoot in or how to break out?

I think it could open up the game. It should create more space and more chances.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We have to remember why there is a trapezoid.

Lou Lamareillo's teams would play the trap. The other team cannot get through the neutral zone with the puck, therefore they shoot it in. Martin Brodeur plays the puck, and they are going the other way.

Well if they went from Brodeur playing the puck, to the trapezoid, the next step is to get rid of the trapezoid and it is a 50/50 ball as they say in football regarding a pass, of who gets the puck in a shoot in.

The problem with the NHL is unique compared to other sports like NFL or NBA. With the NHL, the coach only coaches defensive. Team defense really rules the NHL.

The league governors should be like the NFL or NBA, emphasize offense, and they always change the rules to do that. The coaches in the NHL won't, so it is up to the league to change things.

If there is rule where the goalie is forbidden to touch the puck below the icing line at even strength, then how would a team defend the shoot in or how to break out?

I think it could open up the game. It should create more space and more chances.
I see your point, although I think Brodeur is retired. ;-) The team getting the puck dumped into their end wouldn't have as effective a trap, but the team doing the dumping would have more time to set up a trap. I'm not sure which team would benefit more.

I can't comment on the NBA, as I have no interest in basketball, but football, soccer, and baseball all stress defence as well as offence. After all, "offence wins games, but defence wins championships".

Other than the goalie/goal line issue, what other rule change would you propose?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is really from left field this idea but what about icing as a 2 minute penalty for delay of game and a 2 minute delay of game penalty if 4 guys on same team in the neutral zone at any time.
It would eliminate the stretch pass as it would be deemed too risky. Teams that mount sustained offensive pressure would be rewarded. Game would simplify in your end as teams move back to traditional breakout and forecheck systems. Neutral zone play would be more limited as offensive pressure would be key to winning more games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd rather they let the goalie play everywhere, but start calling the interference they continuously get away with. They block passage behind the net, and dramatize any contact.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I see your point, although I think Brodeur is retired. ;-) The team getting the puck dumped into their end wouldn't have as effective a trap, but the team doing the dumping would have more time to set up a trap. I'm not sure which team would benefit more.

I can't comment on the NBA, as I have no interest in basketball, but football, soccer, and baseball all stress defence as well as offence. After all, "offence wins games, but defence wins championships".

Other than the goalie/goal line issue, what other rule change would you propose?

It's just as same in basketball, comes playoffs, teams play much tighter defense.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's just as same in basketball, comes playoffs, teams play much tighter defense.

Would be nice if Leafs can play such tight defense in the playoffs as well.

Looking at how this team plays defense in regular season though has me worried a tad bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad