Leafs All-Time Team Vote: Final Results

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
And the roster for the Leafs All-Time Team as voted by HFBoards Leafs is complete. Here is the roster:

Mahovlich-Sundin-Conacher
Clark-Gilmour-Armstrong
Jackson-Sittler-McDonald
Andreychuk-Keon-Vaive

Salming-Horton
Clancy-Day
Kaberle-Thomson

Bower
Broda​

Coaches

Punch Imlach
Pat Quinn
Hap Day
Part Burns

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And the roster for the Leafs All-Time Team as voted by HFBoards Leafs is complete. Here is the roster:

Mahovlich-Sundin-Conacher
Clark-Gilmour-Armstrong
Jackson-Sittler-McDonald
Andreychuk-Keon-Vaive

Salming-Horton
Clancy-Day
Kaberle-Thomson

Bower
Broda​

Coaches TBD:

2 of 3 Leafs all time greats Syl Apps and Ted Teeder Kennedy didn't make the fans voting team. The captained the Leafs to 8 Stanley Cups.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
My thoughts:

The voting was heavily skewed to modern day players. As a result guys who played before the modern era were underrated unless the choice was very obvious (Conacher, Mahovlich, Broda, Bower). The defense looks as good as it does because the Leafs haven't had many defensemen to write home about in the modern era save Salming.

I know people aren't too happy with the way things shook out, especially with the centres. Honestly all of those guys would be number #1's on most teams in their prime. That Apps and Kennedy didn't make the team is just how the chips fell. At the end of the day, guys who deserved to be on this team are most likely already on a Leafs all time team roster made by people with more credentials than us.

It was a fun exercise, and reading about past guys in their prime from older posters was truly a treat. Thanks to everyone for participating. Now let's look to the future and enjoy our Leafs Centennial Season. :handclap:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My thoughts:

The voting was heavily skewed to modern day players. As a result guys who played before the modern era were underrated unless the choice was very obvious (Conacher, Mahovlich, Broda, Bower). The defense looks as good as it does because the Leafs haven't had many defensemen to write home about in the modern era save Salming.

I know people aren't too happy with the way things shook out, especially with the centres. Honestly all of those guys would be number #1's on most teams in their prime. That Apps and Kennedy didn't make the team is just how the chips fell. At the end of the day, guys who deserved to be on this team are most likely already on a Leafs all time team roster made by people with more credentials than us.

It was a fun exercise, and reading about past guys in their prime from older posters was truly a treat. Thanks to everyone for participating. Now let's look to the future and enjoy our Leafs Centennial Season. :handclap:

This was a interesting test and thanks for doing it.

I bet with this being our centennial season that Leafs are going to be promoting their former legends this year and younger posters are going to get a lot of insight into our storied past and greats.

If you did this same thing next summer that the results would be vastly different with fans now having a greater knowledge of past greats after being honoured this season making them more well known to all age groups.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for organizing, it was fun.

I would have inserted Apps, Kennedy and Kelly into the lineup by placing them in the wings, at the very least. They can replace Clark, Andreychuk and Vaive. Brewer would replace Kaberle. Punch Imlach and Hap Day behind the bench. That's a lineup I would be proud of.

If we did this again in 10 years, I hope the lineup would be very different. ;)

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for organizing this. I enjoyed the discussion about the history of our favorite franchise.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Pat Burns absolutely should net get voted in here. He was only the Leaf coach for 4 seasons, the second half of which was a disappointment.

Dick Irvin was the Leafs coach for 9 years, and took them to the Stanley Cup finals 7 times, winning once.

Punch Imlach and Hap Day coached the two Leaf dynasties, so they obviously should be included.

Pat Quinn was a very good coach for a good amount of time, so I would give him the 4th spot.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Hap Day. Stanley Cups trump all, IMO.

Hap Day won five Stanley Cups in the decade of the forties including the Cup of 1942. That was the greatest comeback in Stanley Cup history, from 0-3 down. The turnaround was a coaching decision, when Day had the nerve to bench scoring star Gordie Drillon and another player. Drillon was having an all star season and had earlier won the Art Ross Trophy. That was a huge decision. The Leafs came back to win. A tough but successful move bY the number one coach in Leafs history.

Imlach won four Cups in a bit longer tenure and had great difficulty with some of his stars. He seems to me a clear number two on this list.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Funny that the guy who is probably the greatest Leaf of all time isn't on the Leafs All-Time Team. Which is strange because some other old-timers made it...

This list is heavily skewed by the age of the posters and a general lack of Leafs knowledge.

Complete waste of time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Funny that the guy who is probably the greatest Leaf of all time isn't on the Leafs All-Time Team. Which is strange because some other old-timers made it...

This list is heavily skewed by the age of the posters and a general lack of Leafs knowledge.

Complete waste of time.

There are players outside the ACC immortalized in bronze on Legends Row as greatest Leafs ever that didn't make the Leaf fans All-time team.

There are banners in the ACC also of honoured players.

Toronto Maple Leafs Honored Numbers:
1 Johnny Bower (1959-70)
1 Turk Broda (1937-52)
4 Hap Day (1926-37)
4 Red Kelly (1959-67)
7 King Clancy (1931-37)
7 Tim Horton (1950-70)
9 Charlie Conacher (1930-38)
9 Ted Kennedy (1943-57)
10 Syl Apps (1937-48)
10 George Armstrong (1950-71)
17 Wendel Clark (1985-94, 1996-98, 2000)
21 Borje Salming (1973-89)
27 Frank Mahovlich (1957-68)
27 Darryl Sittler (1971-82)

With most of these in the HHOF now but not on a Fans vote list.

Very surprising outcome.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This roster confirms that Leafs fans are made up of all ages. I'm not really surprised by the outcome considering the age of the franchise. Newer fans apparently did not want to do a little research before voting.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
With most of these in the HHOF now but not on a Fans vote list.

Very surprising outcome.

How any all-time Leafs list can be made without Apps and Kennedy is beyond me.

Apps was considered by more than a few people to be the best player in the world when he played.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How any all-time Leafs list can be made without Apps and Kennedy is beyond me.

Apps was considered by more than a few people to be the best player in the world when he played.

I personally think that Leafs top line should be written in stone.

Apps -- Keon -- Kennedy

moving former captains and legends to the wing even to show respect, as those are widely considered by most experts as the 3 best Leafs of all time. They combined for 12 Stanley Cups and are the best of the best and even putting them as #2 or #3C doesn't do them justice.

Any all-time team should start with the 2nd line. IMO

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I personally think that Leafs top line should be written in stone.

Apps -- Keon -- Kennedy

moving former captains and legends to the wing even to show respect, as those are widely considered by most experts as the 3 best Leafs of all time. They combined for 12 Stanley Cups and are the best of the best and even putting them as #2 or #3C doesn't do them justice.

Any all-time team should start with the 2nd line. IMO

Apps is the best of that bunch, so he should be at centre. Also, I'm not sure Keon and Kennedy are more deserving of top line spots than Frank Mahovlich and Charlie Conacher, or even Busher Jackson.

But hey, if we're going to vote in Pat Burns, there may as well be some undeserving players too.

During Irvin's career, they included coaches in the post season all start selections. They didn't have the Jack Adams award, but all star voting was basically the same thing. Dick Irvin was a 5-time second team coach, at a time when Lester Patrcik was the first team coach pretty much automatically. So, Irvin was an all star coach for more seasons that Burns was even here...

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Pat Burns absolutely should net get voted in here. He was only the Leaf coach for 4 seasons, the second half of which was a disappointment.

Dick Irvin was the Leafs coach for 9 years, and took them to the Stanley Cup finals 7 times, winning once.

Punch Imlach and Hap Day coached the two Leaf dynasties, so they obviously should be included.

Pat Quinn was a very good coach for a good amount of time, so I would give him the 4th spot.

Pat Burns did quite a bit with very little talent. The upset of the Red Wings is on par with Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson. I didn't vote for him because I hated his style of play. It was boring. But he was a winner.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Pat Burns did quite a bit with very little talent. The upset of the Red Wings is on par with Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson. I didn't vote for him because I hated his style of play. It was boring. But he was a winner.

He did well for 2 seasons....

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Fun topic. Thanks for doing this. My only issues are Vaive and Andrechuck, both very good players but surely they do not rank with the likes of Teeder, and Apps amongst many others. ( I am going by ability not just position)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Fun topic. Thanks for doing this. My only issues are Vaive and Andrechuck, both very good players but surely they do not rank with the likes of Teeder, and Apps amongst many others. ( I am going by ability not just position)

Well, you're right that Vaive and Andreychuk don't belong, but those aren't the only issues. Clark and McDonald don't really belong either, nor does Gilmour. One of Sundin or Sittler need to go to make room for Apps and Kennedy as well. Kaberle should be replaced, ideally with Brewer, and the goalies should be flipped.

Mr Hockey*

Well, you're right that Vaive and Andreychuk don't belong, but those aren't the only issues. Clark and McDonald don't really belong either, nor does Gilmour. One of Sundin or Sittler need to go to make room for Apps and Kennedy as well. Kaberle should be replaced, ideally with Brewer, and the goalies should be flipped.

who best all time d'men pairings, Mccabe/kaberle? :sarcasm:

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Thanks for doing this, TT. But it might be better if a mod would delete all these threads to stop the embarassment...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad