Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Likely due to him having the added leverage of being able to go UFA in August if the Leafs didn't do that for him.
Add in that the Leafs paid something to get him, ya, buddy had all the leverage. With that said, no doubt Leafs "talked" to his people before acquiring him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you say so.

I personally think anyone who isn't helping the team win now should be traded for ringers. Good players, like Guentzel, to come in and help the team immediately. You know why Carolina traded for Guentzel and not Webber?

Because they're a real contender who wants to win now.
He will be helping the team in Florida.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Sure, and when the Leafs go out early again this year you can cling on to that excuse like Linus to his security blanket.

Keep telling yourself it's ok they lost again because the future looks so much brighter now that they got Webber in the system.

Go Leafs Go.
Whereas you can cling to the belief that if we had used that 6th rnd pick to trade for Crosby we'd be champions.

Get real. A GMs job is to use assets for the betterment of the club he represents and Tre did just that.

Do you enjoy hating your so called favorite team or just get off on believing you know better than the professionals?

Seriously, I can get along with damn near every hockey fan. Whatever club they support. But you seem to just enjoy constantly being a gloomy gus about ALL things.

Do I think every move we make is the right one? Absolutely not. But, then again, I'm not batting 1.000 either.

Opinions are fine. Beliefs are fine. But when you are 100% the grass is greener on the other side I gotta think you're either doing this to get a rise out of people (in which case congratulations, mission accomplished), or you are SEERs backup account.

Sorry admins if I'm breaking any rules here, ban me if you gotta. Im just so freaking sick of this (or these I suppose) accounts.

I'll just go ahead and block another one, there'll be no more responses from me to this poseur.

Go Leafs Go!

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Nice to see this wrapped up..will be fun if he gets a game just to see how he looks with the pros
Great motivation for him as well to push hard this summer. Maybe meet the Leafs development staff and work on his skating/explosiveness/edges etc.

Good.

He's been basically defending an NHLer in Celebrini all year in practice, so he may be nearer to ready than we gave him credit for.
Probably not by much but it certainly doesn't hurt!

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Whereas you can cling to the belief that if we had used that 6th rnd pick to trade for Crosby we'd be champions.

Get real. A GMs job is to use assets for the betterment of the club he represents and Tre did just that.

Do you enjoy hating your so called favorite team or just get off on believing you know better than the professionals?

Seriously, I can get along with damn near every hockey fan. Whatever club they support. But you seem to just enjoy constantly being a gloomy gus about ALL things.

Do I think every move we make is the right one? Absolutely not. But, then again, I'm not batting 1.000 either.

Opinions are fine. Beliefs are fine. But when you are 100% the grass is greener on the other side I gotta think you're either doing this to get a rise out of people (in which case congratulations, mission accomplished), or you are SEERs backup account.

Sorry admins if I'm breaking any rules here, ban me if you gotta. Im just so freaking sick of this (or these I suppose) accounts.

I'll just go ahead and block another one, there'll be no more responses from me to this poseur.

Go Leafs Go!

How's that view looking down from the cross?

Fans not fanning the way other fans think they should fan. Then judging other commenters for not meeting their arbitrary expectations of what a fan should be. The Leafs do the minimum they can every year to give the appearance of contending.

But it's my fault for not lowering expectations with each passing failure for my hometown team.

Reactions: theTTC

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Really, the Leafs do the MINIMUM every year of giving the appearance of a contender?

What word do you not understand? Minimum, appearance, or contender. This team spend more than every other team (cap, LTIR, coaches minor leagues, facilities, development).

Wouldn't the MINIMUM be something less than spending the most?

As for APPEARANCE of a CONTENDER, I don't even know what this means. They are a contender every year so they also appear to be one. Every year, eight to ten t ams could win th cup. We are one of those teams almost every year.

Since I picked three words from YOUR post could you expand on your comment? Let's start with MINIMUM.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Really, the Leafs do the MINIMUM every year of giving the appearance of a contender?

What word do you not understand? Minimum, appearance, or contender. This team spend more than every other team (cap, LTIR, coaches minor leagues, facilities, development).

Wouldn't the MINIMUM be something less than spending the most?

As for APPEARANCE of a CONTENDER, I don't even know what this means. They are a contender every year so they also appear to be one. Every year, eight to ten t ams could win th cup. We are one of those teams almost every year.

Since I picked three words from YOUR post could you expand on your comment? Let's start with MINIMUM.

You know what, you're right, I was completely way out in left field on my assessment.

They don't just run the same team back every year surrounding the core with different plugs each offseason. They do go out and get the best player(s) available every deadline instead of wasting draft picks on even more plugs who won't make a difference. And they do max out the salary cap every year by paying four forwards half the cap.

You are absolutely correct, that's not doing the minimal at all, it's just gross incompetence.

My bad.

Reactions: ER89

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Seriously? Our management was this stupid???
What is so stupid? They send Robertson or Knies to the Marlies for game 82, sign the deal with Webber, and let the kid play that last game. Then, everyone's available for the playoffs. Since Webber is not joining the team until Sunday, he was only going to get in at most 2 games. Unlike Knies, I don't think the Leafs see him playing a role in the playoffs.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You know what, you're right, I was completely way out in left field on my assessment.

They don't just run the same team back every year surrounding the core with different plugs each offseason. They do go out and get the best player(s) available every deadline instead of wasting draft picks on even more plugs who won't make a difference. And they do max out the salary cap every year by paying four forwards half the cap.

You are absolutely correct, that's not doing the minimal at all, it's just gross incompetence.

My bad.
See, now this seems sarcastic but not substantive.

Look at what Arizona does. Wouldn't that be the minimum? Seriously, out chose the words and now I want to understand what's behind them.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

My bad.
Finnally, you realize that. You still dress it in sarcasm, but the first step is admitting to it.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What is so stupid? They send Robertson or Knies to the Marlies for game 82, sign the deal with Webber, and let the kid play that last game. Then, everyone's available for the playoffs. Since Webber is not joining the team until Sunday, he was only going to get in at most 2 games. Unlike Knies, I don't think the Leafs see him playing a role in the playoffs.
The fact that they didn't even plan it out beforehand. One call to avoid what looks like a misunderstanding.

If they were project managers working for me, they would be fired.

It's not what they could or could not do, it's the fact they did nothing to sort everything out beforehand. That's not how an organization operates, at least not a competent one.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why do you believe that they didn't sort out everything beforehand? He's signed...

Why do you think they need to send someone to the AHL?
Well, he is signed now as there is no cap come playoff time - but they obviously flubbed whatever plan they had for him originally.

Like this.

Report: Maple Leafs sign Boston University D Cade Webber to entry-level contract

There was still cap considerations, so they would have had to send someone down to the AHL or waive someone to be cap compliant. And with only 12 healthy forwards.....that wasn't happening.

All of this was easily foreseeable. Because had they signed him to a future dated contract with a PTO right off the bat, none of the speculation/confusion happens.

Water under the bridge now.

so who are the Leafs sending to AHL?
No one. No need

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, he is signed now as there is no cap come playoff time - but they obviously flubbed whatever plan they had for him originally.

Like this.

Report: Maple Leafs sign Boston University D Cade Webber to entry-level contract

There was still cap considerations, so they would have had to send someone down to the AHL or waive someone to be cap compliant. And with only 12 healthy forwards.....that wasn't happening.

All of this was easily foreseeable. Because had they signed him to a future dated contract with a PTO right off the bat, none of the speculation/confusion happens.

Water under the bridge now.

No one. No need

Nah.. I don't think anything was flubbed at all... He's basically signed for next season.... that was probably the plan all along.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad