Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you look at the Rask vs Reimer matchup in the first round, there was the sense that it was like a thoroughbred going up against the little engine that could, that if Rask played subpar and Reimer played out of his mind, they'd meet somewhere in between and we'd have a chance.

With a goalie prospect like Bernier, the Leafs are arming themselves with a guy who should be in that Rask category of goalies. He's a little small, but he's a technically sound, athletically superior goalie with a ton of pedigree. If they both play hungry, the Leafs win. I feel like the Leafs management are hoping Bernier prevails though.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I know you guys are mixed, but most LA fans know what we gave up, and I am pretty sure your management knows what you just added. There's no doubt in our minds that you just added a #1 goaltender to your roster.

Bernier is one of the most technically sound goaltenders in the league. It is an extremely rare occurrence to see him out of position, unlike Quick. He doesn't rely on speed, athleticism, or reflexes as much as he does on his high hockey IQ and positioning. He thinks the game really well and just always knows where to be. That's not to say that he can't make the dramatic athletic save when he has to either. He is extremely good and smart at playing the puck (lightyears ahead of Quick), and he plays with swagger and attitude, but never loses his cool and ALWAYS looks absolutely calm in net. He makes everything seem easy because he shows no emotion. His biggest weakness is shootouts, because it makes him second guess those technical aspects of his game versus someone like Quick who plays on raw reflexes. However, he is decent at breakaways.

You guys don't know it yet, but your goaltending search is over.

"I was very happy -- Dean is a man of his word," Bernier told ESPN.com. "I felt he would keep it, and he did. All the teams in the mix were great teams, but I have to tell you I'm so happy that it's Toronto."

"Obviously I'm very excited," Bernier told ESPN.com. "Going to Toronto I think is a great challenge. It's great. They've got a really good young team, and hopefully I can fit in and have some success with them."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...-traded-los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs
That's good that is probably Reimer's worst aspect of the game.

It's ok we don't know what it is like to win a shootout anyways so we won't notice...

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure how I feel. If we did this a year ago, I'd love it. Mind you, I really didnt like Scrivens and Frattin has no place since we have wingers so I suppose I really like the deal value wise. But I really like at how Reimer played this year. Should be a great 1-2 though and Bernier has huge potential.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
I personally hate this movie. Why not use these guys for the real problem we have on this team? (Top dman/#1c) I just don't understand.

If we cannot solidify our defense, Bernier will not survive in Toronto. Reimer will still be our #1.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I didn't like the idea of spending assets for Bernier, but I figured our first and/or better young assets will be involved. Hard to argue now that we're just giving up a second a Frattin to pretty much guarantee we'll have quality goaltending for the forseeable future, even if it wasn't a pressing need.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I personally hate this movie. Why not use these guys for the real problem we have on this team? (Top dman/#1c) I just don't understand.

If we cannot solidify our defense, Bernier will not survive in Toronto. Reimer will still be our #1.

What Top dman/#1c can you get for the equivalent package?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Matt Frattin would be a very minor piece in a deal for a top D-man or centre, not having Matt Frattin or one of the 2014 or 2015 2nd round picks available pieces to deal doesn't hinder the Leafs ability to make another trade to fill those spots, if such a deal arises.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
Matt Frattin would be a very minor piece in a deal for a top D-man or centre, not having Matt Frattin or one of the 2014 or 2015 2nd round picks available pieces to deal doesn't hinder the Leafs ability to make another trade to fill those spots, if such a deal arises.

I guess you are right, I'm not too educated when it comes to trades, but getting Bernier is really pointless imo and giving them 500k ontop. I understand the collapse in game 7 may have been the nail in the coffin for Nonis but can we really put the blame all on Reimer? It was his first nhl playoffs, I'm sure nerves had set in those last 10 mins. Our D was brutal, did not help Reimer at all. That's our big problem

The only positive I can take from this is Reimer playing much better for next season since he does have competition now. Beriner played infront of a solid defensive team, I am not sold on him. Reimer faced tons of shots on goal (I believe in the first rd Reim faced the most shots than the other goalies) he is #1 and he will most likely prove Nonis wrong. He has the entire summer to improve on his glove and rebounds.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I guess you are right, I'm not too educated when it comes to trades, but getting Bernier is really pointless imo and giving them 500k ontop. I understand the collapse in game 7 may have been the nail in the coffin for Nonis but can we really put the blame all on Reimer? It was his first nhl playoffs, I'm sure nerves had set in those last 10 mins. Our D was brutal, did not help Reimer at all. That's our big problem

The only positive I can take from this is Reimer playing much better for next season since he does have competition now. Beriner played infront of a solid defensive team, I am not sold on him. Reimer faced tons of shots on goal (I believe in the first rd Reim faced the most shots than the other goalies) he is #1 and he will most likely prove Nonis wrong. He has the entire summer to improve on his glove and rebounds.

Think of it this way:

We just assured ourselves quality goaltending for the forseeable future in the event of injury or unexpectedly poor play. If they both do well and earn the number one spot, we can trade one for a package similar to what we acquired Bernier for.

We may not have improved our goaltending, but just made it a whole hell of a lot more reliable, and we didn't really hurt ourselves in anyway to do it. The major assets required to fill our more pressing needs are still in place.

leafstilldeath*

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nonis you moron. You give up Frattin? Frattin is a stud player. Hits like a train, shoots a rocket and is a gritty player. I am pissed off

We get a goalie who isn't proven yet and we give up Frattin and Scrivens and 2nd round pick WOW.

I am lost for words. Nonis you are a jackass.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
Think of it this way:

We just assured ourselves quality goaltending for the forseeable future in the event of injury or unexpectedly poor play. If they both do well and earn the number one spot, we can trade one for a package similar to what we acquired Bernier for.

We may not have improved our goaltending, but just made it a whole hell of a lot more reliable, and we didn't really hurt ourselves in anyway to do it. The majority assets required to fill our more pressing needs are still in place.

I hope you're right, Joey!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I personally love this deal,Frattin is a tweener (40 point ceiling IMO ) and I never liked Scrivens. Bernier give us another potential #1 C and when all is said and done the better one will be extended long term while the other is dealt for maximal assets.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nonis you moron. You give up Frattin? Frattin is a stud player. Hits like a train, shoots a rocket and is a gritty player. I am pissed off

We get a goalie who isn't proven yet and we give up Frattin and Scrivens and 2nd round pick WOW.

I am lost for words. Nonis you are a jackass.

Exaggerate much?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Your argument is sv%? We've been thru this before, his numbers were inflated because of the system in place here in Toronto. How about "the eye test" has Reimer ever looked like a competent #1? Not to me, and most importantly not to the Leafs coaching/management team.

His numbers were inflated in our system? Our league-worst shots against system? The system that led the league in turnovers? That system? Uh huh. And don't even bring shot distance up, because that's a complete myth.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
His numbers were inflated in our system? Our league-worst shots against system? The system that led the league in turnovers? That system? Uh huh. And don't even bring shot distance up, because that's a complete myth.

The argument sort of makes sense until you realize it implies a better goalie would have better numbers in the same system. Are people expecting a .935 and 2.00gaa with this defence?

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
People seem to forget that Matt is now 25, turning 26 in 6 months. He really isn't much of a prospect anymore. What you see is likely what you get. IMO - hes a 15-20 goal scorer, 2nd-3rd liner, that struggles with injuries. Easily signable via free agency. The reason LA coveted him is his cheap cap hit for what he may be able to deliver, and he fits the system well. Great trade and I'm looking forward to seeing what Bernier can do in Toronto.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Jonathon Quick is listed at 6'1 and he was the best goalie in hockey last year. 6'0 is plenty tall enough IMO this is almost irrelevant. Bottom line is his height is good.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why do I like this trade?

Matt Frattin's knee. He had a meniscus tear and doctors removed cartlidge from his knee. The meniscus is worse than an ACL tear, in the sense of career killer or a major drop in play. Although ACL is a longer re-hab and return to sport is longer. Its the meniscus tear that shortens the Career of a player. Meniscus can not be replaced or reconstructed like the ACL tear, in some cases like Matt Frattin, doctors removed part of his meniscus from this knee. That meniscus supports and cushions the knee joint under stress. MEniscus removal also creates Bone on Bone friction in the knee joint. Arthritis as well. He has already has issues with it post surgury.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Jonathon Quick is listed at 6'1 and he was the best goalie in hockey last year. 6'0 is plenty tall enough IMO this is almost irrelevant. Bottom line is his height is good.

I was just about to say this

Bernier's 6'0
Reimers 6'2!

2 inches is not the difference between "small" and "massive"

Ultimately we've got a better chance of a goalie panning out and we gave up a third liner a back up goalie that is no longer needed and a 2nd rounder in a couple of years, which is easily replaceable in a minor trade!

There definitely no pleasing some people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia