Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5 Canucks 2

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It can also spark your team in spots when the overall team energy is low like back to back games or when playing an inferior opponent.

The goal should always be to become as balanced as possible, so that no matter which way the game turns (high scoring, low scoring, physical, overtime), your roster has the ability to adapt and thrive in that environment.
Most important IMO is to stand up for each other when you're playing rivals that you are likely to face in the playoffs, like Boston. That's why I was so disgusted after the Boston game, if you allow pukes like Marchand and the rest of the Bruins to feel like they can do whatever they want with impunity you give them a level of confidence and swagger that makes beating them in the playoffs an uphill battle. Let them know they're in for a dogfight, that's the message you need to send, not just to Boston but to every team in the league so that word gets around, but especially to teams like Boston, and Tampa Bay.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The NHL is sending their most lucrative property, the team that draws the most eyeballs to screens, the team whose games generally sell out when they're the visitor in any NA rink over to Sweden.

It's a nice trip for the Bud's and their wives, but the timing of this trip from a marketing standpoint is just so NHL and the BettMan.

I actually wouldn’t be shocked if other teams complained we haven’t had to do it yet

Reactions: WillNy29

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Think Noah Gregor came out ahead in the 1 v 1 with Sam Lafferty, and we learned anyone in the NHL and AHL is an auto upgrade on Ryan Reaves.
I think Treliving had the right idea but picked the wrong player. Unfortunately, it looks like Reaves is going to be Simmonds 2.0

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Treliving had the right idea but picked the wrong player. Unfortunately, it looks like Reaves is going to be Simmonds 2.0

Simmonds was really useful for us and went through a lot of battles here. I think Reaves has proven to be the wrong guy, wrong age, maybe trying to be more of an assistant coach friend to the stars than a willing contributor.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Most important IMO is to stand up for each other when you're playing rivals that you are likely to face in the playoffs, like Boston. That's why I was so disgusted after the Boston game, if you allow pukes like Marchand and the rest of the Bruins to feel like they can do whatever they want with impunity you give them a level of confidence and swagger that makes beating them in the playoffs an uphill battle. Let them know they're in for a dogfight, that's the message you need to send, not just to Boston but to every team in the league so that word gets around, but especially to teams like Boston, and Tampa Bay.
Couldn't agree more. Next time the Leafs are in Boston there is unfinished business 100%.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I've said this all along when it comes to Shelly. He has a strong base of hockey knowledge, he just needed a team to follow him and not a bunch of individuals who have run to the manager to complain when he dressed them down for lackluster performances, hopefully those days are gone forever, over a long time ago!

There is no evidence that ever happened.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope you're not implying that's why they lost. The Leafs played with their best two players displaying a disappearing act you'd likely see on the Vegas strip and 6 PP advantages to 2. Yet they perservered and won despite Demko's terrific goaltending. Samsonov didn't have to make a big high danger save all night whereas Demko made some sublime saves.
I’m saying that they are a mirage if they’ve won 10 games playing like they did last night. The played slow and lost most foot races to the Leafs D, which seems almost impossible to do. Their 2 period was one of the worst periods I’ve seen a team play in a long time. If that’s who they are they’ll get a good draft position.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The ads and the page crashing for me is an absolute joke here. Worst site I visit, so disappointing nobody seems to care.

I've complained about this many times. I care. At least clicking on a forum link doesn't bring me to an advertiser's site anymore. I literally reported that to Google because I think it was on purpose which is basically stealing from advertisers.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Boys played their most complete game and like a pact since the TB series.
Nucks is a very good team and the fact that the boys shut them down is a huge positive.
Beating Demko 5 times is not an easy task. And shutting the Nucks down in 5v5 is very hard to do bc they pounce on odd man rushes and opposing team mistakes.
Overall, a great game for the boys. Can’t wait till Lilly and Timmins are back, AM and MM start doing their thing.

Reactions: Zacman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The ads and the page crashing for me is an absolute joke here. Worst site I visit, so disappointing nobody seems to care.

I've complained about this many times. I care. At least clicking on a forum link doesn't bring me to an advertiser's site anymore. I literally reported that to Google because I think it was on purpose which is basically stealing from advertisers.

Whenever I see those adds, I just click the top and tell Google it is spam and they will not show it anymore

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ad blockers, or Brave browser.

Brave also blocks ads on youtube.

This is good information, I'll have to check it out because Youtube has become unwatchable lately with the number of ads, the volume level is even worse. I have Brave on my phone, never tried it on my desktop which is where I watch pretty much all TV, etc. Thanks again.

Jun 27, 2005
Those of you talking about standing up for your teammates are the same people who would have lost their minds if we had lost 2-0 last night because of stupid penalties after clean hits.

• Haha
Reactions: Mckay and ACC1224

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Continue without supporting us works for me. I tried allowing ads to support the site but was bombarded with them so I chose to block them. Many of the ads weren't even in English.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jun 27, 2005
This is good information, I'll have to check it out because Youtube has become unwatchable lately with the number of ads, the volume level is even worse. I have Brave on my phone, never tried it on my desktop which is where I watch pretty much all TV, etc. Thanks again.
You can still block ads on Youtube with Chrome. Look up Tampermonkey.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Great game by the Leafs...we got a steal on out PTO pickup. He is a gamer...
Robertson continues to play a simpler game and him a Domi are forming a great dual.
Reilly is playing like a top 10 d man in the league and is having himself a Norris candidate season.
Nylander is on fire and his line had a great game. Old man Gio shows what true leadership is all about...what a beast.
Let's keep up the team support for each other.
The in game adjustments were great and I know that our assistant coaches voices are being heard.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
It's just what the doctor ordered for those two. A big fast puck retrieval guy a la Hyman, difference is, with Buster the Leafs had to wait for his goal scoring to develop. Young Mr. Knies already knows how.

I've said this all along when it comes to Shelly. He has a strong base of hockey knowledge, he just needed a team to follow him and not a bunch of individuals who have run to the manager to complain when he dressed them down for lackluster performances, hopefully those days are gone forever, over a long time ago!

The good news is, if you ever did, you'd probably never ever go back.

JT had a real good night, I don't think he's looked so good on his skates since early in his career. The guy is still a bull along the boards, not many can take a puck away from him. That little pass to Nylander was poetry, a real work of art, a quick look and right on to Nylanders tape.

The NHL is sending their most lucrative property, the team that draws the most eyeballs to screens, the team whose games generally sell out when they're the visitor in any NA rink over to Sweden.

It's a nice trip for the Bud's and their wives, but the timing of this trip from a marketing standpoint is just so NHL and the BettMan.

Yeah, I don't know what JT did over the summer but he's skating like a champ again. Maybe he finally got that Adderall prescription filled. I dunno but it's working.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad