Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4, Pens 0 - Because Someone Has To Start a PGT for this Mess

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They were 5-1-1 in the last 7 games before tonight. They weren’t any more limited then than now. Sure the Leafs needed this game, but that was a pretty sorry effort by the Pens.

The Pens won the games they should've won and lost the ones one would've figured they'd lose over the last 7.

I'm not complaining.

I'm also not sure what four of the wins have to do with the caliber of teams they'd see in the playoffs.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
-Shultz. SC honeymoon is long over. Either move him down/or out before it goes back to the Oilers days
-Murray. Was almost a wall like against Tampa early on, but then, unscreened shots started to go in. Not that it mattered with no goal support, but seems like he got broken tonight to anoint a new clear #1. Be careful how that works in the playoffs.
-Sid. Once the team got down, so came out the no look passes to Tampa players sticks.
-Sully, some of the worst line adjustments to get the team going. Zucker-Sid-Horny has and will never work bud.

=Geno, not ill, and skated around doing stuff..

+Give that team some hope they don't do much at the trade deadline.They either miss it or get swept out of it, imagine a juicy first round against the Panthers?

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
The Leafs came out in a playoff-type atmosphere and nobody on the team was ready to match it. I don't think Sully challenged them enough pregame because this could've been a really good litmus test.

++Hornqvist
+McCann
+Lafferty

==Murray

------Malkin
-------Simon
--------Schultz

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
They were 5-1-1 in the last 7 games before tonight. They weren’t any more limited then than now. Sure the Leafs needed this game, but that was a pretty sorry effort by the Pens.

But the underlying numbers and quality of play has noticeably degraded. The same way that so many of us were so optimistic early on in the season when the underlying play was there but the goals weren't...the inverse has been going on for a month.

Not having Marino and Dumo is huge, mind you.

I think this result is going to be a wake-up call. So that's good.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Did Simon get a shift in the 3rd? If he's not hurt then I dont understand it.

He is what he is. Most games, he'll have a shift or two where he looks like he belongs in a top-6 role. Some games he has zero shifts where he looks like a top-6 player.

He didnt look any different tonight. So why the switch with Hornqvist? And why is it always either Simon or Hornqvist on L1?

Would be nice to see if Tanev might be a fit, just because you know, a fully functional 1st line that can do damage offensively on a nightly basis might be important in the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
+++++++++++++ I missed this one.

Even so, who cares?

With how they have played pretty much all year I don't care if they looked like a team of Forrest Gumps and Rainmen. They have earned a ton of slack for a bad game or even a few in a row.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Leafs came out in a playoff-type atmosphere and nobody on the team was ready to match it. I don't think Sully challenged them enough pregame because this could've been a really good litmus test.

++Hornqvist
+McCann
+Lafferty

==Murray

------Malkin
-------Simon
--------Schultz

Dude your avatar both impresses and scares the crap outta me.

Thought Malkin was better than you said. Though everyone was pretty bad.

Reactions: enviSAGE

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm trying to think of a good post that will send some posters off the deep end here, which shouldn't be hard to do. I think if I go with a Murray post that will be too easy.... hmmm.... lots of options available....

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
The Leafs playing their best IMHO are the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

I would agree. Their defense is a mix of terrible and inexperience and they have no depth up front. If they run into Boston in the first round, I don't see how they get by them. The Bergeron line will shut down the Matthews line, and after that, aside from Tavares, the Bruins are better up and down the rest of the lineup.

One of the marks of a good team is that they can beat you a bunch of different ways. When the Pens were winning their cups, they could outscore you for the win, they could grind you down for a low scoring win, they could beat you in a special teams battle and their goalies would steal one now and again. The Leafs can only get wins if their top six are clicking.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would agree. Their defense is a mix of terrible and inexperience and they have no depth up front. If they run into Boston in the first round, I don't see how they get by them. The Bergeron line will shut down the Matthews line, and after that, aside from Tavares, the Bruins are better up and down the rest of the lineup.

One of the marks of a good team is that they can beat you a bunch of different ways. When the Pens were winning their cups, they could outscore you for the win, they could grind you down for a low scoring win, they could beat you in a special teams battle and their goalies would steal one now and again. The Leafs can only get wins if their top six are clicking.

Right now, with Dumo and Marino, I've got Boston and Tampa as the two top teams and the Caps and Pens slightly below. Nobody stands out after that, but I think Toronto is on the better end of the rest of the lot.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The Pens won the games they should've won and lost the ones one would've figured they'd lose over the last 7.

I'm not complaining.

I'm also not sure what four of the wins have to do with the caliber of teams they'd see in the playoffs.
Ehh, those last 7 games included wins against Washington, Florida, and Toronto, 0-1-1 against Tampa, and they killed Montreal and Detroit. With largely the same roster as they had tonight. I’m just saying. I think tonight was more a lack of effort and intensity than it was any sort of roster limitations. They just had a complete stinker of a game. Oh well.

Reactions: ncm7772

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t disagree. But the team in front of Murray didn’t show up to play tonight. If they had this game wouldn’t of been so lopsided.

Nah. The Pens showed to play and played a great road game UNTIL they went down 2-0. Then Riikola got the big chance everyone was begging for and blew his assignment on the Kapanen breakaway goal. After THAT, the Pens mailed it in. But, to say they didn't show . . . nah, that's a bridge too far for me. Sorry . . .

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don’t disagree. But the team in front of Murray didn’t show up to play tonight. If they had this game wouldn’t of been so lopsided.

I do think there was a certain element of turtling, right after Errey mentioned "feels like this is a 0-0 game" or something to that effect.

I do get inordinately annoyed about the turtling, but the Leafs had a very specific play where they had the 3rd forward rotate up high to get a pass from a point D man...because the Penguins were so collapsed down low all the time. Burned us with it a couple times.

Hope Selke Sid shows up in the playoffs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm trying to think of a good post that will send some posters off the deep end here, which shouldn't be hard to do. I think if I go with a Murray post that will be too easy.... hmmm.... lots of options available....

I think everyone aside from RG will admit that Murray was the least of their problems tonight.

Maybe make a hot take that we lost cause no ZAR?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

++Hornqvist
+McCann
+Lafferty

==Murray

------Malkin
-------Simon
--------Schultz
McCann hasn't scored in how long now? 12 or 13 games? He needs to start producing, period!

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad