Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I thought of

46592_88494.jpg

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I'll admit I was a little surprised with this pick, but by the 5th round it's hard to definitively say what's a good pick and what's a bad pick...it's really all up to team preferences and your scouting department. Sounds like he has a lot of upside, but it's definitely a pick based purely on potential (a la Cameranesi last year).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One of those picks where you don't have a clue how it'll turn out, similar to Tony Cameranesi.

They appear to really like his upside if he develops properly.

Keep in mind that Frattin was also very lanky and looked like a kid when he was drafted. Doesn't mean anything.

KesselPhaneufTML

Jul 17, 2010
Brantford, ON
yeah...his interview was pretty fail... "I don't know much about 'em"

Hahah yeah. He sounded like he's never been outside of Minnesota before, like he was really isolated from what hockey is like outside his state. I think the interviewer asked what his favourite team was growing up and he started talking about some local Minnesota team.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He'll be one of those 5 year projects. One year in the USHL, followed by 4 years of NCAA.

Going the same route as former 5th round pick Tony Cameranesi.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
Hahah yeah. He sounded like he's never been outside of Minnesota before, like he was really isolated from what hockey is like outside his state. I think the interviewer asked what his favourite team was growing up and he started talking about some local Minnesota team.

You mean the Wild? :sarcasm:

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal

Yeah, I thought he was talking about the Hamilton Bulldogs at first and I was confused. I just watched the interview again and wow, he really is clueless about BB and the Leafs.

He's pretty much the complete opposite of Finn.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout

We really like the Leafs pick in Dominic Toninato, very talented player, a steal at 126.

Scout for @hockeyprospect covering the NHL & OHL Drafts. Living in Sarnia, ON covering Ontario/Michigan with trips beyond.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Here's some additional information on Toninato:

http://mnhockeyprospects.com/2012-nhl-draft-prospects/dom-toninato/
Toninato is a solid two-way player that is a good skater and has tremendous hands. Toninato possesses great vision on the ice, allowing him to read the defense and find open teammates. Toninato is a great leader that makes the players around him better.

Toninato is not only a great team player but an excellent finisher as he does not waste anytime with the puck in the slot area. When he gets it, he releases it quickly. Toninato is open to playing a physical game or beating the opponent with pure skill.

Here's also an article after he was selected:

http://www.superiortelegram.com/event/article/id/235203/group/Sports/publisher_ID/36/

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
I'm not a HS Hockey expert, but I believe the HS league Stepan played in is considered to be more talented (competition wise). Just like the different divisions in the NCAA (where D'Amigo's performance wasn't seen as 'spectacular' due to being in ECAC).

Stepan played for Shattuck, which does not play in the Minnesota State High School Legaue with other teams in the state of Minnesota. They are considered in a league of their own. They play against more teams across the country, more of a junior schedule with a lot more games. It's completely different. Shattuck is independent of Minnesota high school affiliation. So they don't compete in state tournaments with other teams, like Toninato's.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hockeyprospect Blackbook:

Dominic Toninato – LC – Duluth East H.S., 6’0.5†165
Toninato is our best Minnesota prospect. He has finished playing high school hockey for Duluth East
this season. Dominic has good size, but a lanky frame which he will need to add a lot of s to. However,
we see a lot of similarities between him and a player like Derek Stepan. He has great hockey sense and
protects the puck very well so it is rarely exposed. He has a quick release and good shot and is able to
find the soft spots when he is in traffic. He is a Minnesota-Duluth commit.

Quotable: “This kids hockey sense is up with the best of them. I love his puck protection
skills, he understands how to use his body. This is a very talented kid with an overall solid
game who just needs to get stronger.†– Mark Edwards

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When will we see him with the Marlies?
Its unclear whether we'll actually offer him a contract. My guess is if he impresses next year we will try to sign him, but otherwise he becomes a free agent after losing his college eligibility.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It's always a bit unclear with NCAA prospects until they actually sign. But Toninato's progress is encouraging. Being number one Center and top goal scorer on the equivalent of an elite eight team, as a sophomore, is a noteworthy achievement. I have only seen him play one game, but he passed the initial eyeball test for me. If he continues to progress, I think he will be signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad