Post-Game Talk: Leafs 3 Bruins 2 // Matty gets his 70th and the game winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
With Liljegren, we badly need his ability to move the puck right now because it's definitely a weak spot with our current defence.

Benoit, Lybushkin, Edmundson bring very little in the puck movement department.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To me it seems Lillegren is hearing footsteps when he has the puck and is panicking. He's been run into the boards through the year, I think he's injured a shoulder that way last year. Too bad because our D lacks that Crisp puck moving ability already and he needs to bring it.

You can tell Liljegren is not a particularly brave guy. I’m sure Boston pre scouts for those character traits for whom to focus a forecheck on. Similar to Jake Gardiner in the past.

That’s what makes the Reaves Kampf Dewar combo so exciting as we finally have a blunt instrument to create havoc among their D ranks. Grcelyk is their Liljegren but there are also high value targets in McAvoy and Lindholm. Those guys need to be pasted into the end boards just like Liljegren has been targeted. Make them a little more weary on a retrieval, cough up a pizza here and there, feel the wobble in their boots.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Justin Bourne said it pretty good post game on leafs talk, good listen. He panic passes and just passes his problems to another teammate. Doesnt give them a better pass at all. Not ready for playoff hockey
I do think we all saw the obvious mistakes made but through the second half of the game, he was eating major minutes. 3rd in TOI.. He's not coming out.

Reactions: kb

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You can tell Liljegren is not a particularly brave guy. I’m sure Boston pre scouts for those character traits for whom to focus a forecheck on. Similar to Jake Gardiner in the past.

That’s what makes the Reaves Kampf Dewar combo so exciting as we finally have a blunt instrument to create havoc among their D ranks. Grcelyk is their Liljegren but there are also high value targets in McAvoy and Lindholm. Those guys need to be pasted into the end boards just like Liljegren has been targeted. Make them a little more weary on a retrieval, cough up a pizza here and there, feel the wobble in their boots.
Peeke looks like he might be out of the series now too after Reaves cleaned him up.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Not that one game proves anything but I can't imagine anyone ever making that claim.

You're right, Domi has kind of killed it. It was more of a thing last year.

Edit: to be clear this was more of a Mainboard narrative.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Boston 100% is coming back with Swayman. They’ve been alternating and it’s his turn and they won his game and lost ullmark’s, so there no question what they’ll do as far as I see it. Not that Ullmark is the reason they lost whatsoever
That's for sure, he played a really good game. Quite simply, the Leafs improved play is the reason they lost.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He hasn't been very good. He's getting pumped and dumped pretty hard too. He's a big body and all, but Robertson has been a lot more effective. He got robbed of 2 goals so far this series, whereas Knies has just been there.

I'd take my chance and let Knies stew for a game.
I'm the same, Knies effort is there but he's struggled

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If and when everyone is healthy of the forwards, they really should run a rotation for now... There really wasn't anyone in the lineup who doesn't deserve to be there, and then we have to add back Nylander and McMann.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Very big.. They now need to go to Wotherspoon or Lohrei. Peeke is not special but he's a large , aggressive, right shooting space eater. No small injury and Reaves is making his impact felt.
Lets just say it's infinitely more effective than whatever Denis Malgin would provide in a playoff series.

Eliminating a D-man like Peeke is absolutely huge. Absolutely loved Reaves' showing in Boston.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I am seriously starting to think we might be better off letting Marner walk for the cap space. Let him know he's not in the plans going forward and maybe he waives. Especially because Domi is doing his role better. Resign Domi long term though. Perfect beside Matthews and not surper expensive.

Hopefully we see Bertuzzi on the scoresheet soon.

Nice win by the team. I'm no fan of Samsonov but nice response by him.

Beautiful goal by Matthews.

Domi's not going anywhere. Desperately wants to be here, won't push for max dollars. Team would have to be stupid to not re-sign him.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Marchand stylistically is an odd profile for a captain. A very effective pest but dives, cries, Turtles, won't stand up for himself, which are questionable qualities for a captain.

He was acting like Draco Malfoy on the receiving end of the stupify curse after a scrum. Bertuzzi is a friend of yours, he didn't use a gun have some self respect

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
To me it seems Lillegren is hearing footsteps when he has the puck and is panicking. He's been run into the boards through the year, I think he's injured a shoulder that way last year. Too bad because our D lacks that Crisp puck moving ability already and he needs to bring it.
I mean, Lilj did end up missing 30 or so games thanks to a certain whining diver with a C...

Reactions: Al14 and TMLeafer

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Matthews had a GREAT playoff game so... Anything is possible. :)
did you miss the series against Boston where he scored 5 goals? or game 4 against tampa where he willed them back himself from 4-1 down?

Fourth line was excellent tonight too. Strong and heavy cycle game and not being liabilities is what we need. That call on Reaves was BS, good thing the refs evened it up.

That call was such bullshit; marchand was trying to take edmundson to the boston bench in the same game.

Reactions: Al14 and pdson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad