Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 3rd Rd Draft Pick (#83 OA via SJ) - Riley Stotts (6'0", 172 lbs, C, Calgary Hitmen)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Don't forget ATOs like Ferguson and Plouffe who, after decen't tryouts were signed to AHL contracts and probably have a good chance of making the Marlies.
Yeah, fair point, tried to focus on existing properties (and gave a nudge of respect to AHL contract Greening, cause he seems a good guy :) )
Ferguson sounded particularly interesting. Real good on the dot as I recall, produced well.
And quietly I still pull for Dzierkals and Piccinich to break through.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Not on my radar. But it looks like an interesting pick. This year will be a good indicator of his development. He was picked on his strong 2nd half (I imagine), so a lackluster follow-up season won't bold well. He will have to come out consistent from the start and build on his previous years finish. But hey, if he develops into a competent complimentary centre that'll be a nice add to this future group.

Stotts was buried on his previous team which was very deep, was subsequently traded and given a top line opportunity that he ran with on the Hitmen.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Stotts was buried on his previous team which was very deep, was subsequently traded and given a top line opportunity that he ran with on the Hitmen.

I'm aware. I hope he continues and produces over a point per game throughout the season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, fair point, tried to focus on existing properties (and gave a nudge of respect to AHL contract Greening, cause he seems a good guy :) )
Ferguson sounded particularly interesting. Real good on the dot as I recall, produced well.
And quietly I still pull for Dzierkals and Piccinich to break through.

I expect Greening is practically a player/coach at this point. From what I read about him Ferguson is pretty driven. I am looking forward to see what he does with his opportunity next year too to see if he can keep up his energy level.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
One of the more interesting picks for me considering the way he exploded in terms of production when joining his new team.

He was a top 10 pick in the WHL draft and has played for Canada in the u17 program.

If he comes out flying, he could be on the radar for the World Junior team. Would need a REALLY hot start, though.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Riley Stotts pick reminds me a lot of the Josh Leivo selection. Not that they're similar players, but they had a very hot finish to their respective seasons prior to being drafted in the 3rd round.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Durzi hopes Hockey Night in Canada dream comes true
While playing at a world under-17 tournament in Sault Ste. Marie, Riley Stotts had taken his skate off when a teammate stepped backward with his blade still on, slicing a couple of digits.

“It was an accident, nothing you could do about it,” said Stotts, Toronto’s third pick and 83rd overall last Saturday. “It cut a couple of toes, the tendons were severed, but they’re good now. I had a great doctor. I just have ugly toes now.”

That injury affected his first junior season with the Swift Current Broncos, but being part of a seven-player trade to a premier role with the Calgary Hitmen proved to be a turning point in putting the six footer on the draft radar.
“I want to grow, be a bit more consistent, get stronger and grow the mental part of my game,” he said. “Our team stepped it up at the end of last year and had points in our last eight games (almost making the playoffs). We’re looking to get better and I want to help out and be there for the guys.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad