Prospect Info: Leafs 1st. Pick - 4th. overall - Mitch Marner, RW/C, London (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't know about that. If Marner puts up similar numbers in the OHL this year as he did last year, its hard to imagine the Leafs sending him back to the O for another season.

Because of his age he has to either play in the NHL or OHL for the next 2 seasons.

Giroux went back for 2 more years and put up nearly 2 points per game in the Q those couple of post draft years.

This will not be a skill issue it would be a size/strength situation that will be the biggest factor in play.

Last edited:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
3 years or 4 years if you mean full time.

After being drafted he was sent back to junior hockey for 2 more full seasons and then split his 3rd post draft year between the AHL and NHL and then by year 4 after being drafted he became an NHL regular.

I believe Marner will follow a similar path and Leafs will take a patience approach in his development.

Patrick Kane is a much better comparison.

If Marner puts up anything close to Kane's 18yo season then he'll be in the NHL next season. Even spot duty in 45-50 games while practicing/training with professionals can go a long way in making him more physically mature.

Dominating the OHL for a 3rd season can lead to bad habits.

Unless he regresses he is 15 months from the NHL not 50.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Forwarads drafted in the 3-5 range and the number of years of development before playing in the NHL

Drouin-1
Lindholm-0
Galchenyuk-0
Huberdeau-1
Strome-2
Duchene-0
Kane-0
Schenn-2
Turris-1
Toews-1
Backstrom-1
Kessel-0
Pouliot-4
Ladd-2
Wheeler-4
Horton-0
Zherdev-0
Vanek-2
Svitov-1
Weiss-1
Christov-1
Gaborik-0
Torres-3

If you are a forward drafted in the 3-5 range you are playing in the NHL sooner rather than later. Id say Marner is likely to be starting with the Leafs in 2016-2017.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Because of his age he has to either play in the NHL or OHL for the next 2 seasons.

Unlike McDavid who has nothing left to do in the OHL, (he could put up 150 points in his sleep), Marner would benefit from a full year as the no. 1 C and assume the prime leadership role. Gone (possibly) are Domi/Dvorak/Bergman/Rupert and players a year younger than Marner are coming in. Leading them would be valuable. Also leading Canada at the World Juniors would be fantastic. Working on a full time center position while adding weight is probably the best scenario for him. Even though he could probably make the big team.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The only guys I seriously see making the Leafs next year are.
Stuart Percy
Zach Hyman
Casey Bailey

I think management keep the others down for another season with maybe a few call ups.

I think you're referring to the 2015/16 season, but the OP there was talking about 2016/17, where we should see some more young guys cracking the roster. Maybe not the full list, but Nylander, Marner and others will certainly be pushing after another season of development.

Hopefully Leafs do not get desperate and keep to game plan. Marner needs to work on learning a new position and lengthening his stride. 1 year in London and 1 year with Marlies and then start the assessment.

Marner doesn't need to learn the Center position, he's a natural at it, it's where he's most comfortable. Having next year to solidify himself as London's #1 will be great for him though, and will show a lot of people just what he's capable of at the OHL level. Unfortunately, he's not eligible to play with the Marlies until the 2017/18 season, so he'll either play 2 more years of Junior, or 1 year before breaking into the NHL in 2016/17.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say Marner is gonna be in the OHL this year and make the NHL the following year.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Unlike McDavid who has nothing left to do in the OHL, (he could put up 150 points in his sleep), Marner would benefit from a full year as the no. 1 C and assume the prime leadership role. Gone (possibly) are Domi/Dvorak/Bergman/Rupert and players a year younger than Marner are coming in. Leading them would be valuable. Also leading Canada at the World Juniors would be fantastic. Working on a full time center position while adding weight is probably the best scenario for him. Even though he could probably make the big team.

I agree with your last couple posts. A full season as London's #1C, a major leadership role, and a big part on a (hopefully) successful WJC team, with some focus on core strength, and we can be very happy with Marner's +1 year.

None of that seems at all out of the realm of possibility, and is most likely where expectations deserve to be. He's a special player. I'm excited to follow him closely this year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yep.

I'm already planning to dump most of my Leaf tickets and spend more time/money going to London games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Patrick Kane is a much better comparison.

If Marner puts up anything close to Kane's 18yo season then he'll be in the NHL next season. Even spot duty in 45-50 games while practicing/training with professionals can go a long way in making him more physically mature.

Dominating the OHL for a 3rd season can lead to bad habits.

Unless he regresses he is 15 months from the NHL not 50.

If Leafs want to develop Marner into a center not a winger like Kane then he will need plenty of time in the OHL and even the AHL practicing face-offs and the position outside of getting bigger and stronger.

If Marner is the next Kane then perhaps he can arrive earlier on the scene if the plan is to develop him as a winger.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Have a feeling Dvorak will be back in London, will be tough to make the Coyotes outright with the young competition of Strome, Duclair and Domi, and how much Tippett like playing system oriented veteran.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have a feeling Dvorak will be back in London, will be tough to make the Coyotes outright with the young competition of Strome, Duclair and Domi, and how much Tippett like playing system oriented veteran.

I imagine if Dvorak is sent back he will play behind Marner.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
After being drafted, Giroux spent 2 more full seasons in the Q, and then another season in the AHL.

Giroux is precisely who Marner should be molded into.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I'd be surprised if Marner wasn't back in London next season. Mark hunter is going to have a lot of say on how Marner is developed down there. I could see them grooming him into a leader and potentially #1 C. Kids gonna be a huge part of the Leafs going forward.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
If Leafs want to develop Marner into a center not a winger like Kane then he will need plenty of time in the OHL and even the AHL practicing face-offs and the position outside of getting bigger and stronger.

If Marner is the next Kane then perhaps he can arrive earlier on the scene if the plan is to develop him as a winger.

He's coming off 1 season of dominating the OHL and about to have a 2nd.

The 'plenty of development' he needs is as a hockey player, not simply some positional obsession based on Leaf fans needing to know they have a #1 C.

Players determine their position with their play. Marner will be too advanced for the OHL to play there at 19 no matter what position he's playing.

Since he can't play AHL at 19 the only option is NHL action outside the OHL. Since you want to shelter him, you set realistic expectations for training/conditioning and hope to get him into 60 or so games with spot duty and if he earns more or exceeds those expectations then that's even better.

Personally the position has nothing to do with it as whether he's a LW/RW or C he's going to dominate the OHL again at 18. There's no need to re-invent the wheel in terms of development by thinking he can somehow learn more about being a C in the OHL vs a full season with the Leafs with a Marlie conditioning stint or 2 to train with pros and learn from pro coaches.

I really think you all spend wayyyy too much time obsessing over the positions of our forwards.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
After being drafted, Giroux spent 2 more full seasons in the Q, and then another season in the AHL.

I think Kane is a good comparison. High pick, smallish player, playing in London and putting up tons of points playing a similar style.

Kane's 18yo season: 58GP 62G+83A=145

Marner's 17yo season: 63GP 44G+82A=126

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
OHL next year, NHL the year after, as some previous posters have said this isn't a skill thing, more or less a size issue and gaining experience at Center

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
OHL next year, NHL the year after, as some previous posters have said this isn't a skill thing, more or less a size issue and gaining experience at Center

He'll have 2 summers, and an OHL season...

So 1 year learning centre, and 2 summers to add some mass.

e84*

I just hope Domi isn't back in London... it seems he dragged Marner's ppg down. From what I've heard reading on here he's a puck hog and takes low percentage shots. Max Domi is a potential 3rd liner at best, the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I just hope Domi isn't back in London... it seems he dragged Marner's ppg down. From what I've heard reading on here he's a puck hog and takes low percentage shots. Max Domi is a potential 3rd liner at best, the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

I would think Domi is AHL bound if he isn't with the Coyotes. Does he qualify for AHL?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Detroit model is to overripen their prospects and with Bobcock now I think some of that belief will wear off as he picks his team each year. Babcock talks about creating a "safe environment" for players and Leafs are still in the tear-down phase.

When your 160lbs soaking wet then you have to add mass and strength alone over time as a he matures which will take time.

I also used Giroux the player that fans most often compare Marner to as a reference for potentially a similar path to the NHL. I don't think the plan is to rush prospects to the NHL and patience and development the main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad